× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2015 09:14 #154538 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Sound's like you're going to have plenty clearance then.look foward to the updates B)
The topic has been locked.
More
27 Oct 2015 11:38 #154553 by X8GGY
Oooh, it just keeps getting better!

I'm having a front pair of JimnyBits' experimental springs, as already fitted to my laning mate's - Gary, funkyjimny - Jimny which has a heavy ARB winch bumper on the front... ;)

AND, have already sold my old springs to another mate... B)

:woohoo:
  • TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2015 14:12 #154575 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...

Jimny-Dave wrote: Oooh, it just keeps getting better!

I'm having a front pair of JimnyBits' experimental springs, as already fitted to my laning mate's - Gary, funkyjimny - Jimny which has a heavy ARB winch bumper on the front... ;)

AND, have already sold my old springs to another mate... B)

:woohoo:

This sounds very interesting Dave :)

As before. Will you take some measurements of these springs, both the experimental springs and the diesel 4" one :)

I'm working on getting a chart made with springs rates :-)
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2015 20:25 #154633 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Looking good Dave it's a right little beast now ;)
More
27 Oct 2015 20:53 #154640 by kirkynut
I like the new wheels Dave. As you know I was never a fan of the old Vitara alloys but I know you quite liked them.

It's getting some battle scars now then. Par for the course really. As has been said, they add character and you'll remember where each one comes from. A bit like window stickers people have of where they've been but only you and us forum members / blog readers know where they relate to!

Loving your work as always!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY
More
28 Oct 2015 11:59 - 28 Oct 2015 12:00 #154691 by X8GGY
Thanks Daniel and Kirkynut ;)

Yes, it's getting there, and yes, some battle scars, but it is intended to be a 'laner and not showroom quality ;)

A bit of flex testing today then, to check the tyres don't catch anywhere... especially the bumpers based on the photos above?!

Up on two car ramps then...

The opposite rear tucks in nicely...

Ooooh! Damn close!

And the front has 3/4" to spare...

Nowhere near hitting the bump stop though...

The opposite rear shock is at full stretch... (And the spring is still seated fully)

If I hang off the side to add my own weight I can get the tyre to hit the bumper... hopefully the new springs will sort this when they turn up later today...

Swapping the ramps to the rear...

The tyre sits an inch off the bumper...

And again 3/4" at the front (of the rear tyre)

Close! Again, hopefully the new springs will sort this...

At the front there's plenty of clearance again though...

And even if I stand on the bumper I can't get the tyre close to the bumper...

Ok this side...

But again, on the rear side on the ramps, the tyre is close to the arch, and if I put my weight on the bumper I can get it to touch...

Again, nowhere near the bump yet though...

Hmmm, so in summary, the front looks ok, but the back does look close... I'm hoping the new +4" springs on the rear will sort this though, and these are artificial results on ramps, it's different on real ground, where everything is moving up and down at different times...
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 12:00 by X8GGY.
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2015 13:31 #154698 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Looks like you will be fine then dave with the new springs.looking good !
  • Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2015 14:14 - 28 Oct 2015 14:17 #154703 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Get a true picture by taking the spring out on the corner with the ramp so its sits on the bump stop the extend the bump stops accordingly or take Mr angry to the offending to clearance.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 14:17 by Rockwatt.
More
28 Oct 2015 15:42 #154707 by X8GGY
Yes, was just looking at extended bump stops from www.zanfi.it but +65mm ones are 95 Euros plus shipping...

I used to sell 1.5" spacers for the original cones on the back... suppose I could stack a couple to give me 3" / 75mm...?

Until someone out there starts to supply them? ;)

Fronts are more difficult as they are bonded on? From what I can see...?

New springs are arriving today, fitting Sunday now, so I'll try it on the bumps then... Thanks! B)
  • TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2015 15:51 - 28 Oct 2015 15:57 #154708 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...

Jimny-Dave wrote: Yes, was just looking at extended bump stops from www.zanfi.it but +65mm ones are 95 Euros plus shipping...

I used to sell 1.5" spacers for the original cones on the back... suppose I could stack a couple to give me 3" / 75mm...?

Until someone out there starts to supply them? ;)

Fronts are more difficult as they are bonded on? From what I can see...?

New springs are arriving today, fitting Sunday now, so I'll try it on the bumps then... Thanks! B)

Do it the right way :)
[img]m.rally24.com/media/cache/tlo/res/img/products/35696/2/1/suzuki-jimny-ddis-t.jpeg[/img]

[img]m.rally24.com/media/cache/tlo/res/img/products/35696/3/1/suzuki-jimny-ddis-t.jpeg[/img]

Bump stops

They're available from Profender at around £95 each :-)
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 15:57 by TomDK.
More
28 Oct 2015 17:21 #154721 by maverick
I'm sure the tyres will catch/rub on full 'bouncing' ... mine do "just occasionally" and I have SERIOUSLY cut everything back - you just cannot replicate what its going to when you driving at 10-15mph Off Road.

I though Redacted 's process of removing a spring on each corner was a great idea :)

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
28 Oct 2015 20:33 #154741 by X8GGY
Looks like Redacted Eng will soon be selling bump stop spacers through the Bits4Vits store then ;)

And looking at the photos some more, and now I know silver Smoothrite paint is close to my ORA bumper's powdercoat colour, I could always take Mr. Angry to them, and trim them a bit...

Springs arrived at 3pm when the Parcel Force driver came to empty our Post Office... Shame the regular driver is off for the week, as he'd have dropped them off in the morning... so I'll be fitting them on Sunday now...

And... having a beer, or three, I've been "Sober for October", 28 days off the grog! Here's my sponsorship page, just in case! ;)

www.gosober.org.uk/profile/davejones2

£201 raised so far, plus whats in the collecting boxes in our shop and post office, I'm trying to reach my goal of £250, if anyone can spare a pound or two? B) All in a good cause! MacMillan Cancer Care :)
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds