× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
13 Feb 2015 15:07 #137808 by X8GGY
Ahh, you've had Vitaras? You might recognise some of my previous vehicles then...?

"Superzuki" climbing out of a bomb hole at Woodlands (ironically, as there's a current thread on the board regarding that awesome site) with it's twin LSDs...

Here's the video in fact -

And -

"Stealth" on Stannage Edge...
The topic has been locked.
  • Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2015 15:15 #137813 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
for my sins............ yup.

first one was excellent, barring an alternator failure, and a one time troublesome ignition fault/misfire.

second one looked fantastic, but let me down with two engine failures, and was part exchanged for a Citroen C2.

glad to be back into Suzuki 4x4's again!

those two Vits look superb Dave.

Paul.
More
18 Feb 2015 10:03 #138281 by X8GGY
BAH!

Day off, sun shining... drive into Rhyl (5 miles each way) to pick up sill protection bars.......

And.... the powdercoaters, for once, have let me down :(

Still sat there in bare steel... ho-hum, next week for them then...

Don't think they'll be missed for this Sunday's 'laning trip, but would have been nice to have them on...

Some Bits4Vits work today then :( LOL
More
25 Mar 2015 22:26 - 25 Mar 2015 22:46 #141349 by X8GGY
Not updated the build thread for a while... but did some more today B)

Offered up the sill protection bars and marked the chassis...

Then ground back to bare naked steel...

G-clamped in place...

Checked they looked in the right position and then MIGed them on!

Then onto some other little jobs... some 6mm thick rubber cut into two strips and then slots cut...

Slipped around the waffle board mountings to stop them rattling! :S

Then installed a power block that came out of the red Jimny I bought to transform into a buggy... as my co-pilot wanted somewhere to plug in his map reading magnifier / light, and I had reconfigured mine as a USB charger socket for the iPad / Memory Map GPS...

The blue illuminated switch is to turn it on and off as it has flashy lights all over it that will drain my aux battery, which it's wired to via the aux fusebox...

:( I'd noticed a couple of little pools of oil under where my front diff parks on the drive...

Traced to the third member (diff carrier) bolts settling in after the LSD was fitted so I tightened them up...

And as my filler plug is rounded off, I had to use mole grips to get it out to check the diff's oil level...

So, armed with a new filler plug from Martin's BigJimny Store B)

Oil level was fine, surprising how a little oil can run round and make such a mess! :blush:

Next job...not just some bling... since fitting the roof slider bars to protect the soft-top and hard-top sections, over 45mph there's a deafening whistle, so I figured this would stop the air whistling between the two front bars...

And, after a test drive B) Yup, all sorted :woohoo:

Does look quite cool too B)

Up-to-date photo with sidebars and chequer plate aluminium wind spoiler noise reducer ;)

Ready for another 'laning adventure then?

IIS12AYT? ;)

Dave B)

Back to the buggy next then...
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 22:46 by X8GGY.
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2015 22:31 #141350 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Good work !
  • Whaley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2015 16:21 #141390 by Whaley
Replied by Whaley on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Have you made the sill protectors or are they bought ??

Jimny-Dave wrote: Not updated the build thread for a while... but did some more today B)

Offered up the sill protection bars and marked the chassis...

Then ground back to bare naked steel...

G-clamped in place...

Checked they looked in the right position and then MIGed them on!

Then onto some other little jobs... some 6mm thick rubber cut into two strips and then slots cut...

Slipped around the waffle board mountings to stop them rattling! :S

Then installed a power block that came out of the red Jimny I bought to transform into a buggy... as my co-pilot wanted somewhere to plug in his map reading magnifier / light, and I had reconfigured mine as a USB charger socket for the iPad / Memory Map GPS...

The blue illuminated switch is to turn it on and off as it has flashy lights all over it that will drain my aux battery, which it's wired to via the aux fusebox...

:( I'd noticed a couple of little pools of oil under where my front diff parks on the drive...

Traced to the third member (diff carrier) bolts settling in after the LSD was fitted so I tightened them up...

And as my filler plug is rounded off, I had to use mole grips to get it out to check the diff's oil level...

So, armed with a new filler plug from Martin's BigJimny Store B)

Oil level was fine, surprising how a little oil can run round and make such a mess! :blush:

Next job...not just some bling... since fitting the roof slider bars to protect the soft-top and hard-top sections, over 45mph there's a deafening whistle, so I figured this would stop the air whistling between the two front bars...

And, after a test drive B) Yup, all sorted :woohoo:

Does look quite cool too B)

Up-to-date photo with sidebars and chequer plate aluminium wind spoiler noise reducer ;)

Ready for another 'laning adventure then?

IIS12AYT? ;)

Dave B)

Back to the buggy next then...

More
26 Mar 2015 17:03 #141391 by X8GGY

Whaley wrote: Have you made the sill protectors or are they bought ??

Bought... from the ORA (OffRoad Armoury), I believe they'll still make them to order?

Dave ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whaley
More
19 May 2015 08:45 - 19 May 2015 08:46 #144397 by X8GGY
Job for today... replace the rear prop as the UJ has gone in this one -

See the UJ wobble in the yoke without the diff flange moving...?

There's a noticeable "ting" when pulling off too...

Time to swap one of the spares in and later rebuild this one then...
Last edit: 19 May 2015 08:46 by X8GGY.
More
19 May 2015 12:17 #144399 by X8GGY
AH, update... Prop off the Jimny and the UJ is well and truly knackered... go to fit one of the many other props I now have "in stock" and none of them fit?! Wrong length or wrong end*, so I've just come back from the local friendly garage around the corner, and they are going to replace the knackered UJ in the prop that was on the Jimny, and swap the end from one prop to another from my stock pile, and replace the UJ at the same time so that I also have a decent, correctly fitting spare...

UJs will come to them tomorrow, Wednesday, so should still be ready for greenlaning on Sunday... Good job I started early in the week...!

Oooh, and there's two sizes of UJs? So they've ordered two of each size to be sure, and will send the others back...

*Some are 8mm and some are 10mm, and have different PCDs too...?! :blink:
  • Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2015 18:59 #144416 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Thanks for the up-dates Dave, always interesting to read what you are up to ..... ;)
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2015 19:01 #144417 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Bit of play there dave good job you spotted it.when i fitted my rear prop i had to drill the diff flange so it would fit.
More
19 May 2015 19:07 #144418 by X8GGY
It was even worse off the car Gaz :(

Thanks Tadpole ;)

After reading Martins writeup again, and Gaz's comment, I think I might also clamp an 8mm prop onto the diff flange with mole-grips and drill a set of 8mm holes between each of the 10mm holes, so I've got a universal diff flange B)

Dave ;)
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds