× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
02 Jun 2015 08:15 #145288 by X8GGY

gaz3359 wrote: Looking good so far,something id like to do be interesting to hear your feed back.

Will do Gaz...

My 'laning buddies Brett (Maverick) and Gary (funkyjimny) are both well chuffed with theirs... B)

I'd put off doing mine (don't like messing with brakes*), but having a bearing go forced me into doing it as the shafts had to come out anyway...

*although disks are a lot easier to work on than drums... hate fitting shoes into drums :ohmy:
The topic has been locked.
More
02 Jun 2015 08:17 #145289 by X8GGY
More
02 Jun 2015 08:28 - 02 Jun 2015 08:29 #145290 by X8GGY
Hmmm... looking at that photo, and the one on the JimnyBits listing -

Does it matter that the disk is not a tight fit against the end of the shaft? i.e. like the drum was, as you have to either get it off with a slide hammer or the two little 8mm bolts...?

I checked on Martin's listings for the actual disks and they available in 107mm and 108.3mm internal dimensions, yet the end of the shaft (/centre of the drum) is 100mm...

The disk is clamped between the end of the shaft and the back of the wheel though...?

Or am I over-thinking this again?...
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 08:29 by X8GGY.
More
02 Jun 2015 08:57 #145292 by Jezz
I have a different kit on mine (Rob Storr I think) but that bit of slack doesn't cause any problem on mine.

It's been fettled just a tad.
  • Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2015 09:00 #145293 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...

Jimny-Dave wrote:
Or am I over-thinking this again?...

yes you are dave as jimnys are stud centric not hub centric and if the disk is 0.2mm out of true laterally it would make no difference to balance at all ! especially as off road tires can be up to 5mm out of true lol
More
02 Jun 2015 09:40 - 02 Jun 2015 09:41 #145294 by X8GGY
I just thought the tight tolerance fit was some of the strength, like a propshaft/spacer, a lot of the strength is in the tight fitting, and the bolts clamping it together too of course...

The index of the flanges fitting together (in the propshaft/spacer example)...

Not the best at putting things into words :blush: :unsure:

So why are the drums such a tight tolerance fit then?... and the front disks for that matter?...
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 09:41 by X8GGY.
More
02 Jun 2015 09:50 #145295 by Jezz
Your probably correct Dave reference the props etc. But the rear wasn't designed to have discs so there has to be a compromise somewhere using existing parts available. Just my thoughts anyway.

It's been fettled just a tad.
More
02 Jun 2015 10:30 #145297 by X8GGY
More
02 Jun 2015 15:14 #145316 by X8GGY
Just got back from walking our Labradors, and while I was out one of the lads from the friendly garage around the corner has dropped my shafts off complete with new bearings and ABS rings...

And tomorrow?... just happens to be my day off!

B)
  • Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2015 17:19 #145327 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
All the strength comes from from the flat surfaces being pressed together to form a frictions joint. The regester only lines everything up untill its all tightened ! the studs do a good enough job of that to stop it fouling the calipers. And the wheels nuts pull the wheel true so all is good !
The only time it would rely on the register is if the wheels nuts come loose but if that happens then its game over anyway lol
More
02 Jun 2015 19:34 #145334 by X8GGY
  • funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
03 Jun 2015 08:54 #145346 by funkyjimny
My Rob Storr kit on my old green jimny was exactly the same except for using Jimny front calipers (and a transfer box handbrake) . I've been chuffed with the Jimnybits kit on mine, more brake balance front to rear with using the Renault rear calipers and much better handbrake.

Gary
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds