× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
22 May 2015 06:37 #144621 by X8GGY

Jezz wrote: It's funny this has come up, I've just made some two inch spacer's too weld to that Axel to limit the up travel.

Mine were originally made for the Vitara but fit the Jimny perfectly too (on the rear only) as the bumpstop cone is the same... it's just a matter of unscrewing the bumpstop and then screwing the 1.5" spacer into the chassis thread and then wind the bumpstop into the bottom of the spacer. (I've sold through all that I had though).

Presume this rubbing occured like this -

The topic has been locked.
More
22 May 2015 16:52 #144671 by Jezz
Mine are not as posh as yours Dave, But should do the same job.

File Attachment:

It's been fettled just a tad.
More
26 May 2015 16:59 #144853 by X8GGY
:( Back from Sunday's greenlaning trip, and the following morning I found...

Looks like I'll be changing my rear wheel bearings soon then?! :S

Just ordered a set to do both sides of the rear... from the BigJimny Store of course! B)

I suppose the Jimny has had 14* greenlaning trips since being rebuilt for greenlaning, and there is currently 50,276 on the clock...

*14 ?!... blimey that's soon clocked up?! B)
More
26 May 2015 17:35 #144854 by X8GGY
Hmmm... I've also got a JimnyBits rear disk conversion kit sat on a shelf in my garage... now would seem the right time to fit that as well... being as the shafts have to be out to do it too...

And, being as the Jimny has had 14 greenlaning trips, I'd better drop ALL the oils and replace them too...

Hmmm, going to be busy then! ;)
More
01 Jun 2015 21:34 #145267 by X8GGY
Made a start today...

Buggy out of the garage and under a tarpaulin so that the blue Jimny can get in the garage as it's persisting it down for the next few days...

So...

Having familiarised myself with Martin's guide to changing the rear wheel bearings, and JimnyBits' step-by-step guide to fitting their rear disk conversion kit, I got stuck in...

A bit of grey sludge on the drainplug magnet? Presumably the ARB airlocker bedding in, and the crown wheel reacquainting itself with the pinion :laugh:

Shaft and backing plate out...

And then attacked the backing plate with Mr.Angry as I had seen my 'laning mate Brett (Maverick on here) do with his... slit straight across as close to the bearing as possible...

And then up the sides of the bearing until the shaft can be released fro the backing plate...

The bearing and ABS rings are now being pressed on by my local friendly garage, so no problems with the filings flying around from the cutting... you'd have to take more care if you were just fitting the brake conversion plate and not replacing your bearings at the same time, obviously ;)

TaDa! B)

Then as per the step-by-step JimnyBits instructions, I took the levers off the Renault brake calipers -

And swapped one set for the JimnyBits replacements, and then swapped the small handbrake levers from side to side, and then...

And then fitted the handbrake cable spacer tube and acquainted myself with the fitting of the conversion plate now the shaft and drum brake backing plate are out of the way...

And finally I removed the old oil seals ready for replacement, especially as the offside has definitely gone -

And it makes sense to replace them at the same time as the bearings...

What a bugger of a job they are to remove though? I had a 10mm shanked hardened screwdriver flexing into a curve before they finally budged with an almighty twang as they came out?! LOL

Just got to wait for the shafts to come back with the new bearings and ABS rings fitted, and then rebuild it all and fit the rear disk brakes at the same time...
More
01 Jun 2015 22:18 #145272 by Jezz
Will the wheel studs still be long enough with a disc instead of the drum ?

It's been fettled just a tad.
More
02 Jun 2015 05:10 #145280 by X8GGY

Jezz wrote: Will the wheel studs still be long enough with a disc instead of the drum ?

Apparently?

Two of my 'laning mates have the kit fitted successfully...

Dave
More
02 Jun 2015 06:47 #145282 by maverick

Jezz wrote: Will the wheel studs still be long enough with a disc instead of the drum ?

YES, long enough - the kit is designed to fit on Standard Rear Half-Shafts and Standard Discs. The only modification is that it requires Renault Calipers, which were on offer a the time (no brainer). Its a brilliantly designed kit and goes on in under 2hrs (1hr per side).... and too boot, I now have a brilliant hand-brake!

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
02 Jun 2015 07:00 #145284 by X8GGY
I'll measure the thickness of the drum and the 'replacement' disk out of interest later today...

Might take me a bit longer than that Brett ;) You know how I love working on brakes :blush: :dry:

Dave ;)
  • Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2015 07:38 #145285 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Thanks for sharing your detailed work as always Dave ........ ;)
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2015 07:49 #145286 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Looking good so far,something id like to do be interesting to hear your feed back.
More
02 Jun 2015 08:11 #145287 by X8GGY

Jezz / All for reference...

The drums are 7mm thick, the disks are 6mm thick, so no problem... B)

Hope that helps...

Dave ;)
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds