BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

winches

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2012 12:33 #48113 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: winches
I'd be careful buying a used winch unless you can see it working first

our jimny came with a winch that was supposed to be fine - when I tested it there was just smoke sparks and a big bang - motor was knackered , gearbox was knackered - and that was a Warn :angry:

I'd rather buy a new 'cheaper' winch like a winchmax and know it will work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2012 13:25 - 14 Sep 2012 14:41 #48114 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: winches
And I know a couple of guys who bought used winches with succes.
So what does that say about used winches? Nothing. Just as with all others things bought used, there's always a chance.

I believe someone on this forum bought a second hand Goodwinch TDS 9500 for around £200 with great succes.

Cheap Warn winches are also made in China, just like Goodwinch, Superwinch etc. And can also break down.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2012 14:41 by TomDK.

More
15 Sep 2012 14:55 #48139 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re: winches

myers647 wrote: Hi mate I had a 6000lbs superwinch fitted into my standard bumper. This was quite easy to do. I have some good pictures which explains how I did it pretty much.
I know it wasnt the most powerful winch but it pulled me and a few landys out of some sticky situations. Im going to get a new one for my new truck. I will be getting one with a plasma rope as they are lighter on the front end & it will be a 9500lbs.

Thanks
James

Where can i find these pics of how to attach it?? Cheers

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 15:03 #48140 by TomDK

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 18:04 #48154 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: winches

TomDK wrote: And I know a couple of guys who bought used winches with succes.
So what does that say about used winches? Nothing. Just as with all others things bought used, there's always a chance.

I believe someone on this forum bought a second hand Goodwinch TDS 9500 for around £200 with great succes.

Cheap Warn winches are also made in China, just like Goodwinch, Superwinch etc. And can also break down.

Think if you read my post again - I said used is fine if you can see it working first

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 18:06 - 15 Sep 2012 18:11 #48155 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: winches

darthloachie wrote:

TomDK wrote: And I know a couple of guys who bought used winches with succes.

Think if you read my post again - I said used is fine if you can see it working first

Sorry :-)
You're right about that :-)
Last edit: 15 Sep 2012 18:11 by TomDK.

• champmac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2012 08:33 #49892 by champmac
Replied by champmac on topic winches
A powerful, waterproof 12V winch for 4x4, leisure and vehicle recovery.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2012 09:22 #49904 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic winches

champmac wrote: A powerful, waterproof 12V winch for 4x4, leisure and vehicle recovery.

ok ??

More
10 Oct 2012 09:47 #49906 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic winches
Just an update really i got a 13000lb winch off ebay on an auction for £210 delivered from germany just got to ask my mate to weld the mounting bracket to my car. On them pics was any rear support added for strenthening as someone said id need some? Cheers

• Jenky
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2012 20:24 #49942 by Jenky
Replied by Jenky on topic winches
Could any of you guys point me in the right direction of a compact, light weight winch that is reasonably priced?

It will be an emergency winch only. I won't be out off roading getting stuck using it to drag me out of 4ft deep mud on a weekly basis. It will only ever be used one in a blue moon (if ever) to say, pull me up a slippy bank side while out hunting.

I'm not fussed if its slow as it will only ever be used as a last resort really. Just don't want a Huge lump on the front of my little jimny.

The cheaper the better. Thanks.

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 15:59 #49987 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic winches

Jenky wrote: Could any of you guys point me in the right direction of a compact, light weight winch that is reasonably priced?

It will be an emergency winch only. I won't be out off roading getting stuck using it to drag me out of 4ft deep mud on a weekly basis. It will only ever be used one in a blue moon (if ever) to say, pull me up a slippy bank side while out hunting.

I'm not fussed if its slow as it will only ever be used as a last resort really. Just don't want a Huge lump on the front of my little jimny.

The cheaper the better. Thanks.

I can understand the 'need' to have a winch even if its hardly ever going to get used. BUT....

It does sound like you could be better off with a Tirfor hand winch or maybe even a Hilift jack and some recovery gear?? Just could be a cheaper option.

More
11 Oct 2012 16:10 #49991 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic winches
If you want a winch go on ebay and just either search winches or search jws shop thats the shop i got my 13000lb winch from it cos around £210 delivered from germany and got it in about a week not managed to mount it yet though that should be happening this weekend with any luck:) hope this helps:) also you will need a minimum of 4000kg dead pull for incase you get stuck (according to a winch website)

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds