BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

winches

More
15 Jul 2012 15:51 #44193 by Basketcase
winches was created by Basketcase
Hey guys im looking/thinking about getting a winch fitted to the front of my jimny but i dont know what size winch id need iv been told i need one that can pull about 2500kg but is that rolling stock or what im really confused. i found a winch on ebay it says its 2000lb straight pulling and 6000lb rolling stock would one this size be suitable for occasional off road use or would i need to get a bigger one?like for example a 4000lb straight pulling?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2012 16:20 #44197 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: winches
You'll need a 6000 lbs winch as minimum.

Preferably a 9500 lbs winch, like Superwinch Talon 9.5 or Goodwinch TDS 9.5c

www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2012 17:31 - 15 Jul 2012 21:45 #44200 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: winches
Yeah I second that. I've recently got myself a Goodwinch 9.5. Better to be over-engineered I say, rather than stuck up to your axles in mud in the middle of nowhere.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2012 21:45 by Smoggy.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2012 19:10 #44208 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: winches
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentI got one of these its a cheepi but been very good , they also do a sythetic rope version
Recently saw the same winch fitted to a snatch landrover so carnt be to bad :)

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2012 20:02 #44219 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: winches
don't waste your money on a 2000lbs winch it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding :laugh:

i would recomend at least 8000lbs as a min

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2012 00:14 #44248 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: winches
Although your Jimny may be light - and you would think that a winch powerful enough to lift the vehicle would be enough, it's not.

The reason is that if you are dragging a vehicle though mud, the amount of pull required is proportional to the amount of mud you are pushing in front of you. Chances are this will be as much as a Land Rover - thus, you need a similar rating to a winch on a Land Rover.

9500Lb is about right for most circumstances with most vehicles - but even with that, there will be situations where you need more and have to double-line it with a snatch block (pulley).

Si

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2012 12:56 #44267 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: winches
we have a winchmax with a synthetic rope - not the fastest but will pull you out of anywhere - its rated at 13000lbs

heres the website

www.winchmax.co.uk/acatalog/Winches.html
Attachments:

• stevedumptruck63
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2012 13:23 #44270 by stevedumptruck63
Replied by stevedumptruck63 on topic Re: winches
hi, mine is a 9500 superwinch and is well up to the job. steve. :evil:

More
17 Jul 2012 12:24 #44326 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re: winches
Alright thanks guys i found a 12000lb champion winch on a website for£234 delivered think ill go for that then try and fit it in/behind the bumper on a fabricated plate or something like that The libk for the winch is www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2170369/champion-c12000cta-12v-winch. If anyone can take a quick look and let me know if that should be suitable itd be great. Cheers

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 13:23 #44332 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: winches
Its the same one i mentioned on ebay , good winch but may be to big for a stealth mount . I have mine on,a hd bumper

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 14:10 - 17 Jul 2012 14:11 #44340 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: winches

Basketcase wrote: Alright thanks guys i found a 12000lb champion winch on a website for£234 delivered think ill go for that then try and fit it in/behind the bumper on a fabricated plate or something like that The libk for the winch is www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2170369/champion-c12000cta-12v-winch. If anyone can take a quick look and let me know if that should be suitable itd be great. Cheers

I my mind, these big cheap winches are way too painfully slow... So unless you're on a tight budget I'd look for something a bit smaller and faster. Like the aforementioned Superwinch 9500 or Goodwinch 9.5. And yes, they are more expensive but also comes with a much wider range of accessories and better service. Also with possibility for motor upgrade for more speed and power.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 14:11 by TomDK.

• PsiDOC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2012 00:47 #45616 by PsiDOC
Replied by PsiDOC on topic Re: winches

X-Eng Simon wrote: Although your Jimny may be light - and you would think that a winch powerful enough to lift the vehicle would be enough, it's not.

The reason is that if you are dragging a vehicle though mud, the amount of pull required is proportional to the amount of mud you are pushing in front of you. Chances are this will be as much as a Land Rover - thus, you need a similar rating to a winch on a Land Rover.

9500Lb is about right for most circumstances with most vehicles - but even with that, there will be situations where you need more and have to double-line it with a snatch block (pulley).

Si

To further what Simon has said. Where I work we had a winch company in fitting huge 3 phase lifting winches inside the stacks so I asked them what the lifting capacity was of a winch that only was pull rated. The chap I asked didn't know at the time, however he found for me from the tech bods back at his HQ.
Recommended to derate to 0.6 of the pull rating.
So if you have a 9,500 lb winch then it's rated to 5400 lbs straight lift. (9000 x 0.6)
A 6,000 lb winch is rated to 3600 lbs.
Obviously this is on the first layer of the drum assuming a serviced good quality winch without knackered motors or worn out gearbox.

Psi

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds