× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

More
13 Oct 2024 19:04 #257868 by 300bhpton
A few updates.

Fitted some extended diff breathers. Using a kit from Vitmods and routed the breathers into the engine bay:

eventually decided on a location for the CB mic:

And also fitted, although not yet wired in, a rear working/aux reverse light:

I had to modify the bracket to get the hing cover to fit. Not a major mod, no idea why it doesn't come so that the cover fits back on. I sadly trimmed a little too much of the cover, when getting it to clear. Mostly because I hadn't at first realised the bracket blocked off the mounting holes for the cover. I'll try and get another cover in due course and do a tidier job, plus get it all wired in.

I'm off to Salisbury Plain for a few day laning too. Will be good to see how the Jimny gets on.s

In other news, my front tyres are looking pretty worn. Think they have done 26-27 thousand miles now, which I'm quite ok with. But it does look like I'll be needing some new tyres in the New Year or sooner. In fact, I wouldn't mind a bit more tread for Salisbury Plain given how wet it has been. But it'll be what it'll be.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2024 16:20 - 14 Oct 2024 16:20 #257872 by 300bhpton

A bit foggy and muddy on day 1. But pleased so far with how the Jimny is coping. Also got a record high mpg on the way down. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2024 16:20 by 300bhpton.

More
15 Oct 2024 18:16 #257890 by 300bhpton
Day 2 Salisbury Plain. 

Had a great day today. Went and filled up, well topped off the tank. Then hit the lanes. Was out all day and showing an average mpg of 17.1!

The Jimny has excelled at laning today. Comfortable and capable. Lack of under the diff clearance has showed itself once or twice. But mostly fine. But did get stuck in some ruts that the Land Rovers in the group breezed through. 

Some taller tyres might be in order at some point. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42

More
15 Oct 2024 18:29 - 15 Oct 2024 18:29 #257891 by 300bhpton
Last edit: 15 Oct 2024 18:29 by 300bhpton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42, Soeley

More
15 Oct 2024 20:34 #257894 by DrRobin
Looks great fun and I bet you are glad you got the breathers done.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Oct 2024 20:53 #257924 by 300bhpton
Day 3, the final day in Salisbury Plain.

Didn't do as many lanes today, but still got a few in.

Sadly I did get stuck again, although, like yesterday I was leading. I attempted to straddle a deep rut, but the bank was higher than it looked and as the drivers side went up, it pulled the passenger wheels into a rut and sat me on the diffs/chassis and anti-roll bar links. Had I been in my Land Rover, I'd have just driven in the ruts.

It all got a bit leany and took a few recovery attempts to get out, plus a big of digging with a shovel from my brother.

Had I not got stuck here, I would have 50 yards up the lane. The ruts got deep and there wouldn't have been room for anyone to have gotten past. And no room to turn around. As it was, my brother lead in his Ninety and we had the rope on and all got to the other end with no more dramas, but it was sliding on the diffs quite a lot and certainly needed a bit of assistance.

That said, I'm still hugely impressed with how the Jimny has gone. I'm also impressed with the tyres, despite the fronts being quite worn, I haven't once felt lacking for tyres grip (just clearance). And I've been able to drive in and out of most of the ruts to pick a line. I really wanted to get Mud Terrains next time round. But in reality All Terrains make more sense as it is my daily driver. And with how the Wormdrives have performed, I think I'll probably go for another set.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42, Soeley

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds