BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My First ZOOK!

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
09 Oct 2020 08:06 #228937 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic My First ZOOK!
Update:

I've had the new dancing shoes fitted, the tyre recommended by you all (BFG K02). I felt the one major drawback of these tyres is the price, at the moment they seem to be retailing for £130 per corner - mail ordered in 215/75/15!

I managed to get them fitted for £115 a corner by a new local garage. I'll give them a shout out because they really went the extra mile for me, they had a really clean facility and were more than happy to discuss personal requirements. They were also very understanding of the fact that the wheels had just been re-furbished, they let me watch the whole fitting process and talked me through the balancing steps.

If you live in the Bristol/South-West area I'd highly recommend them!

I think the wheels look awesome wrapped in the new rubber B) tell me what you think?

To follow in the next couple of days, I'll weigh the new and old tyre wheel set-up as a comparison. I'll also talk about the TPMS bypass system that I've purchased. Of course they'll be photos of them fitted to the ZOOK!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2020 08:38 #228938 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:My First ZOOK!

DAGZOOK wrote: Update:

I've had the new dancing shoes fitted, the tyre recommended by you all (BFG K02). I felt the one major drawback of these tyres is the price, at the moment they seem to be retailing for £130 per corner - mail ordered in 215/75/15!

I managed to get them fitted for £115 a corner by a new local garage. I'll give them a shout out because they really went the extra mile for me, they had a really clean facility and were more than happy to discuss personal requirements. They were also very understanding of the fact that the wheels had just been re-furbished, they let me watch the whole fitting process and talked me through the balancing steps.

If you live in the Bristol/South-West area I'd highly recommend them!

I think the wheels look awesome wrapped in the new rubber B) tell me what you think?

To follow in the next couple of days, I'll weigh the new and old tyre wheel set-up as a comparison. I'll also talk about the TPMS bypass system that I've purchased. Of course they'll be photos of them fitted to the ZOOK!

That looks great.
Jip we need pics of them fitted also.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
09 Oct 2020 08:57 #228939 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
Are the wheels standard on a gen.3 Jimny?
I agree they do look the part in satin blackB)

Roger

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
09 Oct 2020 09:41 #228940 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
Hello Roger,

Yes they're genuine 3rd Gen. Jimny steel wheels, finished in U-Pol Raptor black. Very tough, slightly textured finish.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
09 Oct 2020 09:44 - 09 Oct 2020 09:45 #228941 by DAGZOOK
Update:

Wheel & Tyre weight before and after:

Gen.3 Steel wheels and BFG K02 in 215/75/15 = 23.2kg.

Gen.4 SZ5 alloys and 195/80/15 Bridgestone Duellers = 17kg

So that's a 6kg rotational weight gain per corner. If I'm honest I thought it would be more.. I'll feedback any effect on the vehicles performance in due time.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 09:45 by DAGZOOK.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
09 Oct 2020 13:47 #228942 by DAGZOOK
UPDATE:

Fitted the replacement wheels this morning. I'm happy with the way the car sits on them, granted I don't think they're as 'pretty' as the factory alloys, but for all intended purposes they'll take a beating and I won't feel bad about it. The factory wheels and tyres will remain in storage and may come out again in the future who knows :P

On very first impressions, rather unexpectedly the car seems to sit more firmly whilst parked and on the move. The stiffer sidewall of these tyres has dramatically reduced the 'rolley polley' feel of the Jimny. This left me pleasantly satisfied because it goes to show the factory suspension wasn't entirely at fault in that department.

There is a noticeable difference pulling away in first gear, the car is just ever so slightly slower to 'pick up'. But to be honest, it doesn't bother me in the slightest because I drive the jimny like miss daisy anyway!! the car handled corners better than before, again exhibiting less body roll, most likely down to the stiffer sidewalls. Only time will tell how these tyres truly perform, but at first glance I'm really thankful that I followed everyones advice and went for the BFG's.

Take a look for yourself.. B)

Attachments:

More
09 Oct 2020 14:11 #228943 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic My First ZOOK!
They look great, I think the standard steel wheels really suit the Jimny well, they have come up really good. The only reason I didn't do my wheels black was because I have black paint and thought it would have been too muck all black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
09 Oct 2020 14:19 #228944 by DAGZOOK
Thanks Soeley. I can see why you took that road and the finished result looks awesome on your zook too. I personally think a gunmetal grey/silver looks better, but I wanted a finish that would be ultra low maintenance and hide the dirt/brake dust well. So black raptor it was! :lol: :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
09 Oct 2020 19:22 #228950 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic My First ZOOK!
Thanks for the info DAGZOOK.

Roger

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
09 Oct 2020 20:04 #228952 by DAGZOOK
I'm really struggling with the Iron Gates TPMS bypass kit, I think it may be my positioning of it in the car. It states it needs to be as close as feasibly possible to either of the rear wheels, I've been trying to mount it discreetly under the drivers seat.

I can't understand why it would need to be close to the wheels when there are no sensors present...

Keep calm and carry on. Seems like a lot of commotion getting the thing sync'd, but we'll get there. Trying to drive somewhere continually at 30mph (50kmph) is actually really difficult...

Has anyone else who's fitted this bypass system got any tips?

Instructions for the kit are here: Link

More
09 Oct 2020 20:51 #228956 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
I didn't understand that part of the instructions either, the pickup module is central in the car so why the fake sender need to be near a wheel is a mystery.

Part of the information sent should include angular velocity so that the central unit can calculate which sender is on which wheel. Perhaps it needs to be on a corner of the car to get some sort of angular reference for it's fake calculations?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
09 Oct 2020 20:55 #228957 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
And the bit about the driving steady is one area what my upcoming video is about, how to help get around that. It takes a bit of explaining, if you are still stuck I will send you a pm tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds