BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My First ZOOK!

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
05 Aug 2019 14:09 #211853 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic My First ZOOK!
Geordie,
They are Thule evo wingbars finished in matte black :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GeordieJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2019 15:36 #211854 by GeordieJimny
Replied by GeordieJimny on topic My First ZOOK!
Ah cool thanks! Didn’t know they did them too. Nice.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Aug 2019 17:56 #211856 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic My First ZOOK!

amtech1 wrote: Welcome to the forum, nice to see more and more gen 4’s popping up. I’m in the South Wales area as well looking for areas and green lanes to legally use but still no luck at the moment. Let me know if you find anywhere.

Have a look at joining GLASS. They have an excellent mapping system called Trailwise (trailwise2.co.uk) that shows the lanes and has notes about their condition, legality, etc. GLASS also fights for users rights and promotes/funds lane maintenance, so the membership fee is worth it for that alone. www.glass-uk.org/join-glass.html

Also there is the council. Your local county council will have something called 'definitive map'. This is usually avaliable online, or at least an overview. They can be clunky and sometimes outdated, but do at least help in the search for a legal lane. Emailing the rights of way officer should yield results and is the only real way to confirm rights of access.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
05 Aug 2019 17:58 - 05 Aug 2019 18:09 #211857 by DAGZOOK
Evening All.

To those who wanted some specific details about the size/s of Spigot/s on the front and rear differential along with the Transfer case breather Spigot, I have taken some measurements for you.

Front & Rear diff spigot (Measured at highest available point) Is = 13.8mm dia.

The transfer Case Breather spigot is impossible to measure at this stage due to the spring loaded cap not lifting up enough to be able to get a set of Calipers on it :(

However with the cap on, it measures 12.5mm dia and shorter in height than the diff spigots. So i'd deduce that it's between 8-10mm dia. (could be wrong). The Pre-Facelift Jimny had two T-case breathers, one large and one small. I can only see one on the gen 4, although I could be wrong so correct me if you have any more information!

I think access to the transfer case breather is do-able on a decent set of DIY drive up ramps, there is a reasonable amount of hand space. I'll be really disappointed if I can't complete this job and extend the breathers on both diff's and the transfer box. It'll make a farse of the whole thing really as I'll still only be able to take the Zook as deep as the axles (ish).

Here are some photos for reference: (Photograph of transfer box taken from Front Offside)

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 18:09 by DAGZOOK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
12 Aug 2019 19:06 - 12 Aug 2019 19:10 #212057 by DAGZOOK

Evening All,
The parts are starting to arrive thick and fast, so I thought I'd give you an update. I've planned to use the following components for this Diff breather install: (Most of which can be found for pennies on ebay)

- 12mm (I.D) Reinforced fuel hose 1m.
- 2 x 12mm x 3/8 bsp Hose connectors.
- 2 x 3/8 (male) to 1/8 (female) BSP reducers.
- 5 x Stainless steel jubilee clip, 13mm - 19mm.
- 4 x Titanium Fuel P clips (All I can say is that they're usually fitted to a Jet engine :laugh: - good enough for an Aero engine = Good enough for a jimny!)

The plan is that the fuel hose can be slipped straight over the 14mm spigot on the front and rear diff's, it may require some warm water to make the hose more Flexible. I chose Fuel hose because it's extremely tough, it can cope with flex and shouldn't kink.

I plan to run a half metre length of hose up to the bodywork, then clip it with a P clip. The barbed hose connector secured by a jubilee clip will step me down to the Semi - Rigid Polymer hose supplied in the ARB kit.

I would not recommend running the supplied ARB hose over and down the axle, it's more of a semi-rigid hose and should be treated as such. It'll be fine with long gradual bends without being exposed to constant movement.

Here's a few photos of the Bits I gathered for this Modification! I hope to get under the car this weekend weather permitted..
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 19:10 by DAGZOOK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Soeley, crash486

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
17 Aug 2019 16:58 - 17 Aug 2019 17:05 #212216 by DAGZOOK
*UPDATE* The ARB diff breather kit was fitted today in the sunshine. As already stated, I chose to run a 500mm length of Fuel hose up from both front and rear differentials, so that the fuel hose did the flexing rather than the semi-rigid ARB hose. As already stated by Gadget, it kinks easily and should be treated like a semi-rigid pipe.

I've heard other users saying that the diff breather valve caps are difficult to get off. They are 'peened' in two locations, therefore any method that includes pliers or grips will just make your life a misery because in affect your'e just squeezing them onto the spigot tighter. I used a slim line 1" adjustable spanner, placed it on the spigot underneath the cap, set it to the diameter of the spigot, then just gently levered upwards, the caps came right off with no fuss. They're in such good nick that you could probably re-use them!

I did this job with the zook on axle stands placed underneath the chassis legs. This is important because the axles need to be fully 'relaxed' so that you allow enough pipe to be present to avoid any pulling during axle articulation. However, Because i've specified that 500mm of pipe will be long enough for front and rear axles, anyone who was to copy this method would be able to do this job on ramps etc. The aerospace poly pipe clips with prevent any chaffing on the mounting points.

Rear pipework was run along the rear brake pipes (safest route). Front Pipework was run up into the engine bay, I just allowed the angle of the diff spigot to dictate where I ran the hose, because then there is no chance of kinking. It was then clipped to the front radiator mount.

One thing to be aware of, is that underneath the cap there is a little rubber washer. Make sure you remove this before pushing your hose onto the spigot! otherwise this whole activity is a waste of time! :laugh:

Here are some photos of the Job. Hope this helps a few people! This is a very easy Mod and i'd highly recommend the ARB kit to anyone.

Last edit: 17 Aug 2019 17:05 by DAGZOOK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Aug 2019 17:28 #212217 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic My First ZOOK!
Chuffin' ell'

Now thats a heavy duty breather pipe :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
17 Aug 2019 17:40 #212218 by DAGZOOK

Riccy wrote: Chuffin' ell'

Now thats a heavy duty breather pipe :laugh:

I let the Engineer OCD get the better of me some times :laugh: :laugh:

More
18 Aug 2019 16:29 #212261 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic My First ZOOK!

GeordieJimny wrote: Suzuki nailed the colours.

Such an awesome design.

Correct on both counts!

I look forward to making a bodykit in 5 years time when I can afford one :D

Literally a runaway success for Suzuki!

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
19 Aug 2019 16:27 - 19 Aug 2019 16:28 #212307 by DAGZOOK
Just picked up this cheeky spare wheel cover. They offer some awesome designs for the Jimny and in a range of colours dependant on the individual! At a bargain price aswell compared to the genuine suzuki ones...

The size calculator suggests these are a perfect fit for the standard wheel on the zook. Can't really go wrong for £13.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F183817160290
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Aug 2019 16:28 by DAGZOOK.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
31 Aug 2019 08:43 - 31 Aug 2019 08:49 #212904 by DAGZOOK
So my spare wheel cover arrived this morning all the way from china! It was a bit creased from transit, but it should settle in the heat/sunlight.

Over the moon with it. Absolute bargain for 13 GBP! It easily fitted the standard 195/80/15 tyre, I'd say it'd probably fit the common 215/75/15 tyre too.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2019 08:49 by DAGZOOK.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2019 12:51 #212912 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My First ZOOK!
That's quite cool. Just remember to occasionally take it off and let any trapped water out, the last one of those I had helped to rot the spare as it was fairly constantly damp.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds