× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Repair or scrap / break

More
17 May 2023 13:08 - 31 May 2023 15:31 #249148 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break
Deleted as posted elsewhere

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Last edit: 31 May 2023 15:31 by Paul4A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2023 14:33 - 12 Dec 2023 22:19 #252824 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Repair or scrap / break
The Jimny had just passed its MoT again, with no advisories so we’re very happy.   It’s 24 years old now, 21 in our ownership so doing well.     

I spent my birthday money on having the steel wheels blasted and powder coated and they massively improve the looks of the car.  A few months ago I spent a few hours over several days lying under the car using rust converter, primer, paint and then a wax based sealer to isolated places to minimise further corrosion so I’m hoping to extend its life further.

Paul

photo added of it from a couple of weeks ago. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2023 22:19 by Paul4A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Darthblaker7474, Soeley

More
15 Jul 2024 17:10 - 15 Jul 2024 17:15 #256780 by Paul4A
We had a sticking brake calliper recently, just before a trip and put it in to a garage for replacement.  They did the job but advised that there’s not much life left on the pads.  The BigJimny shop is a little confusing in referencing Aisin and Lucas/Girling style pads.  Is there a date when the pad designs changed?  I might change them myself and want to ensure I get the right type.  I’ve not changed them on the Jimny before and wonder if there’s anything else that typically fails or needs replacing at the same time, e.g the spring fitting kit?

On an unrelated matter, I’ve noted recently that we’ve started to get hand waves from fellow Gen3 Jimny owners when passing in opposite directions.  It’s nice to have a Jimny owners wave.

Thanks

Last edit: 15 Jul 2024 17:15 by Paul4A.

More
15 Jul 2024 20:27 #256788 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic Repair or scrap / break
Sticking calipers are quite common.  We had one changed this winter, but caught it early enough (smell.of burning and a hot wheel when stopping for fuel) that the garage said there was no extra pad wear.

More
22 Jul 2024 06:47 #256898 by Paul4A
Any thoughts on my two brake pad related questions?   I've since watched a couple of Youtube videos and they didn't show the spring retaining clips.at all

I've since got another aspect to look at and that is slightly down on power for some reason.  It 's now struggling on a long hill on the A1 when it didn't used to.

As an aside, here's a photo of the Jimny on a recent holiday to the Lake District

Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2024 21:08 #257015 by Paul4A
After recently returning from a holiday to the Lake District in the Jimny it’s suddenly developed a drop in power when under load e.g. acceleration or especially when going uphill on a dual carriageway. There’s also an induction type noise that’s just appeared at around the same time. Could these be related to a failed lambda sensor, or failed connection where it’s inserted?

More
31 Jul 2024 12:50 #257028 by Paul4A
We took the Jimny to a garage for diagnosis this morning. His machine couldn’t read any fault codes but he found a split vacuum pipe on the engine. He suggested that might have affected the fuel air mixture and that he thought the exhaust / catalytic converter may be choked. He also found that there was a definite leak in the exhaust around the area of the lambda senso or manifold to front exhaust pipe joint. Both fixings were extremely tight and he didn’t want to risk snapping something when it wasn’t booked in today to have more work done. So another booking would be needed to investigate further.

Does that suggestion of a choked cat and leak seem feasible as the cause of our problem?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Aug 2024 03:18 #257035 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break
It does, it's not uncommon for the cat to disintegrate and bung the rest up.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul4A

More
01 Aug 2024 12:07 #257040 by Paul4A
Thanks Lambert.
It’s not something I’ve come across before but I’ve largely driven diesels for 20 years and recent petrol cars didn’t have this problem.

When you say bung the rest up do you mean the silencer(s) and if so, does that mean I’ll need a full new exhaust?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Aug 2024 15:39 #257042 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break
The cat will tend to fail upstream first and the debris will then clog the remaining part of the cat. Usually once replaced the residue will find it's way out of the tailpipe.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul4A

More
07 Aug 2024 11:14 #257123 by Paul4A
Took it back to the garage this morning as they’d suggested removing the lambda sensor briefly to see if it gained power which would confirm the blocked cat suggestion. They couldnt get the exhaust manifold to front pipe bolts undone but neither could they get the lambda sensor out. After a breaking release feeling the nuts / sensor went tight again suggesting the threads were getting chewed up.

With a suggested difficulty in getting parts for a 25 year old car they suggested a bit of a workaround by cutting the exhaust down pipe and sleeving it afterwards. So, a temporary cut to check whether power improves then possibly sleeving a new cat pipe on.

I’m reasonably convinced it is a blocked exhaust now as there’s blowing at the front as the pressure gets out there instead of going down the exhaust pipe and it’s quite fumey in the car too.

I did say that I could get a new lambda sensor if needed but perhaps another option might be to buy a second hand exhaust manifold which might not have issues unscrewing the cat, and use new bolts for the manifold to front pipe joint. There’s two currently on eBay but they may have the same issues as the cat is still fitted. A question is, is the exhaust manifold the same on all Jimny engine types? Ours is the early G13BB SOHC engine.

More
07 Aug 2024 12:48 #257124 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break

A question is, is the exhaust manifold the same on all Jimny engine types? Ours is the early G13BB SOHC engine.

No it's not - generally speaking, the manifolds are going to be different for every engine type - the M-series manifolds I believe will interchange, but the G-series won't work on an M-series or vice versa.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds