× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen4 - rocking side to side at speed

More
21 Aug 2024 14:48 - 21 Aug 2024 14:48 #257266 by Motacilla
Hello JimnyScott-

You tried the right things, reducing weight and increasing tyre pressure (higher than normal in the rear, right?).

The other thing to check would be the position of the weight relative to COG. Too much too high, or hanging heavy things off the rear, will have bad effects. Remember that a Gen4 Jimny has a very low weight limit, and also the centre of gravity is somewhere around the 4WD lever. Too much weight or weight that is too far from that point will make the little car squirmy.

Wheel nuts? On the LCV with steelies, I am going to say won't matter at all.

Failed shock absorbers might come into play at higher mileages, probably not in your case though.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2024 14:48 by Motacilla.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimnyScott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2024 04:58 #257311 by JimnyScott
I generally just re tightened them, they weren’t bad just a little nip up, but I did use my new torque meter to check they were the correct torque, I just done a search for the correct value, I can’t remember the torque was now, I was trying the new meter on everything,

More
28 Aug 2024 18:52 #257366 by saxj
A couple of years ago, I hit a big rock in long grass on a trail. I thought nothing of it as there was no visual damage apart from a ding in the front diff and a few scrapes on the rear. On the way home, I could not go over 80kph without the car swaying side to side. When I got home, I got underneath and with the handbrake up, rocked the car back and forth. I noticed excessive movement on the left rear radial arm on the chassis side. Tightening the radial arm bolt cured the problem. 

Shocks can last as little as 3 years, and I have also had them fail sooner. A dud shock will cause problems with handling.

More
30 Aug 2024 10:04 #257373 by Dan
I've been torquing my wheel nuts to 100nm on the jimny. I arrived at that figure from a bit of web searching. I'm sure if that value isn't correct someone will be along shortly to point out the correct number.

More
30 Aug 2024 12:41 #257374 by Gadget

I've been torquing my wheel nuts to 100nm on the jimny. I arrived at that figure from a bit of web searching. I'm sure if that value isn't correct someone will be along shortly to point out the correct number.
The workshop manual lists 100Nm for wheel nuts, so you're spot on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

More
31 Aug 2024 15:20 - 31 Aug 2024 15:20 #257379 by Gadget
Update: I've fixed it! It was the shocks. Swapped out the OME set for Bilsteins and it's all back to normal.

I'm no mechanic, but is it safe to assume that this isn't normal (see video):

youtube.com/shorts/Pks8g3bXuMQ?si=WV9gJFLwFyQMT-V-
Last edit: 31 Aug 2024 15:20 by Gadget.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds