BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

RPM dial does not work

More
04 Jun 2024 08:06 #256170 by Severins
Hey folks
I just replaced my camshaft sensor on my 1999 G13BB engine and the RPM dial doesn't work; Engine runs though. Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix this problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2024 12:44 #256171 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic RPM dial does not work
As I understand it the camshaft sensor drives works both as a position and rotational speed sensor.

The position (pulse) tells the ECU when to fire the spark plugs and if this wasn't working the engine wouldn't run.

The rotational speed is an average of the pulses over a period of time and gives the rpm.

My guess would be that as the sensor only has one output (a pulse), this is working, but for some reason the ECU isn't averaging/counting the pulses over a period of time, perhaps the length of the pulse is wrong?

Did you fit a genuine sensor made for the G13BB or an after market sensor?
Did you change anything else?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
04 Jun 2024 13:00 #256172 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic RPM dial does not work
There's a back story to this - why was the sensor changed? Was it because the tachometer was not working or because the engine was not working?

More
05 Jun 2024 06:40 #256180 by Severins
Replied by Severins on topic RPM dial does not work
I got an aftermarket part made by Delphi Technologies; #SS11461 EL 46 G SUZUKI, And I changed the sensor on the exhaust oxygen sensor.

More
05 Jun 2024 07:00 #256181 by Severins
the whole story is .... got this old timer as backup car very recently, engine stalled after a 40 mile drive on the motorway while changing drivers. Started up again after a 15 min pause. Same thing occured a few days later. Performance wasn't great either but I thought it could be the age. Found out about this forum and saw a video by bigJimmny about cam/crankshaft sensors. in the video there is a part about, leaking gasket in the housing. So to the car I went and indeed there was a small leak. So took off the housing, got a new 0-ring and replaced it; As I was there tinkering I also replaced the sensor and I found out somebody else replaced the oxygen sensor because right underneath the leak i found a cable wrapped in electric tape ( which partly came off because of the oil). Apparently somebody replaced the original with a model that had clips and did a MCgyver. So I took that one off also and replaced with a proper one that hat a original contact that I could plug in to the contact housing. Replacing the oxygen sensor was a bigger job because the thread in the exhaust manifold was damaged, so I also had to take that off and rethreaded. But finally when all was done I fired the car up. It was then I noticed the RPM dial remained motionless. Put the old sensor back in and no change. Haven't tried driving it on the road since.

More
05 Jun 2024 12:41 #256183 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic RPM dial does not work
So you're not in a position to say whether or not the tach was working before the cam position sensor was replaced - based on the manual, the tach is driven from the ECU, on the same circuit as the 4WD controller and the transmission controller (if it's an automatic) and the problem is going to be either wiring, the tach itself or one of the controllers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Severins

More
09 Jun 2024 07:43 #256225 by Severins
Thank you Fordem for the info. What is the 4WD controller, its a manual transmission. Should I check wether its in 4WD or not?

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds