× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Manual 4WD - 4H 4L in display?

More
22 Nov 2023 12:51 #252292 by Narge
Thanks for all your technical knowledge!

Yes, my Jimny is pre-2015 with manual gear shift 4x4 selection so confirmation that there would only be a 4WD light in dash and no Hi or Li light has really eased my mind.
​​​​

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2023 15:04 - 22 Nov 2023 15:05 #252295 by facade

I thought I was the only one that needs to hammer the 4L I don´t need to use it much, but when I do I am always like "oh well, here we go again". It usually takes me 2 or 3 tries!

I believe "They all do that Sir!"

Compared to the Gen 3 where I just snicked the lever back, let go and the detent knocked it into low, having to really be determined and force the thing past what feels like the engaged position definitely feels like something is wrong- I keep the pressure on when I put it into drive to make sure it is in now, luckily with an auto, you don't need low very often.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 22 Nov 2023 15:05 by facade.

More
22 Nov 2023 17:25 #252296 by Roger Fairclough
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you pull back to engage 4 wheel drive high range - green light on dash indicating 4wd - and then you push down and pull rearwards to engage 4 wheel drive low range. In this position various other lights come on and the green 4wd stays on. Now I haven't checked it but the fact that the other amber lights come on is probably an indication that low range has been engaged. As I said, I mean no disrespect.

Roger

More
22 Nov 2023 22:54 #252313 by facade

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you pull back to engage 4 wheel drive high range - green light on dash indicating 4wd - and then you push down and pull rearwards to engage 4 wheel drive low range. In this position various other lights come on and the green 4wd stays on. Now I haven't checked it but the fact that the other amber lights come on is probably an indication that low range has been engaged. As I said, I mean no disrespect.

Roger

The problem with the Gen 4 is that when you push down and backwards until the lever feels like it has moved fully into low, the dash plays a tune and all the lights come on alright, but more than 50% of the time it is in a false neutral and there is no drive.

Seems like a design fault to me and we are being collectively fobbed off by Suzuki, the selector obviously moves far enough to activate a switch, but not quite far enough to engage the gears, you'd expect a detent plunger to complete the selection and lock it in low if you were almost home- maybe the detent groove is too wide.....

When it is actually in low, mine doesn't jump out- yet, but I'm worried it might when the transfer box is out of the extended warranty.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
23 Nov 2023 08:53 #252319 by Roger Fairclough
Like most things in a g/box / t/box, all the bits that can change settings need usage to polish moving parts and ease engagement so I must remember to engage high and low range 4wd from time to time so that any problems are allowed to rear there ugly heads.

Roger

More
25 Nov 2023 18:58 #252382 by jackonlyjack
Just a quick question has anyone removed the gator to see if leaver is obstructed
This problem arrises on a Gen 3 when a body lift is fitted.the leaver hits the body work and jumps to false neutral.
Just a thought 
The following user(s) said Thank You: facade, Roger Fairclough

More
26 Nov 2023 13:02 #252395 by facade

Just a quick question has anyone removed the gator to see if leaver is obstructed
This problem arrises on a Gen 3 when a body lift is fitted.the leaver hits the body work and jumps to false neutral.
Just a thought 

I knew about the body lift causing a problem with the lever fouling on a Gen 3, but it never occurred to me that the designers of the Gen 4 would make such an elementary mistake- if they had surely there would be a service bulletin "In case of repeated customer complaint, pull the gaiter and cut a 10mm groove in the body" or similar.

I suppose they could have measured wrong or just used the measurements from the early Gen 3, and the Gen 4 box could be slightly different.
When the weather warms up next Spring I'll try to remember to have a look next time I put it in low.

More
26 Nov 2023 15:12 #252399 by Roger Fairclough
Are you suggesting that Suzuki should build a car in the knowledge that the owner may want to fit a body lift and they should allow the necessary room around the T-box gear lever to prevent possible fouling. First off they would need to know by how much you intend to lift it.

Roger

More
26 Nov 2023 23:32 - 26 Nov 2023 23:36 #252406 by facade

Are you suggesting that Suzuki should build a car in the knowledge that the owner may want to fit a body lift and they should allow the necessary room around the T-box gear lever to prevent possible fouling. First off they would need to know by how much you intend to lift it.

Roger

I'm only suggesting that they should be capable of cutting a hole in the floor that doesn't foul the lever when the car comes out of the factory :)

But now Jackonlyjack has put the idea in my head, I'll check the clearance in case the lever is hitting the floor, and all the required extra effort after it initially stops moving is levering the 'box forwards on the rubbers enough to fully engage low.

I wonder if I can see the lever as it goes through the floor from underneath...

Last edit: 26 Nov 2023 23:36 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds