BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Jimny Bits Swaybar (Anti Roll Bar) Quick Disconnect. Thoughts ?

More
09 Apr 2022 20:09 - 09 Apr 2022 20:19 #242804 by Rabid Rhino
www.jimnybits.com/jimny-anti-roll-bar-disconnect.html#reviews

I searched and found out that a few of you guys (Ricci, Boogie & Maverick) have this kit.

I spoke to a friend of mine about it & he's not convinced.
First off he said cutting the tempered sprung steel will ruin it.
Then he said the heat from welding the sprung steel will destroy the heat tempering that went into the spring processing.
I see his point but also I'm sure Jimnybits did their R&D so if it was no good or dangerous they wouldn't sell it.

Your opinions please

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2022 20:19 by Rabid Rhino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2022 20:26 #242805 by Busta
Both valid points. Also consider that by welding this non-springy thing to a significant length of it, you are stiffening the anti roll bar.
Having to lay on the ground and undo bolts isn't particularly quick or convenient.
You can achieve exactly the same outcome by removing the driver's side drop link, which also involves laying on the ground and undoing bolts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rabid Rhino

More
09 Apr 2022 22:23 #242810 by crash486
You can get one purpose designed, if you want to spend the cash.
www.hardracesuspension.com.au/suzuki-jim...-disconnect-sway-bar

crash486 JB74W

More
10 Apr 2022 03:56 - 10 Apr 2022 08:43 #242811 by Rabid Rhino
Guys, thanks for the replies.
I don't have an Anti Roll Bar on the Jimny & it's quite high. Although I have yet to drive it more than 100 feet in its current state & only 1/4 mile in its stock state I like the idea of a sway bar.
Parts are non existant here & shipping a whole one would be bulky.... Read expensive. So one cut in half would just about be affordable, I think.
Busta, my idea would be to heavily weld the sleeve to the cut ends of the Swaybar as there's nothing to ruin there. Fish mouth the opposite ends of the sleeve & do a couple of tacks to minimize heat to Swaybar. Possibly drill through both ARB & sleeve twice and insert a bolt or rod then plug weld the rod to the sleeve on both sides to stop the sleeve spinning round the ARB. Gonna speak to another friend who's a bit more of a metal head to see what he thinks.
Crash: >1,000 dollarydoos !!!!  Oh no ! They don't do it for my 1999 gen 3 JB33. Gotta say if I did have a 2018+, oh yeah I'd want one & would be saving.  That is trick.

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 08:43 by Rabid Rhino.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Apr 2022 04:23 #242813 by Lambert
One of the projects I had in mind for my last jimny was to fabricate a custom arb using a torsion bar out of an old Peugeot rear suspension. The design would have been simple using flat bar return arms like you see on American race trucks with adjustable holes in the arms to get different rates and on one side a suitable manual locking hub to act as a easy disconnect. Not hugely expensive but quite effective.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Apr 2022 06:40 #242814 by Riccy
I stuffed up welding mine so its permanently welded together on Ulysses. I cant say I miss being able to disconnect it though. Axle travel is enough for me most of the time and the front locker sorts it out when its not enough.

I did have a working one on the previous jimny and it worked well. Not arduous to disconnect before a days playing with the two bolts, use a set of mole grips to align the plates when putting back together at the end of the day.

Whilst the jimny arb is a solid bit of metal I wouldn't particularly call it sprung. Under movement up/down it just pushes force onto the opposite side wheel. Maybe im confusing spring action with twisting action. Where the kit welds onto the bar is a long sleeve so plenty of area to get a strong weld on.

One of our laning buddies (Gary) has an air solenoid to replace the bolts on his kit, so no crawling under the car for him. Pretty simple to setup if you have onboard air.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
10 Apr 2022 07:42 #242815 by Busta
Riccy, that's exactly what a spring is. A long length of metal that twists under force. Sometimes they are wound into coils to save space, but the principle is exactly the same. The stiffness of the ARB determines how much body roll (or articulation) it permits.

More
10 Apr 2022 10:16 - 10 Apr 2022 10:56 #242821 by Scimike
Just my opinion as requested ( I am full of opinions  )

If you want a disconnect ARB then fit the one from Jimnybits. I would not be concerned about R&D, like most of these professional engineered products the company R&D department is provided by liability insurance and reputation. 
Is it safe - sure why not, but Suzuki won't like it. The only "approved" method is the standard ARB as supplied by Suzuki, and as Busta said, you temporarily disconnect the drop link, of course reconnecting before joining the public highway again.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 10:56 by Scimike.

More
10 Apr 2022 15:16 #242831 by X8GGY
I had a near 5” lift on my old S200KYS Jimny (yes, James Lines - Martin’s son -  now has the plate)…

JimnyBits Diesel front springs with 1.25” spring spacers on the front to handle all the weight of the bumpers, winch, etc… but it articulated really well off road… but on-road that translated to a lot of body roll in the corners and I’d hate to think what it would do at motorway speeds if I’d had to take evasive action…

An anti roll bar disconnect did the trick though, they are safe to run with just one of the (12mm) bolts fitted and are night and day when bolted up for road use…

Just my tuppence worth though…
Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2022 15:20 #242832 by Rabid Rhino
Lambert
I've seen your fab skills and bought a few bits off you from eBay. I like where you're going with the idea of your sway bay.
Here's one I like. (Bloody jeeps get all the good bits.)
skyjacker.com/shop/sway-bar-assembly/jfsba10/

Riccy
Any chance of a pic of your mate Gary's disconnect ?bsounds interesting.

Scimike
There are quite a few companies who do disconnectable/split drop links. Let me find some & I'll come back & edit/post links.

Everyone
Reading your comments/replies which I can't thank you all enough for, I'm about to bite the bullet & order.

Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2022 15:23 #242833 by X8GGY
I usually sell a similar kit in complete kit form that you weld up yourself, but I’m unfortunately in various hospitals at the moment, si I’ve had to end all my eBay listings…

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Apr 2022 16:04 #242834 by Lambert

Lambert
I've seen your fab skills and bought a few bits off you from eBay. I like where you're going with the idea of your sway bay.
Here's one I like. (Bloody jeeps get all the good bits.)
skyjacker.com/shop/sway-bar-assembly/jfsba10/

While I would love to claim ownership of this I'm afraid it ain't me. I do have fabrication skills as that's what I did my apprenticeship as but I'm not doing I commercially just what I need for the shepherding.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds