BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Correct Lamda Sensor for a 2005 VVT M13A Jimny

More
21 Nov 2021 22:14 #240276 by Mike G
My Jimny failed it's emissions on the MOT. I wasn't getting a fault code, but my CO levels were far too high.  I bought O2 sensors from eBay, one pre cat and onefor post cat. My Jimny is 2007 M13 VVT.  It passed the MOT with minimal emissions on the retest.

I'm on my phone, so these pics are best I can do for now. Sorry.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HUN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2021 22:22 - 21 Nov 2021 23:41 #240278 by Mike G
Also, I forgot to mention. Prior to replacing the O2 sensors the first cold start of the motor it didn't start. Second turn of the key it would start.  The engine revved high for a few minutes until warm.  But after replacing the O2 sensors, the motor started first time.  Also it didn't rev as high or for as long on first start after the new sensors were fitted.  Engine is back running how it should be now.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 23:41 by Mike G.

More
22 Nov 2021 05:06 #240282 by HUN

My Jimny failed it's emissions on the MOT. I wasn't getting a fault code, but my CO levels were far too high.  I bought O2 sensors from eBay, one pre cat and onefor post cat. My Jimny is 2007 M13 VVT.  It passed the MOT with minimal emissions on the retest.

I'm on my phone, so these pics are best I can do for now. Sorry.

Hi Mike,

Why did you buy 2 different type?

The vehicle needs either a pre cat or post cat sensor (depends on where the sensor is located relative to the catalyc converter)

I take it you fitted the 'correct one based on the location of your sensor which I guess in your case was the pre cat?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
22 Nov 2021 09:49 #240284 by Mike G
Yep, based on position one on the exhaust manifold and one at the cat. They were both listed for Jimny.  Seems to be working fine for me so far.  I don't have my emissions report at hand, but the figures are good. It's just an O2 sensor and easy to swap out If there's a problem.

More
22 Nov 2021 16:17 - 22 Nov 2021 16:21 #240290 by yakuza
sorry for late reply and not being able to use the quote function anymore.
My daughters Swift with a non VVT m13a just got a new sensor 2 after the cat yesterday. has been a check engine light on it for a while saying the cat has low efficiency, P0420 fault code.
And like the jimny with a similar fault code, no malfunction with the car at all. running smoothly and great now, but problem occured after it had a broken coil. could be a coinsidence.
I yet again found a sensor from another suzuki to fit, and now there is no fault code. I might find the suzuki part number if that is any help? I think I still got the box.

This time i do not know what suzuki the sensor should fit i am afraid..
I kind of got this deal thru the suzuki club to buy all the parts from the suzuki warehouse that was obsolete that they were going to throw out to make room for the EV-parts. For an insane price.
So i bought all the sensors they had.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2021 16:21 by yakuza.

More
27 Nov 2021 16:23 - 27 Nov 2021 16:24 #240355 by HUN
I have fiddled with the connectors, unplugging then plugging back, checked air filter etc. Did all this very carefully so nothing got damaged. I'm not sure whether this has triggered the sensors or not but 'managed' to create three DTCs...at least I have something this time!

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 16:24 by HUN.

More
28 Nov 2021 19:22 #240373 by HUN
Some progress. I've cleared all DTCs with the scanning tool, then checked and cleaned the PCV valve as suggested. I have not yet cleaned the IAC valve as the weather was not great. The Suzuki repair manual lists all steps how to remove the IAC valve. Starts with: Disconnect negative battery terminal. Drain engine coolant. Release pressure from fuel system. Disconnect hoses and sensors. Remove throttle body (incuding the IAC valve) then separate IAC valve...on top of this the rubber O-ring is not reusable. That's great. So I've ordered a new IAC valve with new seal.
As a desperate attempt to find out what's wrong I was playing with the accelerator pedal to see how the engine reacts. After 15-20 minutes of running I noticed that the idle RPM randomly went low then surged. Turned out just run out of fuel.. Added 5l of fresh 99 octane petrol then fired up no problem. I reved the engine again a few times and each time the idle RPM dropped a bit. Eventually the engine has settled on 950 RPM! It's still higher then normal but much better than before.
Could this be the a sign of dirty IAC valve?
Is it possible to simply remove the IAC valve (undo 4 bolts, disconnect wire connector and disconnect 2 hoses) without draining coolant and removing throttle body? 

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
29 Nov 2021 15:29 #240390 by DrRobin
Progress.

I haven't taken the IAC off mine, so can't advise if you need to drain the coolant, perhaps a Google search to see if anyone does it without?

However, the coolant is easy to drain, there is a plastic drain on the bottom of the radiator and since the IAC will be near the top, I doubt you will need to drain very much out.

I took my radiator out [twice] when changing the crank drive belt pulley, it's a quick job.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
29 Jun 2022 20:59 - 29 Jun 2022 21:01 #243887 by HUN
Well, it's been 7 months since I was here. During these month I was not able to investigate the cause of idling problems of my M13A engine. All I could do recently is removing and cleaning the throttle body and the IAC valve as suggested.
Despite of a thorough clean there is no improvement. I run out of ideas. Looks like it's not going to be running for the rest of the year. Photos before cleaning.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2022 21:01 by HUN.

More
30 Jun 2022 04:48 - 30 Jun 2022 04:53 #243888 by HUN
Thanks again DrRobin for sending that link in November last year. It will be my guide.
suzukijimny.automotive-manuals.com/S8R70A1124010.html 
Here is the list of things I need to check:

Seems endless, but I'm not in a rush.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jun 2022 04:53 by HUN.

More
30 Jun 2022 09:59 #243889 by DrRobin
The inlet side of the throttle body look reasonably clean, but the engine side has a lot of deposits on it, unless this is the before picture?

You might find these deposits are causing the butterfly valve to stick. That would explain the uneven idle but not the fault codes.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds