BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:2012 Jimny Gearbox

More
26 Feb 2021 09:28 - 26 Feb 2021 09:29 #233293 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:2012 Jimny Gearbox
From what's been said above its sounds like your gearbox is standard.  As said start by changing all the gear fluids, another excellent idea as you know it's been serviced. Also have a look for any debris in the oil, which should be clean in colour and look as good as new.

After this I would just try and get a ride in another standard Jimny and see if yours sounds different, if not then just accept that's the way it sounds.

You description would fit with my gearbox, straight cut gear sound mostly prominent in 2nd and 3rd, reducing until silent in 5th. However we are all individuals, what's noisy for one will be quite for another.
I know my gearbox is in excellent condition and it's very quiet. It's just the way I would describe the sound of my Jimny through the gears, but that's not saying the sound you can hear is the same. 
You don't want to be taking it apart unless you are certain you actually have a problem, things get expensive that way. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 09:29 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2021 10:07 #233296 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Re:2012 Jimny Gearbox

Busta wrote: They would be noisy in all gears, not just 2nd and 3rd.

Good point Busta, is it true the later manual gearbox is more prone to wear, be interested to see if there is shiny bits in the oil

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
26 Feb 2021 15:00 #233310 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:2012 Jimny Gearbox
They are normally reasonably quiet gearboxes, you can however get noise from the transfer box.

That model of gearbox suffered wear problems and failures up unitl around 2008 when the issue was corrected in production so you should (hopefully) be immune to that. Also the initial symptoms of the original gearbox failure would have been noise in 4th and 5th.

I would first take a look around for a broken mount, either on the transfer box or more commonly the rear engine mount. The rear engine mount is badly named, it is in fact on the rear of the gearbox, hidden up in the remote linkages. This frequently fails but is hard to see as its "resting" position makes it look fine, you have to stick a large screw driver by the mount and try and lift the gearbox using the screw driver as a lever. If the gearbox lifts you will see the mount split into two.

If everthing looks ok and you think it is the onset of wear then you could put a blob of lithium grease in the gearbox.

If you want to hear what "straight cut" gears sound like in a Jimny I can send you a recording of my transfer box :)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
26 Feb 2021 18:05 #233314 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re:Re:2012 Jimny Gearbox
I had a problem changing my gearbox oil because, as you say, the filler plug is very difficult to get at. I removed the carpet from the side of the transmission tunnel, and after some very careful measuring cut a 30mm hole through the tunnel and fitted a rubber plug when I’d finished. Refitted the carpet. Very simple to do and makes changing the oil a lot easier.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
28 Feb 2021 06:03 #233347 by Old Neil

mlines wrote: They are normally reasonably quiet gearboxes, you can however get noise from the transfer box.

That model of gearbox suffered wear problems and failures up unitl around 2008 when the issue was corrected in production so you should (hopefully) be immune to that. Also the initial symptoms of the original gearbox failure would have been noise in 4th and 5th.

I would first take a look around for a broken mount, either on the transfer box or more commonly the rear engine mount. The rear engine mount is badly named, it is in fact on the rear of the gearbox, hidden up in the remote linkages. This frequently fails but is hard to see as its "resting" position makes it look fine, you have to stick a large screw driver by the mount and try and lift the gearbox using the screw driver as a lever. If the gearbox lifts you will see the mount split into two.

If everthing looks ok and you think it is the onset of wear then you could put a blob of lithium grease in the gearbox.

If you want to hear what "straight cut" gears sound like in a Jimny I can send you a recording of my transfer box :)

Hi Martin I've just seen a YouTube video of you driving your jimny I see what you mean about the straight cut gears can't mistake that for anything else

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
09 Apr 2023 12:33 #248462 by fabricator4
Replied by fabricator4 on topic 2012 Jimny Gearbox

Hi everyone. So I got another question for you guys.

My Jimny has a gear whine, whenever I drive, so this made me wonder whether the 2012 model perhaps had a gearbox with straight gears, as the are noisier than the modern gearboxes with bevell gears. Does it have straight gears? Or may there be a cause to this whine? I changed all the diff oils, except the gearbox ane transfer case as the transfer case had sufficient oil and gearbox was to hard to reach the plug and I don't know how I'll fill it back up in that stupidly small space. 
Anyone that can help me please? Shed some light on the situation for me?

Thanks again,
Stefan

An old topic I know, but I found this because I was searching for the same question.  Last month I was lucky enough to find a second hand 2022 Jimny with 800km on it.  It is basically new. 

I've noticed a whine in the manual gear box in 2H that sounds for all the world like straight cut gears.  It even has the pitch chatter if you balance it round about zero force (think of a normal car in reverse accelerating, maintaining speed, then decelerating.  You get that little chatter just on the changeover point.

Helical cut gears also require thrust bearings because some of the force is axial.  This increases the complexity of the gearbox.  The Jimny is designed to be simple, cheap and tough, so I'm wondering if Suzuki made a very clever decision to go with straight cut gears on at least some parts of the gear box (like the input shaft for example). 

Only a mechanic who has worked on them, or someone with access to the workshop manuals would know for sure.

Why don't some people notice it?  Well if you habitually drive with the radio on, you many not hear it, and even if you do you might not think anything of it.  I happened to be studying the difference between straight and helical cut gears recently (for another project) and suddenly realised what the sound was.

C

More
10 Apr 2023 00:21 #248475 by fabricator4
Replied by fabricator4 on topic 2012 Jimny Gearbox

Only a mechanic who has worked on them, or someone with access to the workshop manuals would know for sure.

Further on this, I managed to find a workshop manual for my GB74 manual transmission and all gears appear to be helical cut according to the illustrations.

So

More
10 Apr 2023 07:26 #248478 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Re:2012 Jimny Gearbox
Are you not hearing whine from the transfer box?

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds