BigJimny Meet 2019 (17 May 2019)

BigJimny Meet and off-road driving day

20TH OCTOBER 2019

BOOK NOW (BOOKING CLOSES EARLY OCTOBER!!) - CLICK HERE

See HERE for details - See HERE for discussion

Noggin and Natter - pre-event chat - Old Bell at Grazeley (part of hotel) 7:30pm 19th October

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

INOX in new Jimny Lead-Acid Battery (JIS). It works!

More
28 Apr 2019 18:43 #206866 by GeorgeC
While most are discussing big tyres, under-body coatings and tyre pressures, little has been said about the Lead Acid Battery that is in the car.

I have suggested that here in Australia the Battery Voltage be recorded in the Pre-Delivery Check as my car arrived with the voltage a bit low and it needed to be re-charged. I am checking it each Saturday and it will probably need re-charging again in a couple of weeks.

This brings me to the topic of using INOX to reduce/prevent Sulfation. I have a brother, an electrical engineer, he swears by the stuff and has used it for decades.

Manufacturer: www.inoxmx.com/products/mx2-battery-conditioner/

Local supplier: www.jaycar.com.au/inox-mx2-battery-condi...-fluid-92ml/p/NA1420

Any comments?

"Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition."
www.aveoforum.com/forum/f118/seniors-jim...-suzuki-jimny-23477/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2019 19:19 #206869 by Soeley
Why do you need to check/charge the battery on a new car so often? Are you just doing lots of short stop start journeys and the battery isn't getting chance to charge up on a long run?

More
28 Apr 2019 19:31 #206871 by GeorgeC

Soeley wrote: Why do you need to check/charge the battery on a new car so often? Are you just doing lots of short stop start journeys and the battery isn't getting chance to charge up on a long run?

Yes, my normal weekly drive is about 5km with 2 starts. I have been doing an extra 20km run mid-week to top up, but its not enough. :(

More
28 Apr 2019 19:40 #206873 by Soeley
What a bout a battery tender then? Just keeps it on trickle charge and maintains the battery.

More
28 Apr 2019 19:50 - 29 Apr 2019 06:44 #206875 by GeorgeC

Soeley wrote: What about a battery tender then? Just keeps it on trickle charge and maintains the battery.

My brother has also suggested that. If I had an enclosed garage with power, yes. However my car lives in the sun/rain so floating my small solar panel across the battery will do a similar job.

What I am now hoping, is, will the INOX will lower the internal resistance of the battery sufficiently to allow it to re-charge a little faster from the alternator. At only $10, its a must do!

Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 06:44 by GeorgeC. Reason: still thinking...

More
29 Apr 2019 13:54 #206903 by Gadget
Is the battery not sealed? I've not checked, just assumed it would be. I'd be very surprised if the battery in a new car needs frequent charging. 90% of my journeys are a 2 mile trip to the station and back each day and I've never had a problem with battery drain, even on 10 year old cars in the depth of winter

More
29 Apr 2019 14:04 - 29 Apr 2019 14:16 #206904 by GeorgeC

Gadget wrote: Is the battery not sealed? I've not checked, just assumed it would be. I'd be very surprised if the battery in a new car needs frequent charging. 90% of my journeys are a 2 mile trip to the station and back each day and I've never had a problem with battery drain, even on 10 year old cars in the depth of winter

Gadget, its not sealed, its a vintage JIS Lead Acid battery. This is the type of battery that INOX is made for. I removed and charged it two Saturdays back, see photo:

The Odometer clicked over 220km yesterday!

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 14:16 by GeorgeC. Reason: white space

More
29 Apr 2019 14:33 - 29 Apr 2019 14:38 #206908 by mlines
Its been years since I have seen a battery that is not sealed for life (including my Gen 3 Jimnys), Therefore I took a quick look at the underbonnet photos of the Gen 4 I test drove and yes it has an old style battery. They really have taken the retro look to heart with this one!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 14:38 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
29 Apr 2019 14:38 - 29 Apr 2019 14:39 #206909 by mlines
See 2 minutes 31 seconds

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 14:39 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC, Andy2640

More
30 Apr 2019 03:27 - 30 Apr 2019 08:22 #206947 by GeorgeC
Thank you to Martin for the excellent replies! :)

Some may wonder where I am coming from with this topic, well it started here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...ower-socket?start=12 when I found the was Voltage down to 12.18V!

I am making a Battery Table today, and hope to add the INOX to the battery tomorrow morning. I will record the Voltage and Specific Gravity readings in the table as I take them.

Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 08:22 by GeorgeC. Reason: a little tired today.

More
11 May 2019 08:13 - 11 May 2019 08:14 #207718 by GeorgeC
Today was the day! INOX has now been added to the Battery!

I removed the battery from the car.
Checked the Specific Gravity (Sg) with a hydrometer.
Trickle charged for 5 hours.
Checked the Sg again.
Added 15ml of INOX to each cell.
Re-fitted the battery.
Check Voltage and Sg again next Saturday.

I have made a table of all the relevant data, please PM for a copy.

Last edit: 11 May 2019 08:14 by GeorgeC.

More
11 May 2019 10:43 #207720 by facade
Let us know how it goes.

I remember in The Olden Days motor factors sold tubes of "de-sulphation tablets" that never worked, but that was most likely because the problem wasn't sulphation, but shedding of active material and disintergration of the plates.

The internet consensus seems to be adding saturated epsom salt solution (magnesium sulphate) and trickle charging will remove existing sulphation, but I've not found the chemistry behind it. The best way to prevent sulphation is to keep the battery charged.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

Moderators: funkyjimnyooky_123
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds