BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

INOX in new Jimny Lead-Acid Battery (JIS). It works!

More
28 Apr 2019 19:19 #206869 by Soeley
INOX in new battery was created by Soeley
Why do you need to check/charge the battery on a new car so often? Are you just doing lots of short stop start journeys and the battery isn't getting chance to charge up on a long run?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2019 19:40 #206873 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic INOX in new battery
What a bout a battery tender then? Just keeps it on trickle charge and maintains the battery.

More
29 Apr 2019 13:54 #206903 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic INOX in new battery
Is the battery not sealed? I've not checked, just assumed it would be. I'd be very surprised if the battery in a new car needs frequent charging. 90% of my journeys are a 2 mile trip to the station and back each day and I've never had a problem with battery drain, even on 10 year old cars in the depth of winter

More
29 Apr 2019 14:33 - 29 Apr 2019 14:38 #206908 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic INOX in new battery
Its been years since I have seen a battery that is not sealed for life (including my Gen 3 Jimnys), Therefore I took a quick look at the underbonnet photos of the Gen 4 I test drove and yes it has an old style battery. They really have taken the retro look to heart with this one!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 14:38 by mlines.

More
29 Apr 2019 14:38 - 29 Apr 2019 14:39 #206909 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic INOX in new battery
See 2 minutes 31 seconds

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 14:39 by mlines.

More
11 May 2019 10:43 #207720 by facade
Let us know how it goes.

I remember in The Olden Days motor factors sold tubes of "de-sulphation tablets" that never worked, but that was most likely because the problem wasn't sulphation, but shedding of active material and disintergration of the plates.

The internet consensus seems to be adding saturated epsom salt solution (magnesium sulphate) and trickle charging will remove existing sulphation, but I've not found the chemistry behind it. The best way to prevent sulphation is to keep the battery charged.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 May 2019 05:39 #207747 by Lambert
What is making you think the battery is getting beyond it's service life? It is a new car and even a new model of that car, its not really likely that they have found an old battery in the corner of an outbuilding and thought it will do. Most factory batteries are good for 5 or 6 years minimum service even with limited mileage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2020 21:08 - 18 Sep 2020 21:20 #228323 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic INOX in new Jimny Lead-Acid Battery (JIS).
It still works after 18 months! A recent test gave a Specific Gravity of 1282-1285, a bench Resting Voltage of 12.76V, and a Cold Cranking Amps test of over 500CCA!

I thought I had a recalcitrant alternator but it turned out to be a crook wire/connection at the computer end of the LIN circuit. This was confirmed by the Suzuki Roadside Assist-RAC Battery Technician three weeks back, and yes, correctly diagnosed by Martin about this time last year!

As for the car, it has now been called home, more details when I know.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2020 21:20 by GeorgeC.

More
18 Sep 2020 21:23 - 18 Sep 2020 21:26 #228324 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic INOX in new battery
Our new Jimny is hardly getting any use at the moment, it sits in the garage for days and then does the occasional journey.
l've never worried about the battery, it's always started up with no issues and shows no signs of becoming depleted.

l used to worry about the battery going flat in my Triumph Herald back in 1982, but that only had a dynamo which didn't charge at all when the engine was at low RPM
Last edit: 18 Sep 2020 21:26 by lightning.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2020 21:10 - 19 Sep 2020 21:15 #228356 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic INOX in new Jimny Lead-Acid Battery (JIS).

GeorgeC wrote: Yes, It still works after 18 months!
A recent test showed a Specific Gravity of 1282-1285, a bench Resting Voltage of 12.76V, and a Cold Cranking Amps test of over 500CCA!

www.inoxmx.com/products/mx2-battery-conditioner/

Last edit: 19 Sep 2020 21:15 by GeorgeC.

More
20 Sep 2020 08:59 #228363 by lightning
A battery conditioner will extend the life of a battery if the vehicle is not being used.
l've got one on my motorcycle, as it doesn't move all winter.
But if the vehicle is in use even if it's not every day it shouldn't be necessary.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds