BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winch Options

More
27 Dec 2016 19:39 - 27 Dec 2016 19:40 #176001 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Winch Options
Yes I was....12 years, half of which was on choppers....was modifications engineer for the Breeze winch, manufactured in Newark, NJ, and featured in all the aforementioned models....had hundreds of test hours in each and every one, and was devastated when RAF Search and Rescue was given over to contract earlier this year, the mighty Sea King being replaced by Sikorsky S-92's and operated by Bristow.
I still live by the sea, and every time the SK came to someone's aid, I had a tear in my eye :silly:
The Sea Hawk is a beast, although already 30-odd years old, but has a significant future ahead of it...considerably different from the Lynx, you'll enjoy the experience I'm sure...

Happy New Year , Tom

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
Last edit: 27 Dec 2016 19:40 by gusthegorilla.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 07:09 - 28 Dec 2016 07:11 #176003 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Winch Options
Totally agree Rich. I did not want the extra weight + cost for something that i will hardly ever use.
Hence the cheap portable one in the boot. Just in case. :)
Last edit: 28 Dec 2016 07:11 by 1066Boy.

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 07:09 #176004 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Winch Options
Thanks for your experiences, Rich.

For me at least, I am looking for some "just-in-case" backup. I have only been off-roading for a few months, and all our recoveries have been via strap and a mate. The one time we used a winch it didn't help any more than the failed tow. Usually, I just drop a wheel in to slightly too big a rut, and beach it, needing the lightest of tows to get us out.

But, another car may not always be there. If I was going for a proper play, then I would want at least one other car there, so I could try something beyond my abilities! But, as an example, I drove an unclassified road the other day (about 3 miles worth) with 2 other Jimny's and it was great fun. Nothing hard, and I actually did the whole thing in 2WD (just because :) ). As it is almost just down the road, I want to go back with my daughter, but our friend Murphy says I will just get caught on something if I go alone! A winch would hopefully never be needed, but would just give that escape route. Of course, I am still reliant on something I can winch off, or end up with ground anchors etc, but that is where common sense hopefully kicks in :)

I am hoping that a simple portable winch is just the safety net I need.

Nick

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 09:40 #176005 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Winch Options
The additional weight of a winch/bumper/battery has been mentioned a couple of time's. Is this additional weight generally considered to be a compromise in some way?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 10:42 #176007 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Winch Options
I'd say a small winch is the cheaper option than buying compressor, jack, waffle boards and what not ;)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 11:24 #176009 by TomDK
I agree that lowering tyre pressure will have an impact on driving off-road, same goes for a lockright and waffle boards. But all have their limitations. A winch is a much more reliable option for recovery. Provided you have an anchor point, you're pretty sure to get out of most situations.

So I'd probably start out with a winch, and the a lockright.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 16:23 #176011 by TomDK

gusthegorilla wrote: Yes I was....12 years, half of which was on choppers....was modifications engineer for the Breeze winch, manufactured in Newark, NJ, and featured in all the aforementioned models....had hundreds of test hours in each and every one, and was devastated when RAF Search and Rescue was given over to contract earlier this year, the mighty Sea King being replaced by Sikorsky S-92's and operated by Bristow.
I still live by the sea, and every time the SK came to someone's aid, I had a tear in my eye :silly:
The Sea Hawk is a beast, although already 30-odd years old, but has a significant future ahead of it...considerably different from the Lynx, you'll enjoy the experience I'm sure...

Happy New Year , Tom

Thanks, and a happy new year to you too :)

Regarding the new Sea Hawk. There are pros and cons towards it in comparison with the older Lynx. But one thing it will never be as good at is landing on ship in rough sea.
Have a look here. Not possible with the SH :)

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 17:20 #176013 by 1066Boy
The small portable winch is the best/easiest and probly cheapest option. Waffle boards are a help to get out of
deep holes or over big rocks. Yes lowering tyre pressure increases footprint and traction but if the problem is ruts
lowering tyre pressure will also lower diff height. That's the last thing you need in deep ruts. :)

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2016 18:33 #176015 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Winch Options
Lowering tyre pressure has gotten me out of a good few predicaments, so that box is ticked. This trick really does make a huge difference. I've got a cheap little portable dual-cylinder compressor to re-inflate.

Main reason I'd like a winch is that a few times a year I get badly stuck and need to hike down the hill to sweet-talk a farmer into bringing his tractor up, or having to phone the estate's gamekeeper. Usually everyone's really helpful, but I'm quickly using up the goodwill that's out there. With a winch and lockright present, I'll probably feel a bit braver and drive down a lot of tracks that I'm presently avoiding.

As I've mentioned, the Jimny is my forestry survey work vehicle at the moment. So one of the portable winches mentioned would probably be sufficient. But I also have an eye on joining the local 4x4 club in future, so that's got me leaning towards the fixed type. Other upgrades coming in the near future is a suspension lift, recovery points and a lockright, but the winch is probably highest on the list. Just thinking out loud here, but given the cost of the 3 other upgrades I'm looking at, an extra battery and winch plate/bumper will probably not be doable, so the cheaper portable winch will probably be best.

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2016 07:11 #176086 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Winch Options
I also have a little 12V tyre pump so I can drop the pressures when off-road, and pump them back on again. It helps a lot, and the improved comfort was also surprising!!

The problem is I get stuck when a wheel drops in a hole and I beach on the chassis/suspension arms. A gentle tow is all that is needed to get some traction again, and it is looking like the portable winch is the right thing to have in the boot for that extra reassurance.

Nick

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2016 07:19 - 30 Dec 2016 07:21 #176087 by 1066Boy
Hi Nick. Sound like a portable winch and possibly a pair of waffle boards will do you just fine. :)
That all I am taking on Saturday when I go out for a run round.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 07:21 by 1066Boy.

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2016 09:46 #176092 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Winch Options
NickR, if you do end up purchasing a portable winch please let us know which one and how you get on with it...

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds