× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

sloppy gear lever

More
05 Apr 2010 14:48 #3036 by maverick
sloppy gear lever was created by maverick
doing some TLC today, I (doh) decided to grease the gear lever.

a) removed all boots
b) undone the 3 10mm bolts
c) removed gear lever
d) added some grease into pot

re-assmebly but wow is it sloppy - what have i missed?

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
06 Apr 2010 09:50 #3053 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re:sloppy gear lever
Hi Mav, theres a plastic bush that sits under the gear lever, if you drop it into the gearbox or drop it off the end of the gearstick when removing it'll be very sloppy. I did it in mine but found a spare from another gearbox i had.

Gary

More
06 Apr 2010 09:53 #3054 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Re:sloppy gear lever
Gary - I have both (?think so?) bushes they have little half-hollows cut out ..

I'm off to a brakers in Wrexham tomorrow (courtesy of Kev) to looksee.

Oh, and how do you get the gearbox oil-filler screw out, to top up gerbox (it is an arse when the engine/gearbox in!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
06 Apr 2010 10:02 - 06 Apr 2010 10:07 #3055 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:sloppy gear lever
You have got me really confused here (and on the other forum where you have posted this question). I cannot see how you can drop anything into the gear box?? The gearbox is "remote", a bit like the old minis (or do you have a non-standad set-up, I though you were running a standard engine/gearbox) It has two rods that run forward from the gear lever to the gear box.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Apr 2010 10:07 by mlines.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
06 Apr 2010 10:16 #3057 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re:sloppy gear lever
yes were both standard boxes, its not so much drop the thing into the box, but drop it below where its supposed to sit, I put mine back together and it was sloppy as hell, it was the bush thing and mate who owns the garage fished it out, stuck it on the stick, and then refitted stick, all working fine.

Gary

More
06 Apr 2010 10:18 #3058 by maverick
Hi Martin,

That diagram is what i have .. i just dont understand how it can be so sloppy (spoon in rice pudding) since i reassembled it.

I sort of agree with other forum/posts that the slot in the gear stick that is held in/controlled by the "gear control select bolt" (a 12mm bolt with a protruding bit) maybe the cause as the slot is worn, and perhaps the stick/bolt are a pair?

Also, the two bushes (upper/lower) with those round cut outs - are also loose-ish!

Only other moving parts are big round washer for the 3 studs, the springy-thing under that washer, and a shim on top of the upper bubush ... the lower bush sits in the unit.

If there is some other part - it lost?

Brett

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
06 Apr 2010 10:20 #3059 by maverick
arh right - so maybe the two bushes need to be close to each other (adjacent?) ... I'll take a look again tonight!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
09 Apr 2010 07:52 #3091 by maverick
sorry been mad busy at work ...

I'm taking it apart again tonight, and give an update tomorrow?

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
16 Apr 2010 11:56 - 16 Apr 2010 11:58 #3137 by maverick
Had a poke around the space where gear stick goes in ... can't a bush that should be down there - other than a load of grease?!

So, called HK Motors (in Ruabon) and they still have a Jimny in (actually they have two - a Green one, like mine and a Blue one) ... so a trip over there ..

Using their Green Jimny, took apart the gear stick assembly, and HOW ABOUT THAT - there's a black-bush at the bottom .... luckily i took my long-nosed pliers with me, as getting out was a b1tch!!

Paid for it - a Whopping £1.00p ...

Piccy's to follow:

a) Bush front/rear
b) Gear stick showing how it should fit (apart and assembled) ...

Jalapeño, IISY?
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 11:58 by maverick. Reason: added pictures - one at a time (?)

More
06 Jun 2024 03:17 #256185 by Whiskeyjack
Replied by Whiskeyjack on topic Re:sloppy gear lever
Hi there, is there any way to get these pictures back? I had my jimny serviced and the guy says he replaced one bush, but it’s still sloppy as all heck (roadworthy guy wouldn’t pass it). I think there are two bushes that need replacing and these photos have the critical info!

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds