BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Carbureter overfueling?

More
18 Mar 2024 19:25 #255148 by Ayoung7530
Hi all my 57 plate jimnys cat has been glowing hot and melting the actual cat itself when this happens I lose all power and the engine wont rev does anyone have any ideas ? Tia 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2024 19:56 #255150 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Carbureter overfueling?
Normally the first cat breaks up and blocks the second cat, restricting the exhaust and causing it to get very hot.
Your Jimny doesn't have a carburettor. They disappeared in the early 90s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ayoung7530

More
18 Mar 2024 21:53 #255154 by Ayoung7530
Replied by Ayoung7530 on topic Carbureter overfueling?
Any idea what is causing the first cat to break up in the first place?

More
18 Mar 2024 22:27 #255155 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Carbureter overfueling?

Any idea what is causing the first cat to break up in the first place?
just old.

If the first CAT has disintegrated and blocked the second CAT, take the second CAT off and shake it to see if lots of dust comes out.  If it does then you might need to replace both as they are very difficult to clean and unblock.

Your picture of the CAT glowing red hot seems to suggest it is hot on the exhaust side, not the engine side, is that correct?  If the second CAT was blocked I would have thought that it would be the engine side which was glowing red, not the exhaust side.

Either way it needs sorting out before it sets fire to something.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Mar 2024 08:23 #255183 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Carbureter overfueling?
How is the fuel consumption?
The fact it looks hotter after the Cat doesn't look like a blockage, I would expect it to be cooler as its blocked? 
Heat after the Cat suggests it's burning something, all you have available is petrol, hence why I am asking if the Mpg is poor. As its Injected is it possible the exhaust sensors have it wrong? If you could get it on a gas analyser it may help. 
Just another angle open for comment. All I know for sure is it's going to kill you Cat eventually. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 Mar 2024 09:16 #255184 by Ayoung7530
It has moments when it’s as if it’s flooding the engine (this is when the glowing is bad)and I can near enough see the fuel gauge go down so I’m assuming there’s excess fuel getting in there somehow. Someone I asked said to try the coils as they might be poor and causing the ecu to play up and put more fuel through.

More
20 Mar 2024 10:59 #255187 by Busta
When it does this does the engine sound lumpy, as if it's not firing on all 4 cylinders?

More
20 Mar 2024 12:55 #255190 by Ayoung7530
Yes I pull over give it 30 seconds or so and it will clear its self and run normal

More
21 Mar 2024 19:02 #255198 by Busta
Could well be the coil pack or a shark plug then. And the cylinder that isn't firing is then sending unburnt fuel into the exhaust.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds