× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Is this one of you lot pulling an Audi out of a ford?

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2023 14:00 #251611 by rogerzilla

He should have bought a proper car, not a Wilmslow panzer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2023 16:09 #251612 by Scimike
In a world full of people that never lift a bonnet, all have no idea where the air intake is and so this sort of show is inevitable.
Even the EV is not exempt, most warranties do cover flooded battery compartments, a delayed problem usually exceeding or equal to the cost of a replacement flooded IC engine.
I blame the people helping to pull them out. If they didn't, after the first few have blocked the road, then no others can pass and no further problems, simple 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 Oct 2023 16:22 #251613 by DrRobin
Notice how the people who drove through slow and steady made it through without a problem and the ones who had too much speed didn’t.

Clearly it separates the people who know how to drive from the plonkers.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Oct 2023 17:05 #251617 by Lambert
And that is why I won't drive through water deeper than the bottom of my rims. There's always going to be a way round or over and if not I'll find higher ground and wait.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
21 Oct 2023 17:12 #251619 by Busta
So true. The Audi drew in water because it was going fast enough to push water up over the bonnet. When it came to a stop you could see the actual depth was barely up to the bottom of the doors. Judging by the fence rails the water got a fair bit deeper later on.

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2023 17:29 #251623 by rogerzilla
Gen3 Jimny wading depth is a mere 200mm, if remember correctly.  The air intake is a lot higher than that but the gearbox breather won't be.

More
21 Oct 2023 20:02 #251629 by Busta
The gearbox breather is at about 450mm. Axle breathers are slightly lower. I think Suzuki just choose the lower kingpin bearings as the thing they wanted to keep dry when deciding the wedding depth. There is some merit to that as it's the part that suffers most frequently from water ingress.

More
22 Oct 2023 10:17 - 22 Oct 2023 10:23 #251644 by facade

And that is why I won't drive through water deeper than the bottom of my rims. There's always going to be a way round or over and if not I'll find higher ground and wait.

Me too!
I'd rather spend 20 minutes driving round the puddle than several days and ££££ sorting out the damage caused by water. (Even clean water, never mind mud slurry) There is a thread on MSE where someone has bought a Jeep and the transfer case is wrecked by water ingress no doubt from a previous swimming episode, and they are trying to reject it.

I was hosing mine down in the pouring rain on Friday, on my way home I could choose between the deep water by the landfill (who knows what is in that run-off), or the 50 yards of 4" deep raw sewage overflowed from the sewage works. So I gingerly crawled past the sewage works, (praying no-one came the other way to shower me with s###) and then had to hose all the underneath and topsides off while it was still wet.

You never go that way on a bicycle when it has been raining ;)

Amazes me that idiots will try and drive through those brown coloured fords, they must be pure sewage! (Sewage farms always overflow and discharge into waterways when it is raining...)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 22 Oct 2023 10:23 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
22 Oct 2023 10:25 #251645 by Gadget
Even if I had breathers and a snorkel fitted, I still wouldn't choose to drive through water that deep, you're just asking for trouble.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2023 12:38 #251646 by Lambert
I think what I find most frustrating about adverse weather is not that it happens or even that we're seemingly unable to predict it with much accuracy it's more that in a lot of cases such events could be managed better with a coherent forward planning and maintenance policy. Unfortunately what we actually get is a half baked potato of a scheme drawn up by some clever academic graduates with zero real world experience and such proposals are implemented and maintained by contractors with no vested interest in the successful outcome of the project and a "that'll do" attitude. I'm not saying every major weather event is manageable especially in low lying areas I get that, but if the drains and ditches are maintained so that water has somewhere to go it's got to help?

More
22 Oct 2023 14:17 #251647 by Roger Fairclough

I think what I find most frustrating about adverse weather is not that it happens or even that we're seemingly unable to predict it with much accuracy it's more that in a lot of cases such events could be managed better with a coherent forward planning and maintenance policy. Unfortunately what we actually get is a half baked potato of a scheme drawn up by some clever academic graduates with zero real world experience and such proposals are implemented and maintained by contractors with no vested interest in the successful outcome of the project and a "that'll do" attitude. I'm not saying every major weather event is manageable especially in low lying areas I get that, but if the drains and ditches are maintained so that water has somewhere to go it's got to help?

In theory this sounds like a good idea but as I am a volunteer lock keeper with the Canal and River Trust I see first hand the devastation that flood water can cause. Rain occurs and the faster we try and move it into our main rivers the faster they fill up and the bigger the floods become. At the moment the Warwickshire Avon is 2 meters above red and the Severn is similar. Not surprisingly both rivers are closed to boats. Last Monday the Tardebigge  flight on the Worcester Birmingham canal was closed to traffic because of the volume of flood water from fields adjacent to the canal overflowed, poured into the canal and crippled the system. The weather is unpredictable - full stop - but the forecasting of it is dramatically better than it was 50 years ago. Sat. pictures are an invaluable aid, but it is not foolproof. In my neck of the woods the local councils contract the farmers to clean out ditches  but this has the knock on affect of moving the water at a faster rate so the floods happen lower down and the construction of new housing with roofs and roads that just speed up the process even more, we are just not going to win this one.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2023 14:56 #251648 by Lambert
The problem we have is obviously different in that we are hills and dales which naturally focuses water runoff into fairly predictable places. That the graduate community then allocate these areas to housing or roads is beyond help. That this also often eradicates woodland etc is super beneficial too. I accept that moving my problems down stream onto the lower reaches of the Wharfe and Ouse is selfish but so is building on flood plains. Much like deliberately driving an inappropriate vehicle in an inappropriate manner through indeterminately deep water and expecting someone else to save you.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds