× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Commercial {LCV} Jimny on the road

More
23 Jun 2023 18:51 #249612 by Bob1050
After 4 years of running a G4 Jimny I've replaced it with an new LCV - Not what I would have planned to buy given a choice - but it was an LCV or move to another marque! The good news was that (completely by accident). I drove past the dealer's yard just after a few new Jimnys had been unloaded from a transporter - so it all came down to what colour did I want and how much would the old Jimny be valued at. After I had got a deal agreed, it was time to get the new Jimny prepared by the dealer and arrange insurance. The bad news was that my existing insurer didn't want to offer cover for a commercial vehicle - so go away and find another insurer - so much for customer care & loyalty! I'm also having to readjust to driving around with what looks like a dog cage to the rear and no longer having 4 seats and a few factory-fitted 'toys' to play with. Also having to watch my speed on local roads as I'm really not keen on potential fines for driving the LCV at the same speed as my old G4 Jimny. Bizarrely I'm not missing any of the toys that are not fitted to this stripped out Jimny and can relax knowing that I've got a new warranty for the next three years. The LCV appears to drive in a very similar style to its predecessor - so no lengthy writing about speed, economy or NVH characteristics. Seating position rather tighter than before and no ability to recline the seats - also has steel wheels so even less bling to worry about. Saw my old Jimny on the road shortly after trading it in - it didn't seem to sit for more than  a week on the dealer's forecourt and he made a few thousand for not a lot of effort. Now off for a bit of gentle running in and hoping it's a good one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2023 20:00 #249614 by jlines
Good to hear your enjoying your new Jimny.  When you say G4 for your old Jimny do you mean the Gen 3? The Gen 4 is the Jimny you currently have.

More
23 Jun 2023 20:12 #249615 by mlines
There has been a debate on here about the speed limits. It is basically considered to be a van with 4wd which means it travels at the same speeds a standard cars

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Jun 2023 22:27 #249617 by Bob1050
Thanks for responding. The LCV is exactly the same to look at externally (body shape) and drive as its predecessor - apart from that the fact that the new one (LCV) has only 2 seats and what looks like a dog cage and steel wheels. I assumed the last one was a G4 as it came new in 2019 painted Kinetic Yellow?

More
23 Jun 2023 22:31 #249618 by Bob1050
I'm still rather nervous driving past the speed cameras as the logbook very clearly states it's an LCV - however if having a 4WD lets me drive at car speeds then that's great news and thank you.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jun 2023 04:37 #249620 by Lambert
www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-d...20of%20the%20vehicle

Have a read through this, it clearly states that having engine power available at all the road wheels is one of the options for driving a commercial at car speed limits.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
24 Jun 2023 09:24 #249622 by Scimike
Just have, it's very clear it ticks the dual purpose vehicle box which makes the speed limit the same as cars, so take it to the limit.
Slightly academic in my opinion, based on the Jimny "comfort" performance envelope, as it only impacts speeds over 50mph 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
24 Jun 2023 18:51 - 24 Jun 2023 18:52 #249624 by Abudougal
Reading those regs it also seems to me that you could put transverse seats in the back of the LCV to legally carry passengers?

Not sure if there would only be space for children or not but what do you reckon?
Last edit: 24 Jun 2023 18:52 by Abudougal.

More
25 Jun 2023 22:06 #249633 by Bob1050
Just returned from a drive along Scotland's A9 camera monitored highway. As I'm running the LCV in gently - I kept the speed within the LCV published rules. Just wondering if all those cameras are 'smart enough' to distinguish between different classes of vehicles? The Jimny seemed quite happy at the legal LCV speeds, with all fluids getting the opportunity to reach their optimal temperatures and pressures - and no labouring the engine or transmission! Overall driving the LCV wasn't an unpleasant experience - unless you are in a hurry or have a long distance to cover with a family or business colleagues. Odd noise from cage on rough surfaces but nothing has failed or fallen off so far. The garage supplied a set of Suzuki floor mats with the new Jimny - I got a set of 4 for a 2-seater!

Not sure that I'd want or need to add Abudugal's suggestion of additional seating - rather enjoying having a 2-seater car and no demands for getting a lift.

More
28 Jun 2023 21:58 #249653 by Bob1050
Ever wonder about professional product development and planning about the Suzuki Jimny. I have received a market research questionnaire from Suzuki's contractor asking for feedback on the new LCV JImny - Unfortunately it was produced by an individual who clearly has a very limited knowledge of the Suzuki Jimny. "How many seats does it have" they wanted to know? Sadly the drop down selection commenced at - 4 seats - no option for the real answer (2 seats) which as the manufacturer you might think that they would already know! Now if Suzuki want to burn cash asking questions like that - then I'm busy elsewhere

More
03 Jul 2023 08:47 #249680 by Bob1050
Strangely I'm not missing the lack of rear seats in the LCV - although dog owners seem to be very interested in the pre-installed dog guard/cage when i park up! As a non-dog owner I never gave any thought to the factory-fitted feature. I must remember to target my marketing campaign at sales time to a rich dog owner. On the road the LCV seems a 'better runner' than my previous Jimny - it doesn't seem to run out of steam on long Motorway hills as easily - engine spec reads the same but maybe it's all in my head. Other than that it's a case of turn the key and enjoy it. This car puts a smile on my face.

More
03 Jul 2023 10:26 #249682 by Wailin
Is it possible to remove the cage in the back? Something I've always wondered about the two seater and lack of recline space.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds