BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Its Re:Re:Re:Turning the traction control off (Gen 4)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Aug 2020 14:21 #226565 by Lambert
I'm so glad my gen3 came with the much more advanced intelligent traction control system. It's becoming obvious that the new one is a definite step back in time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2020 21:56 - 13 Aug 2020 22:04 #226630 by crash486
If you are really keen, try one of these.
cartune.me/notes/s7lWlZT203?fbclid=IwAR2...UtGOgU0LXB4ldO4tYWNk

If someone has a service manual, perhaps they can lookup "service mode" related to ESP.
I have read that entering service mode will disable the 30kph enable setting. The whole system is reset via Power off/on.

crash486 JB74W
Last edit: 13 Aug 2020 22:04 by crash486.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Aug 2020 07:43 #226648 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:Re:Turning the traction control off (Gen 4)
Anyone else know of this Service Mode? Is it a real thing and if so what can you access/adjust? Chris

More
14 Aug 2020 08:20 - 14 Aug 2020 08:22 #226654 by mlines
There is a service mode for the ESP.

It is activated either through the Suzuki scan tool or manually by linking pins 1 and 2 on the service connector under the dash and then turning the ESP off by a long press on the ESP button.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 14 Aug 2020 08:22 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Aug 2020 21:04 #226671 by GeorgeC

mlines wrote: There is a service mode for the ESP.
It is activated either through the Suzuki scan tool or manually by linking pins 1 and 2 on the service connector under the dash and then turning the ESP off by a long press on the ESP button.

Hi Martin, would there be a similar Mode for the Alternator Control? I would love to re-set the minimum to 12.8V! ;)

More
15 Aug 2020 04:40 #226677 by mlines
George

I wouldn't attribute too much intelligence to the charging system, you may be over-thinking the whole issue. Whilst more complex than the classic charging circuit on older cars, it is still nothing much more than a feedback circuit. A shunt in the battery negative wire provides the ability to monitor the voltage/current being drawn/charged from the battery, ECM "knows" what major circuits are running in the car (lights, aircon etc) and using this information can command the alternator to turn off or on (plus various states of "on") through control of the exciter coils in the alternator. It states that the primary function of this circuit is to generate electricity suitable for the engine speed and electrical load and also to prevent a drop in idling speed if electrical load rapidly increases i.e. limits the Alternator if it detects the electrical load is impacting engine performance.

From the manual, the generator features are as follows:

•Solid state regulator is mounted inside the generator.
•All regulator components are enclosed into a solid mold.
•The IC regulator along with the brush holder assembly is attached to the rear end frame.
•The IC regulator uses integrated circuits and controls the voltage produced by the generator, and the voltage setting cannot be adjusted.

ECM optimally controls the generator output voltage by changing the excitation current and regulated voltage based on the following information.

•Engine condition (ECT, vehicle speed, engine speed, TP, etc.)
•Battery voltage (ECM power supply voltage)
•Electric load condition (blower motor, rear end door window defogger, headlights, radiator cooling fan, A/C compressor, etc.)
•Field coil control duty which indicates the operation rate of the field coil.
•The signal to the “LIN” terminal of the generator adjusts the regulating voltage of the IC regulator, which in turn controls the duty ratio of the field coil and thus the output voltage (“B” terminal output) of the generator.

Regulated voltage 10.6 – 16.3 V at 25 °C (77 °F)

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 05:42 #226679 by GeorgeC
Gee, thanks Martin!! I love the explanation, Jimny Electronics, 101.1. :)

I can see the short answer is NO!
I hold out hope that, one day someone in an office somewhere will change the 10.6V to 12.6V and my battery will re-charge? :(

More
15 Aug 2020 07:57 #226685 by Roger Fairclough
I am not that hot on electronics but I would have thought that at 10.6 volts, a battery was dead.

Roger

More
15 Aug 2020 08:02 #226686 by Scimike

Roger Fairclough wrote: I am not that hot on electronics but I would have thought that at 10.6 volts, a battery was dead.

Roger

It is.
Anything south of 12.5v was considered flat and in need of a charge.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
15 Aug 2020 08:04 #226688 by mlines
The 10.6 to 16.3 volt range of the alternator is what it can output. Something is commanding it to output the voltage. Therefore if it is outputting low, either the alternator is faulty or the command circuit is telling it to do the wrong thing.

If it's is being told wrong then the sensor shunt on the battery is faulty or there is a faulty connection or wire in the circuit. If the ECM thinks the engine needs help it will command the alternator to drop the voltage it is generating to help relieve the load on the engine. You could probably disconnect the battery sensor and create a little circuit to simulate demand on the battery and see if the alternator output is varied by the ECM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

More
15 Aug 2020 08:15 #226689 by mlines

Roger Fairclough wrote: I am not that hot on electronics but I would have thought that at 10.6 volts, a battery was dead.

Roger

10.6volts is just a statement of the controllable range specification of the alternator, not what it should output at any given time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 09:41 #226697 by CC Baxter
Thanks Martin for the detailed explanation of the alternator. Does any JB64/74 in various markets come with a conventional (old fashioned) high output unit? As you point out the system doesn't appear to be that clever so changing the alternator and rearranging some wiring might well give all the charge you'd ever need. Chris

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds