BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Mud tires

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2019 17:36 - 29 Dec 2019 17:37 #216816 by Mole
Mud tires was created by Mole
I know this has been covered so many times so I apologise. I currently have 215/75/15 I also know that 235s smoke clutches and make the jim a pig to drive without gearing changes. So my question iv found some 225/75/15 what are peoples thoughts on this size are they likely to be in the camp on the 235s and better to stick with the 215s I was going to go down the route of changing the diffs to the vvt models but cant justify it for the amount I'm laning at current

Cheers
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 17:37 by Mole.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2019 18:09 #216817 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Mud tires
All you will gain is 0.3 inch of ground clearance. There is no benefit to the extra width. If the tyre you want is only available in that size then go for it but you aren't going to see any noticeable difference compared to the 215s.

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2019 18:21 #216818 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Mud tires
It's the tread pattern I was after but what I didn't want to do was get them thinking that the size wouldn't be a problem and find the standard gearing was a problem but if it makes no odds then that's fine. If I can find the same pattern on 215s then will.

Thanks

More
29 Dec 2019 19:51 #216820 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Mud tires
What pattern you after.
Wide tyres look the part,but thin ones work just as well sometimes better

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2019 21:41 #216823 by Mole
I'm looking a pattern with a decent side lug I always found when I used to green lane on my quad if I fell in to a rut by riding the side of the rut with the side I could keep momentum up to keep going or claw my way out so figured it would work with the jimny. So these I thought would work well but if any one knows of any others that be great
Attachments:

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2019 21:44 #216824 by Mole
This is what I used to use on the quad
Attachments:

More
29 Dec 2019 22:11 #216825 by jackonlyjack

Mole wrote: I'm looking a pattern with a decent side lug I always found when I used to green lane on my quad if I fell in to a rut by riding the side of the rut with the side I could keep momentum up to keep going or claw my way out so figured it would work with the jimny. So these I thought would work well but if any one knows of any others that be great

I've just fitted this tread pattern for trialing work very well I run 195/80/16
Attachments:

More
29 Dec 2019 22:51 #216826 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Mud tires

Mole wrote: I'm looking a pattern with a decent side lug I always found when I used to green lane on my quad if I fell in to a rut by riding the side of the rut with the side I could keep momentum up to keep going or claw my way out so figured it would work with the jimny. So these I thought would work well but if any one knows of any others that be great

Not trying to be nasty, but a tyre like that is arguably completely the wrong thing for laning. Gives 4x4'ers a bad rap and makes a mess of the lanes. If the lane requires such tyres, then frankly you shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2019 23:30 #216832 by Mole
Completely get that and think your right I'd be happy to go for a less aggressive tire but do want a decent side lug do you have a tire you could recommend that would be a half way house

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Dec 2019 05:24 #216835 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Mud tires
Maxxis trepador. Dunno if they do your size but they do standard Jimny 205s. Nice tyres aggressive without being offensive and also a new tyre rather than a remoulded one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Dec 2019 10:00 #216839 by jackonlyjack
Mole....it's down to your budget
I also have a set of BFG KM2's these tyres work well on lanes great on rocks
is your jimny standard ?

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2019 10:16 #216841 by Mole
True. It's not bog standard its lifted and trimmed and a few other bits

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds