BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

transmission whine

More
09 Nov 2013 19:18 #90133 by facade
Replied by facade on topic transmission whine
Wipe them by all means.

The big seal round the swivel housing is a dust/splash shield. It won't keep water from a jetwash, or submersion out, once water gets inside it lies at the bottom and quickly rusts the lower bearing.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimkyx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2013 09:15 #90566 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic transmission whine
well I did drive another & this time it didn't wobble except occasionally under braking, again at 40 50 mph. Couldnt always get it to happen & it didnt feel like disc warp as it was all through the steering. :blink:

Suzuki dealer has agreed to fix wobble before sale & car would be under warranty for 12mths anyway. Reluctant to walk away as otherwise seems like a good car. What would you do? :ohmy:

Do they all do this??

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2013 20:13 #93182 by littletriple
OK, its decision time. :unsure:

Dealer has reduced wobble (by re-shimming king pins & changing some trailing arm bushes. (not sure exactly which ones yet). The wobble is considerably reduced & is now just a little wibble at 50mph & not always there. They say this is as good as it gets, & say their new demo Jimny does it too.

Should I accept this & try myself to eliminate totally? IS some slight wobble unavoidable? Am I chasing a rainbow? :ohmy: Need to decice next day so. Otherwise car is good. 2007 33k mls. Help :ohmy:

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2013 20:18 #93183 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic transmission whine

littletriple wrote: OK, its decision time. :unsure:

... They say this is as good as it gets, & say their new demo Jimny does it too ...

Ask for a test drive of it .............. ;)

More
25 Nov 2013 20:30 - 25 Nov 2013 20:41 #93186 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic transmission whine
No wobble on my 08?(42000mls) Never had it on my old 98 Jimny!!
Tyre imbalance usually occurs around 45/50 mph has this been checked??
Very doubtful about dealer saying his new Jimny does it as well??
Standard tyre pressures are 23 front 26 rear.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 20:41 by gilburton.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2013 20:51 #93194 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic transmission whine
shimming the kingpins isnt fixing the problem of knackered bearings merely helping to hide it, same as fitting a steering dampner will stop the wobble but does this solve the fact the bearings have had it.........no!

in my eyes they have cut corners to get rid of the car rather than doing the proper job,what else have they cut corners fixing to flog it without it costing them to much?!

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2013 21:12 #93207 by littletriple
thanks all for your responses. Not sure what I'll do but try to avoid a rash decision. May ask to drive the demo to compare.

Martin.

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2013 21:37 #93220 by littletriple

gilburton wrote: No wobble on my 08?(42000mls) Never had it on my old 98 Jimny!!
Tyre imbalance usually occurs around 45/50 mph has this been checked??
Very doubtful about dealer saying his new Jimny does it as well??
Standard tyre pressures are 23 front 26 rear.

They say the wheels were balanced along with the other work to eliminate the wobble. Haven't checked tyre pressures. Are they critical? Is the front end essentially unstable & waiting for anything to make it oscillate?

appreciate your help.

Martin

More
25 Nov 2013 22:51 - 26 Nov 2013 10:37 #93238 by gilburton
Well some time ago I put mine in for a service and when I got it back it felt as if the suspension had locked up and every bump felt as if I was going up a kerb.
They had only put them at 29 all round!!
Anyway if they are too hard you may be getting some deflection from the road surface.
Shouldn't be wheel bearings at 33000 mls.
Just one other point the Jimny steering box is the old fashioned worm type not rack and pinion so the steering is not as razor sharp as modern cars.
At your mileage it shouldn't be worn but it is adjustable.
When you say you are getting a slight wobble at 50 mph is it just a slight tremor? If so I would still suspect some sort of tyre/balance problem.
If the car is an 07 and only done 33000 your tyres are now around 6 yrs old and may be a bit hard as it's obviously not been used much. More use may soften them up a bit.
Only you can decide but I feel if the car is under the normal retail price and the dealer HAS shimmed the kingpins then only you can decide if it is worth it.
If buying from a Suzuki dealer you should get a reasonable guarantee??

Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 10:37 by gilburton.

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2013 21:47 #93926 by littletriple
OK. I tested the new demo car & it was nice. No wobble (despite what I was told)

Drove "my" car again for a good while & decided to check tyre pressures. Fronts were at 31psi !! I reset to 24psi & wobble is 99% gone. So will go ahead with the purchase as the rest of it is good & quiet too.

Is there an adjustment for centering the steering anywhere? sometimes there is a kind of zero adjust on the rack to set the null position? Car seems to want to go to the left sometimes.

Anyway I'm overall happy as I've now driven a few & this one feels good :)

Martin.

More
29 Nov 2013 21:54 #93927 by gilburton
Good that was an easy fix :)
They don't have a rack and pinion steering. It's old fashioned worm and ball but I'd run it for a while so that you get used to it as they are different to a modern car,
Probably you are finding the steering a bit "loose" in comparison.

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2013 14:19 #94414 by littletriple
thanks!

As this is nothing to do with transmission whine any more I'll start a new thread called steering :)

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds