× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

recovery.

More
19 Oct 2013 08:43 #86986 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic recovery.

TomDK wrote:

jonesyba420 wrote: Thats the thing I really dont.

way out of my price bracket at the moment for starters and I dont really want to go down that route,more to just pull myself back out of trouble rather than winching myself through the obstacle.

That may be.
But a winch, even a small 6500 lb one is still a gazillion times better than any tirfor/handwinch thingy. So maybe you find it more clever to pull yourself backwards. It still takes forever, comparing to winching yourself through the mud.

Also, a winch can be for winching up steep hills and such.
And it should be possible to find a decent used winch cheap.

Sounds like an expensive option for lazy people! Pulling yourself through obstacles is a fools game. You can't pull yourself backwards unless you have a degree in rigging and 11 conveniently place trees. And don't you have to notify insurance if you fit a winch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 09:19 #86992 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic recovery.
your best option if you don't want to fit winches to the jimny is a tirfor & selection of good straps & shackles but even then you have to hope you got somewhere to attatch it to to pull yourself out

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 09:25 #86997 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic recovery.

Busta wrote: Sounds like an expensive option for lazy people! Pulling yourself through obstacles is a fools game. You can't pull yourself backwards unless you have a degree in rigging and 11 conveniently place trees. And don't you have to notify insurance if you fit a winch?

I agree, im not some mud plugger that enjoys burying myself in a bog upto the roof, i just greenlane and dont want to not go out in the snow etc through fear of getting stuck as i can only call my dad to come rescue me which isnt fair on him.i just need something to pull me back if I do get grounded on ruts or mildly stuck so I can regain grip and reverse out of trouble to try a new line or abandon the lane.

And you would need 11 tree strops along with 11 snatch blocks etc etc etc........

am thinking about a cheapo 4 ton handwinch like the one jon linked to.i think for the amount of use its likely to get and the type of recovery it will be used for im hoping itll be ok.

does anyone know of any small land anchors as then I dont need a tree and miles of strops can recover myself from anywhere with an anchor?

I saw a video of some bloke recovering a ford pick up with a handwinch and ground anchor looked simple, the anchor was a single stake with a narrow spade shape going about half way up seemed to do the job. Anyone know of this type?suppose you then need to carry a sledge hammer to knock it in the ground and to remove it?

im pushed for space as need to keep the rear seats so want to carry the bare essensials.

More
19 Oct 2013 09:35 #86999 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic recovery.
As requested. :whistle:

You'll notice there is rope on it. :laugh: That is because I used it to pull a fence back in to place and needed a lot more length in an emergency - my whole fence had blown down. :(

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 09:39 #87001 by jonesyba420
Cheers mate,not to big really :)

More
19 Oct 2013 09:51 #87002 by helijohn

jonesyba420 wrote: Cheers mate,not to big really :)

I thought it would probably suit your purposes. If you can go to one of those winches in earlier posts I expect it would be much better but one has to draw the line somewhere. I used to use one to pull my SJ back in to the garage when I had a drive on a slope years ago.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 10:01 #87003 by jonesyba420
The tirfor ones definatly seem to get very good reviews etc but there pretty pricey even second hand and I cant warrent spending hundreds on something that might only be used once or twice a year if at all.

:ohmy: must have been a steep drive to need a winch!

Still cant find much about land anchors especially small ish ones, could get sommething made just dont really know what will be suitable dimentions.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 10:05 #87004 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic recovery.
Why the talk about 11 trees etc.

I don't drive out in a bog just to see how far I can get before getting stuck, but because I need to get across. So it doesn't make much sense being pulled backwards again.

So it's pretty simple really. Pull out which rope, attach to tree or anchor and winch in.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 10:13 #87007 by jonesyba420
To winch backwards with a front winch requires a rigging degree and 11 trees plus required kit :laugh: joke my friend.

thats fair enough if you NEED to go forwards but theres never any NEED to go forward when out recreationaly laning which is what im on about.

I like to "test" the vehicles ability so wont turn back at the slightest bit of mud so just need something to get back to solid ground when I push on to far and get stuck.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 10:23 - 19 Oct 2013 10:24 #87009 by jonesyba420
Thinking this one maybe pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300967557435

thoughts and comments welcome on the above and land anchor options suggestions.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2013 10:24 by jonesyba420.

More
19 Oct 2013 11:12 #87012 by helijohn

jonesyba420 wrote: Thinking this one maybe pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300967557435

thoughts and comments welcome on the above and land anchor options suggestions.

My comment is that IMHO it looks the same as most of them on there - I know it says 4T but it has precisely the same stuff as the ones I have bought. I would think you could do with either a longer cable or a cheaper price. If you were winching the motor vertically I might be more sceptical. Apart from that it is fine.

Some of the 4T load rating is obtained by the return pulley. If you think 2T is enough you won't have to double the cable back. Hope this helps.

It wasn't so much a steep drive Alex but it was more than I could push and in those days I would not start the motor just for a 10 second move. I still don't like to! :laugh: :laugh:

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 11:33 #87015 by jonesyba420
The 4 ton ones seem to have a longer cable which has its advantages. So a 4ton one is probably only capable of pulling 2ton on a single line?still alot more than the jimny weighs. I definately wouldnt be winching myself up a tree with it!

I already have 2 3meter 2ton tow straps and shackels,one strap to go between both tie down points to spread the load and the second can be joined to this to goto towing vehicle or winch etc.

other kit I think I need would be a tree strop and land anchor (minimises the amount of extra rope id need to carry just in case the nearest tree/suitable anchor is 30m away and to get the straightest pull possible). Anything im missing?

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds