× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

recovery.

More
19 Oct 2013 11:57 #87016 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic recovery.

jonesyba420 wrote: Anything im missing?

Like I said, no good asking me.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 12:18 #87017 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic recovery.
Faulty towers rocks :laugh: :laugh:

was a general question to everyone reading buddy :)

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 13:20 #87020 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic recovery.
after a days laning, which turned into quite a mess, loaded with a convoy of cars not just on my own,

i've found a winch is a peice of equipment that should be on the front of a off road vehicle, and is on my purchase list,

that day we had a hand winch that did do itself justice, but it was very very slow progress and was very manual and if on your own, outside the car you have no person to control the vehicle inside or to give a bit of power if needed,

the situation how it was that day, it would of been implausable/take days to move the dead car via a hand winch as it was only possible to go forwards, we had to winch around a mile of lane, which took the best part of 2 days todo via a electric winch,

if you think of the situations you could be in, the cost becomes irrelevant to an extent,

also i use to lane on my own but getting stuck for 19 hours till i could be recovered changed my opinion on it, why not try find other locals to go laning with?

also my opinion of waffle boards is high, very effective and simple recovery equipment

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 13:59 #87022 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic recovery.
I agree, waffle boards are a great piece of kit to carry, very versatile and not much money.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 14:02 #87023 by jonesyba420
Not fun times for yourself by the sound of things!

I generally dont stray far from home unless accompanied by my dads LR but we have a handfull of lanes within 20-30miles which the misses and I regualy drive as we like the scenery and the chance of seeing deer, especially the odd white one. the lanes are generaly fine in our experience so far but I haven't experienced them in a harsh winter like we're meant to have this year,so what im after is a simple means to pull myself back out of trouble to avoid calling for assistance if we do get stuck in the mud snow ruts (not that the lanes are rutted but this might change as the weather deteriorates).

at the first sign of trouble I'll stop advancing and try back up,im not one to push on hoping itll get better, id rather stop reverse and find another way.

I have thought about waffel boards but cant really get my head round how to use them effectivly if say your grounded out in ruts and cant go forwards or backwards.

my misses is a mechanic so not afraid of abit of manual labour,ive been a window cleaner for about 8yrs so I can handle abit of hardwork and im a frequent gym goer so we're well covered for the manual labour side of the operation.

im just thinking in the hour itll take for my dad to arive in his defender (longer if hes in bed and its midnight....yes I have woke him up for a rescue mission when I lost it drifting my clio in the snow many yrs ago!!ended cross axled on a bank :ohmy: . he loved it tho) I could rescue myself, without using a electric winch as I cant see it getting a whole lot of use.

More
19 Oct 2013 14:07 #87024 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic recovery.

jonesyba420 wrote: my misses is a mechanic .

Lucky devil. :whistle:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 14:20 #87028 by jonesyba420
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

only 20 aswell :P ;)

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 14:50 #87032 by jonesyba420
So back on topic....... has anyone got any videos of how to use waffel boards in various situations for recovery?ive heard there quite weighty to?

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 15:30 #87036 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic recovery.
Just shove them under the wheels! Mine have a gritted side that should be tyre side up. Dont thrash the engine otherwise they will just get propelled the otherway, especially in the ice and snow.

Mine are 10kg each I think and bolt to the roof rack using u-bolts and wing nuts. Check out the "What did you do to your Jimny today" thread as I have some photos of them fixed to my roofrack from a few weeks back.

• jonesyba420
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 15:52 #87037 by jonesyba420
yea i remember seeing the picture.

browsed some vids on youtube and they look highly effective for all sorts of applications.

what length did you go for?did you just ebay it or do you have any recomended websites?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 15:58 #87038 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic recovery.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThese don't weigh much :-)

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2013 16:11 #87040 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:recovery.
Just got some from eBay. Mine are about 1.3m long and 50mm thick.

Can also be used to bridge small ditches.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds