BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Brake balance valve

More
25 Jul 2013 13:37 #78154 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic Brake balance valve
in the service manual suggest this setting

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2013 15:18 #78165 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Brake balance valve

Bits4Vits wrote: trailmaster's solution is to lift the mounting point of the brake bias mechanism's spring to suit the 2" lift -

Photo blatently nicked from JimnyBits' store :whistle:

www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/trailmaster/ji...racket/prod_915.html

quick quick send a solicitors letter ! :silly:

More
25 Jul 2013 16:28 #78173 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Brake balance valve

facade wrote: I wouldn't mess, just stick some weight in the back for the MOT, messing might make the backs lock up too easily in the wet.

In The Olden Days I had a Hilman Imp. When I took it for MOT at a place with one of those new fangled roller testers, instead of a tapley meter , the fronts just locked out at hardly anything and kicked it out of the tester (the engine was in the boot ;) ) It took me and a spare mechanic sitting in the front boot affair to get it to pass.

That brings back memories. Car Mechanics gave a free gizmo that simulated one of those.

I've already made a note to put a few bags of compost in the back.............seriously!!

So brave to run a Hillman Imp. ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
25 Jul 2013 17:05 #78179 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Brake balance valve

helijohn wrote:
So brave to run a Hillman Imp. ;)

In retrospect yes.

I thought it was a great little car at the time (I was 18!), drove like a go-kart.

I moved on about 30 years ago :)

Then about 25 years ago a girl I worked with was nearly killed in one (spent a lot of time in hospital), went over a bump in the road and both front wishbones collapsed due to corrosion (IIRR, the imp only had lower wishbones, and the kingpins were nailed on the ends).

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
16 Sep 2013 11:15 #83347 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Brake balance valve
Got round to taking a second look at this and whipped off the insert that the spring hooks on to. I think the front brakes have been doing too much of the stopping.

A close look and you can see the insert has worn away on the inside edge so I have put an insert in there to take up the wear and add a mm so it gives a little more pull on the spring which in turn makes the rear brakes do more. Just wish I could go back to the rolling road to check but I think I'll steer clear until next year. :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds