BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

More
21 Sep 2019 21:48 #213763 by Reason2doubt
Haven't had much of a chance to work on the Jimny lately - rear recovery points and a front sway bar disconnect with a fresh lick of paint after some grinding and cutting.

Will fit it tomorrow once I pick up some more welding wire to puddle fill the disconnect tube. Also going to finally be looking at fitting out the back of the car with a plywood base and perhaps paint the floor.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2019 19:27 - 23 Sep 2019 19:28 #213786 by Reason2doubt
Made a start on the driver's side sill today. Bad news as I realised the footwell was pretty badly corroded too - it just kept falling away the more I went. Had to stick my screwdriver through it didn't I!! Hole around the body mount so started to make a repair on it as it would not get through the MOT.

Tomorrow's job: cut various bits of metal to fix the holes. Weld plates to inner sill and then weld plate to floor area. Remove any carpets and finish floor in black paint.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 19:28 by Reason2doubt.

More
26 Sep 2019 21:05 #213897 by Reason2doubt
Over the past few days had a lot of success welding up the floor in the drivers footwell. Replaced the front of the right sill and metal above the body mount. Sealed it all the way around after welding it in and gave it a fresh coat of paint over the entire floor in the whole car. Needless to say I have permanently removed the carpet from the car now - It's just far more practical. I was surprised to feel the passenger footwell carpet insulation still holding water! I can only assume this was from a river crossing about 3 weeks ago! No wonder they rust!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Got the front sway bar back on with the disconnect fitted and greased up.

File Attachment:

Next is something I have wanted to do since I got the car. The back panels were in good condition, but they tended to squeak and creek - especially the metal pins at the back of the Jimny where they clip in next to the rear door. I cut them out and put in a flat piece of plywood for the boot floor.

File Attachment:

Next I wanted to make some large storage bins on the side over the wheel arches - these will be used for tools and stuff later on - today I just made the frame for the box section and I will figure out the interior later on. Most likely some hinged folding flaps on the top.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Popped in a back board so that stuff doesn't come hurtling forward into the driver/passenger. Decide a little cut out would be nice so I could lean back and grab some stuff.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Next I will make some shallow drawers on the bottom, but that is for another day. There are only 4 screws holding the whole thing to the back of the car. I used the rear wheel arch seat mounts to friction hold the base in place very tight and then everything is attached to that. Very happy with the result - it's very solid and makes absolutely no noise when driving around (no squeaks of creeks). It will get refined over time.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2019 21:45 #213898 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Looking really good, love the rear wood work :)

More
26 Sep 2019 23:59 #213900 by Basketcase
Well you have been busy cutting and welding and bits!! Looks awesome though today we’ll as it’s now 1am yesterday(barely) I ran out of jobs to do at work so went and acquired the paint guys buffer and had a play with a, polishing the headlights and I can now see where I’m going on my way home and b, got convinced by a colleague to try the bonnet to just have a little look at what it’s like...well it’s like a different car!! Just need some more quiet days to do the rest of it now oh and a little bit of green paint might help with some other parts where buffing just won’t turn blue into green

More
27 Sep 2019 07:15 #213911 by Max Headroom
...Some nice Wilton carpet over all that woodwork perhaps? :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
29 Sep 2019 11:28 #213997 by RainerK
I took apart the radio plug.

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2019 13:55 #214006 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Fitted my rock sliders! ( Technically 2 weeks ago but I have been on holiday)
Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2019 14:08 #214008 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Very nice

More
29 Sep 2019 20:28 #214033 by Soeley
Must admit they looked good in the flesh (metal) today.

• Traxsjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 06:34 #214091 by Traxsjimny
Replied by Traxsjimny on topic Re:What did you do to your jimny today
Did a coolant flush power steering flush yesterday (29/9) plugs today and look at the horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
01 Oct 2019 06:43 #214092 by BGBrit
I'd be interested in the proceedure for the power stering flush and fill. Did you follow one or just wing it? I have the fliud but a little verous of doing it.. Cheers
Tony.

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds