BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

235/85-16 on Stock Suspension, No Body Lift & All Original Panels

More
23 Apr 2022 01:59 - 23 Apr 2022 03:06 #243073 by Rabid Rhino
Lambert... Your on Big Jimny with a Jimny & there's a guy on ebay doing Jimny stuff called Lambert Engineering.... Why aren't you the same guys ? It's not as if Lambert is a common name like ... Dave.

Rhino Riders... a blast from the past.
Still talk to Leigh and have a few of his Suzukis.
X8GGY = K9 RJD Dave....  Ah ha !! Cymru am byth !!!!
There was something you said that I was going to answer in this next post anyway...
It was justifying the expense of the portals.
(I dont know how to do quotes so screenshot will have to do)

Ha!! I wish.
What I did do is a comparison of cost between the portals and the conventional way of doing a  4" lift with gearing and all the similar hardware as in the portal kit to run 235/85-16s.
Here's  how I how I justfied the added expense of the portals...

4" Suspension Lift.                 £1,100
Front HD 1/2 shafts.                 £600
Rear Full Floating Axle kit         £800
Rear Disc Brake Conversion.   £500
4 Manual Free Wheeling Hubs £200
410 t-case (19% hi reduction)  £300
SJ t-case conversion kit.          £300
Longer Braided Brake Lines.    £100
​Total.Propshaft Spacers.         £100
Total.                                        £4,000 = €4,800

My portals weren't much more, as like I said I got a "killer" deal. The 1998 - 2018 portals are a lot cheaper than the 2018+ whose price was quoted somewhere on this forum which i could certainly not afford.

Makes me think of the Mastercard add....

15" Clearance at the diff......PRICELESS.

And its that that drove me to go this way plus the stress the portals take off the diff & shafts. (But add to the axle cases.... shhh)

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Apr 2022 03:06 by Rabid Rhino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Apr 2022 04:22 #243074 by Lambert

Lambert... Your on Big Jimny with a Jimny & there's a guy on ebay doing Jimny stuff called Lambert Engineering.... Why aren't you the same guys ? It's not as if Lambert is a common name like ... Dave

Ah but he is Timothy Lambert whereas I am Lambert Coverdale, why wouldn't everyone know that, I mean it's not like I had to look him up on Companies House or anything. Haha.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Apr 2022 11:21 #243122 by Dirtbird

Lambert... Your on Big Jimny with a Jimny & there's a guy on ebay doing Jimny stuff called Lambert Engineering.... Why aren't you the same guys ? It's not as if Lambert is a common name like ... Dave

Made me laught some of my cold tea out of my mouth.......
Ah but he is Timothy Lambert whereas I am Lambert Coverdale, why wouldn't everyone know that, I mean it's not like I had to look him up on Companies House or anything. Haha.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
19 May 2023 10:54 - 20 May 2023 05:51 #249174 by Rabid Rhino
This Jimny has fought me tooth & nail.
So many of the big bolt on parts have not gone on as simply as they should have.
Is it because its a convertible ?
1) Front bumper requiring 0.5" x 20" strip from the back to be cut off and extra played welded to top of chassis In order to fit.
2) Rear bumper brackets having to be almost remade then even when it all lined up a small piece had to be cut away for it to fit properly.
3) Rear hubs not centering in wheel arches.

This last point I'll detail next.

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 20 May 2023 05:51 by Rabid Rhino. Reason: Pics didn't embed

More
20 May 2023 06:11 #249188 by Rabid Rhino
The whole point of this build was to keep everything stock with just the addition of the portals and not have to cut anything seeing as that's how the kit is sold.
So I was dissapointed when the rear axle didn't center up in the arches and I had to trim back the plastics.
It just didn't look right, so I thought my only choice/solution would be to move the axle back a couple of inches by either relocating the radius arm mounts back or making longer radius arm then relocating the panhard chassis mount.
I found a local fabricator Joe who i just happened to meet with his friend Jeff in Moab in the late 90s. I layer met Jeff in England in the early 00s through Leigh.
Joe was hesitant to relocate the axle and thinking outside the box decided to pivot the portal hubs.
The rear flenges were unbolted and welded to the axle. They can still be removed if necessary but right now they fit the Jimny perfectly and even gained a fraction more ground clearance.
Most importantly the tyres clear on full stuff all the way round....

just.   

Attachments:

More
20 May 2023 06:15 - 20 May 2023 06:18 #249189 by Rabid Rhino
Stock suspension works well.

[attahment=40520]PXL_20221219_224346812.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2023 06:18 by Rabid Rhino.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds