BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Another green laner build

More
26 Feb 2024 23:53 #254629 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Another green laner build
I think i have 8 or 9 nights in my jimny a bit like your setup. Feet in the glove box.
Biggest issue for me was ventilation and missing mosquito net over the open windows in the warm summer nights.

Sorry for spamming :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2024 08:08 #254636 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Another green laner build
I have also just noticed you fridge is the same as mine. I made a mount for it that is screwed down to my pull out slide and attaches to where the wheels and trolley handle were.

Pictures Here

More
02 Mar 2024 12:10 #254747 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Another green laner build
Sorry, I didn't see your reply. For some reason the forum doesn't notify me of replies to this thread. It notifies me of replies too all others.
So far in 3 days of testing it's used maybe 1.5 - 2l. According to my calculations it should use about 80ml per hour at it's lowest setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
02 Mar 2024 12:21 #254748 by LesNewell

I got the same fridge as you or one size smaller. Annoying that there is no hooks on it for straps. Will boldly screw on some hooks one day when I get more fed up or collect the courage for it. 

Yes, it's a bit of a pain not having any hooks. As well as the strap over one side and the wooden brace I removed the rear handle and attached an angle bracket to one of the screw holes.

Biggest issue for me was ventilation and missing mosquito net over the open windows in the warm summer nights.

Sorry for spamming

Yes, ventilation is an issue. I've slept in it a few times at home and the first night I made the mistake of keeping the windows closed. There was condensation everywhere in the morning. I had to run the heater on high for a couple of hours to dry it out a bit. With the windows cracked open the condensation is a bit less. No worries about mosquitos in this weather!

No worries on the spamming it's always good to have feedback.

More
02 Mar 2024 18:34 #254758 by LesNewell
Here's a closer look at the water setup with fold out soap dispenser. These pics were taken after my first trial sleeping in it overnight at around 0C outside temperature. A lot of the water on the window is condensation. The good news is that the combination of a decent sleeping bag and 12V electric blanket kept me nice and warm even at that temperature.

The awning works fairly well now it is properly sewn together but it is a bit low.

I do have a problem with water pooling if it rains heavily.

The sticks split in half and screw together. They form a compact bundle that fits nicely alongside one of the shopping totes.

Before going out on a proper run I wanted to get the jack sorted out. Here is what I came up with. The foot can be positioned in multiple places up the jack body. Simple lines of weld stop it sliding down. The more load there is on the foot the more firmly it pulls into the body of the jack so it can't slide past the line of weld under load.

My battery drill has enough power to lift the car.

Attachments:

More
08 Mar 2024 20:35 #254940 by LesNewell
A spot of paint makes the jack a bit more presentable.

The pivoting winch mount I made some time back works well but I had problems with the angle adjuster slipping so changed the curved slot to a row of holes. That way it can't slip. Here are before and after pics

I took it out for it's first overnight away from home a few days back. Apart from losing the locking hubs (a pipe came off) it went pretty well. I did get a little cold overnight. It wasn't until the morning that I noticed the electric blanket was on half power! The battery was down to about 80% in the morning. I keep the charge rate down to about 12-15A to save the alternator so it would need about 1.5 - 2 hours of driving to get the battery back up to full charge. It looks like the battery probably has enough capacity to last 3-4 days camping without starting the engine. The fridge is the biggest consumer of power so in hot weather the battery may not last more than 2-3 days.

No need for leveling jacks with air suspension.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
08 Mar 2024 21:20 - 08 Mar 2024 21:21 #254944 by LesNewell
I forgot to mention I got it weighed a couple of days ago. With all recovery gear, tools, nearly full water and fuel tanks the total came to 1350kg including me in the driver's seat. If I remember correctly the GVM is 1420kg so I'm well under.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2024 21:21 by LesNewell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Mar 2024 03:39 #254946 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Another green laner build
Wow. Someone else who takes gvm seriously enough to get weighed! Welcome to the club.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Mar 2024 08:16 #254954 by LesNewell
Yes it's surprising how quickly the weight builds up if you're not careful, especially on a small car like a Jimny. Add a winch, under body protection and side steps and before you know it all you can legally carry is one passenger and a small suitcase.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds