BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

lightweight buggy

More
01 Sep 2021 09:03 #238098 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic lightweight buggy

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Sep 2021 09:31 #238102 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic lightweight buggy
So why don't we have it from the factory, it would be even cheaper doing it as a bulk run? Cheers Suzuki!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2021 18:36 - 01 Sep 2021 18:52 #238128 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic lightweight buggy

that looks nice, if i was rebuilding one for the road thats the way i would go,  but 100kg extra is too much for my lightweight buggy  but more importantly ive still have lots of welding to do on the chassis and trying to weld galv is a pain in the ass lol
would love to rebuild one as standard with a galv chassis if i could find a mint shell to start with.  more chance of knitting fog i think 

Last edit: 01 Sep 2021 18:52 by Baloo.

More
02 Sep 2021 22:36 #238172 by Dirtbird
Not 100kg according to  the lads here.
more like 10 kg

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2021 18:25 #238404 by Baloo
well the chassis finally came back from the shotblasters,   we managed to drag the shot blast nozzel down inside most of the chassis as it was in two halves,  nice and clean inside now too

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

so then i set about joining the 2 bits back together again   less about 10"  that i deemed as not required,  so now we have a short wheelbase jimny chassis

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2021 18:28 #238405 by Baloo
axles next then 

File Attachment:

i have this urge to strip them so i can have them shot blasted and powder coated  but im resisting the urge as im not sure i will run with these for long

More
09 Sep 2021 18:46 #238406 by Dirtbird

well the chassis finally came back from the shotblasters,   we managed to drag the shot blast nozzel down inside most of the chassis as it was in two halves,  nice and clean inside now too

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

so then i set about joining the 2 bits back together again   less about 10"  that i deemed as not required,  so now we have a short wheelbase jimny chassis

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Looking good fella.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2021 09:05 - 10 Sep 2021 20:15 #238420 by Baloo
why is there so many dam holes in the chassis, sure it lets the water out after a river crossing but it also lets it in in the first place 

File Attachment:

i was thinking as ive  got all the crap out i would like it to stay that way,   what do you think to the idea of welding all the holes up so the chassis is a sealed container and then add a  drain plug on top  and  pour some wax oil or thick oil in there and just leave it to run round in the chassis ???
Last edit: 10 Sep 2021 20:15 by Baloo.

More
10 Sep 2021 15:09 #238428 by Dirtbird
Yeah do it , alot of work but will be clean. I had a motorbike a Honda with an "oil in frame " oil tank. My dad did something the same in Yemen with a LandRover Santana for carrying extra water in case of brake downs and rad busts. 

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2021 20:17 #238443 by Baloo
had my wheels back from the powder coaters as well,  2 sets  i prefer the ones nearest the camera, mach 5's  but they are so heavy compared to the alloys at the other end of the bench,   but i guess you could argue low down weight is a good thing ?

File Attachment:

More
10 Sep 2021 21:31 #238446 by Dirtbird

had my wheels back from the powder coaters as well,  2 sets  i prefer the ones nearest the camera, mach 5's  but they are so heavy compared to the alloys at the other end of the bench,   but i guess you could argue low down weight is a good thing ?

File Attachment:
Its funny I get more of a kick out of cleaning stuff down and for instance getting it powder coated, or freshened up than getting new stuff what is that. 
Your wheels look New Baloo. I like the alloys though. 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Sep 2021 03:45 #238450 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic lightweight buggy
If you don't want the mach5s because you know, they are heavy, I'll rehome them?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds