BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2018 07:12 #197833 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Very , errr , robust! I actually quite like that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2018 15:53 #197850 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Ulysses
I absolutely love looking at the work you are doing, please keep posting when you can.
The bumper looks great, but not 100% sure of the lower tube loop at the moment. Absolutely agree its better than the first loop, but I just see a big smiling mouth when I look at it ...:woohoo:
Not saying its bad in any way and sorry for this feedback as you never asked for it.
How about reducing the loop height and adding an angled lower sheet guard to the chassis?

Just thinking out loud, carry on and ignore me.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Nov 2018 18:10 #197861 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Criticism is welcomed. It does look very much like a grinning face at the moment. puts me in mind of this character:

The lower tube hoop goes as far as it does so that it just covers the chassis outriggers that remain. The original bumper sticks out a lot further than this one does, which means the hoop needs to come a bit forward of the bumper itself. Some reworking will be on the next round to see if I can make it look any better :-)

It is a bit on the robust side (being 5mm wall box steel), not exactly pedestrian friendly, but not an issue for the MOT thankfully :laugh:

The recesses around the headlights were a right pain to cut into them and fill up, pleased with them though. The garage is actually an old bus garage. used to fit two of them in there somehow apparently. Plenty of room for a couple of Jimnys and a van in these pics (the owner of a garage has a nasty old van and a tidy old boxster and parks whichever isnt being used in there). I just rent 2/3rds of the space.

Sniper i like the sound of laser cut stuff, but probs out of the budget for now. Not sure about the rusty look. had enough of rust on this car already :blink: :woohoo:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
20 Nov 2018 18:31 #197863 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
I like the look Riccy ;)
Just cut the chassis bumper mounts off and push the bar back :whistle:

More
20 Nov 2018 18:36 #197864 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Ulysses
LOOKING AWESOME RICCY,

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Nov 2018 19:12 - 20 Nov 2018 19:13 #197866 by Riccy
Thanks gv42 :-)

jackonlyjack wrote: I like the look Riccy ;)
Just cut the chassis bumper mounts off and push the bar back :whistle:

There was much debate with Dave over that. I can of course make them look like they were never there, but on inspection i think they are some sort of front crumple zone, which probably should stay? Obvs, the big solid steel bumper sort of negates the point of them now :laugh:

Edit: Jack, can you post a pic of your KAP front end setup? i think it looks similar to this one in some way?

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Last edit: 20 Nov 2018 19:13 by Riccy.

More
21 Nov 2018 12:15 #197908 by jackonlyjack

The mesh is flexible HDPE 6.5mm hole size

With bumper mounts cut off

The plate is 3mm aluminium bent cave man style with a hammer and bolts on where the anti roll bar mounted

Jack
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 18:19 #197937 by Riccy
Thanks Jack, yes its pretty similar but yours is even closer in. Neat with the chassis legs chopped off as well as that plate. Looks ideal.

There will probably be a winchplate going in there so i guess that i will need to keep the chassis ends for that on mine.

More
21 Nov 2018 19:32 #197946 by jackonlyjack
chassis ends need to go i'm sorry to say they're weak as piss replace them with 80x40 box section then weld your winch plate on
I have been advised to chop out the front cross member
weld in some box section with a 50mm receiver hitch built into it
Has i want my winch on a removable plate
also a 50mm hitch on the rear
:)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
09 Dec 2018 18:20 #198807 by Riccy
Oily stuff today.

Got a road trip planned on friday around manchester area to pickup and drop off parts for this build. Needed to take the gearbox and t-box out as they are going so up on the ramps and drain the gearbox oil.

First out was the transfer box. sat next to J999MNY's original one (this one is on the parts run for Sniper).

Then an almighty fight and finally the gearbox is out...

Took some doing but thats now ready for the parts run as well (this one is a swap with James Priestly for an earlier R7me gearbox to suit the rest of it with better ratio's).

Had a look at the clutch. not as bad as expected, but defo due a new one...

Did also have a go at the bumper again last weekend. chopped the hoop off the bottom and have made a box to go at the end of the chassis rails with curved ends like the top one. Also some box section links and a mega tow point have been made (2x10mm thick steel plate). Another tow point to make to match and these will work as mounting points for the bumper to chassis, as well as brace it all together. Forgot to take and pics of that of course :laugh:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
19 Dec 2018 17:32 #199186 by Riccy
Taken some pics of the front lower bit now its together but not mounted. Gives 2 very sturdy towpoints that bolt through the box section and into the chassis rails a fair way. Looks like its sticking out in one of the pics as ive not got it bolted in place, but fairly happy with it so far.

And in other news... picked up a load of bits last friday on a parts run from J999pre, Sniper and TomDK. Nice to meet all of you and I now have a load of useful bits for the project. Theres a R7me gearbox, 5.14 rocklobster box, 2x ARB lockers in 3.9 diffs, HD shafts, Castor arms, HD steering & panhards, etc, etc, etc. There's so much stuff I had to go down in the van for it all :laugh:

No pics of most of that, but heres one of the new boots that have arrived today...

these are 285/75r16 (32.8"x11.2") Toyo open country MT. It will mean trimming the bodywork to get that huge tyre in there, but thats not the end of the world.
Next I need to get the 16" GV rims stripped of tyres and cleaned up/painted to get these monster's mounted. Might see what they are like on J999MNY... :evil:

The following user(s) said Thank You: furo

More
19 Dec 2018 20:16 #199196 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Ulysses
LOOKING GOOD and like the toyo tyre,

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds