BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Oct 2016 05:46 #173264 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
Nooooooo the orange vents.have gone! Boo hiss.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2016 20:59 #173284 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny

11/60 wrote: Nooooooo the orange vents.have gone! Boo hiss.

I can only apologise :D

Decided to put the 6 speed lexus box in the scrap pile today..I can live with 5...only have one or two projects before my next jimny related one.

Clearing some space in the shop over the next few weeks so I can fit more stuff in.

• Tom1357
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2016 11:07 #173358 by Tom1357
Replied by Tom1357 on topic Turbo Jimny
Would it be possible to install a turbo on a G13bb without altering fueling? As in, aftermarket ecu etc

I've been thinking of this, then found your post, and it's brilliant to see someone who's done it!

I thought I could make my own manifold, get a turbo of something small engined, I was thinking 1.6hdi type turbo, which I think is similar to the 1544 you've gone for.

Manifold made myself, second hand turbo, used intercooler and pipework, should be a very cheap way of some extra ponies :)

Obviously more air would mean more fuel necessary, but would the standard ECU be able to compensate and be sufficient for a low boost setup?

I only ask, ask mechanically I'm mildly capable, but the whole altering fueling and mapping, I am not. And it would keep it cheaper if I didn't have to.

More
11 Oct 2016 11:29 #173359 by Keithy
I saw a thread on difflock where someone fitted a turbo and only other thing he fitted was a rising rate fuel pressure regulator....With a 1:1 fpr it only injects the same amount of fuel so I can't see how that works...and have'nt got round to asking him how it gives more fuel.

Have a look for dwr I think online....who sell a "complete" kit for the G13B

Sadly I could'nt figure a way around the fuelling so had to do it the ECU way.

Talk appears now and then regarding remapping the original ecu but never a mounts to anything.

I was beaten through the lights this morning.....I need teaction control next ::dry::
Megasquirt is the way I went....very happy with it.

• Tom1357
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2016 11:51 #173360 by Tom1357
Replied by Tom1357 on topic Turbo Jimny
Right OK, so definitely a no go without altering fueling? As in it can't figure it out itself using the MAF/MAP or something?

I'll search those people you mentioned :)

More
11 Oct 2016 22:25 #173406 by Keithy
Standard jimny map/ecu has no idea what to do with pressure Tom....I did toy with "lying" to the ecu with a resistor engaged by a pressure switch to tell it to put the choke on....Not controllable so went with the megasquirt....If you like soldering you could do it a lot cheaper than I did.....but I don't see too good at close range.......Possibly you could control the whole thing for under £400 by getting it in kit form from diyautotune.com.....i bought mine from Phil Ringwood at extraefi.co.uk

Beware the 14.7 wideband lambda controller.....mine fell apart due to the housing being made on a 3d printer.....if I'd known that's what it was made of I'd have been more gentle with it.....It got replaced by an Innovate mtx....fantastic piece of kit!

Any questions on the installation just ask away.

More
11 Oct 2016 22:50 #173407 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Turbo Jimny

Tom1357 wrote: but would the standard ECU be able to compensate and be sufficient for a low boost setup?

No once the ECU sees the pressure go above the initial barometric pressure reading it'll start to raise the baro reading, once that goes outside the preset diagnostic limits then the ECU will fall into limp-mode.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
15 Dec 2016 09:02 #175671 by Keithy

Rhinoman wrote:

Tom1357 wrote: but would the standard ECU be able to compensate and be sufficient for a low boost setup?

No once the ECU sees the pressure go above the initial barometric pressure reading it'll start to raise the baro reading, once that goes outside the preset diagnostic limits then the ECU will fall into limp-mode.

Not sure it had a limp mode Rhinoman.....the CEL was a constant addition whenever it saw boost but I never noticed any change in performance....so much so that I had a permanent resetter installed :D

I'm going to call the mod a success as it's been fine since installation....not blown up or melted.

More
18 Dec 2016 21:04 #175784 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Turbo Jimny
It has many fail safe modes. I would hazard a guess that the fault code was for the MAP sensor from which barometric pressure is derived. It'll default to a TPS/RPM based algorithm which is set quite rich so that probably helps on boost.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
05 Jan 2017 01:19 #176247 by Keithy
Correction....I knew I'd spoken too soon! :D

It threw a conrod Monday......it's a 1.6 M16A turbo now......video of the failure and some pictures to come later.

Failed at 89.907 miles....got the new engine from Supergaz Monday night and finished the swap over tonight.

First drive of it in the morning....

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2017 08:00 #176248 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Turbo Jimny
Keith,

Any indication as to the location of the failure of the rod?

we had a quick chat at work on hearing about the failure, and reckon a likely contender is a big end bolt, which if it is, is probably not due to the turbocharging, as big ends fail in tension (high revs) rather than compression (big bangs). of course the rod could simply have buckled and failed under the additional power, but I doubt it, as it wasn't that much of an increase was it?

Paul.

More
05 Jan 2017 10:45 #176250 by Keithy
Post mortem tonight.....not a big end....I can see the bolts are still there.

I think a valve started it.....my guess for now (spark plug is flattened but not really looked deeper...busy swapping the engine)

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds