BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 07:50 #171854 by kevinbarry18
Replied by kevinbarry18 on topic Turbo Jimny
I think i need a 6th gear...if you think the sound the jimny makes at 4k rpm is like a demented bee at 86 mph....add a half dozen extra bees and a dyson...i think the speedo is the least of my problems and fun at the same time..:)..:)...:)..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2016 18:06 #171997 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny

kevinbarry18 wrote: I think i need a 6th gear...if you think the sound the jimny makes at 4k rpm is like a demented bee at 86 mph....add a half dozen extra bees and a dyson...i think the speedo is the least of my problems and fun at the same time..:)..:)...:)..

I hear ya!

Yesterday I discovered that when a Kuga driver puts his boot down to stop you overtaking you can get to 95 in a flash in a Jimny......I don't think he saw that coming....probably having nightmares about Jimny's now! :D

So here's what I've noticed about the jimny turbo conversion so far.

It can actually be driven steadily....once past the excitement of the power boost.....might be some time for me!
With it's mapping it only starts to come on boost @2000RPM and is fantastic for putting a bow-wave in front on fords.

The extra torque comes nice and smooth(providing boot isn't on the floor!)along with the power...

Fuel consumption is better than NA(with large tyres lift etc)....even with my new lead foot! 220 miles from a tankful(wife in car so could use more fuel ;-)

17PSI boost@9.5:1 CR so as a standard Jimny does virtually nothing until 3500RPM I should have done this conversion as soon as I bought the Jimny.....thought about the M16A and tp be honest the power difference wasn't too appealing...considering the 235 tyres lift etc....Might have a look at an M16AVVT if it starts getting tame but then I'd have to do the forged pistons new rods...etc.

My next move with this is a final dyno tune to nail the timing and fuelling down for maybe a small percentage of economy and of course the printout flag to drape across my phallus/find out exactly what I've done :D

Spent Saturday laning in the Lake district Tilberthwaite etc no problems at all.....with power weather could have been better!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2016 08:34 #172388 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Turbo Jimny
really nice keithy B) B) B) B)

More
16 Sep 2016 20:24 #172437 by Keithy

Daniel30 wrote: really nice keithy B) B) B) B)

Cheers Daniel....Wait til you see the bonnet vents :D

More
17 Sep 2016 19:10 #172495 by Keithy

Keithy wrote:

Here they are.....MKI :D

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Sep 2016 04:33 #172512 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
From that i guess that the turbo is making it just a little bit warm under the bonnet? They doo look neat though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2016 18:46 #172533 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Turbo Jimny

Keithy wrote:

Keithy wrote:

Like a modern sculpture love it :)

More
18 Sep 2016 19:40 #172539 by Keithy

Daniel30 wrote:

Keithy wrote:

Keithy wrote:

Like a modern sculpture love it :)

I've only gone and powder coated them to match my wheels....waiting to see if it grows on me...

More
18 Sep 2016 20:09 #172544 by Keithy
Not too sure tbh about the colour......Certainly lets the heat out now....my cats love it! :D

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Sep 2016 04:09 #172553 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
Even more better in orange!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keithy

More
19 Sep 2016 07:18 #172560 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Turbo Jimny
Great to see you've got this finished. I know it's not all about the figures... but I look forward to seeing the dyno results. I've been running a m16a for nearly a year and whilst it is a massive improvement over the 1.3, it by no means makes it a quick car. A small turbo would help it no-end.

More
20 Sep 2016 19:22 #172621 by Keithy

Busta wrote: Great to see you've got this finished. I know it's not all about the figures... but I look forward to seeing the dyno results. I've been running a m16a for nearly a year and whilst it is a massive improvement over the 1.3, it by no means makes it a quick car. A small turbo would help it no-end.

Called at a dyno shop last week...no touchy Megasquirts..... I'd decided this wasn't the place for me anyhow....emailed another shop...no reply....liked the look of the setup there so will call them Thursday, I'm trying to avoid the balls out "on the edge" kind of tune the racecar at work gets.....it's my daily after all.

It just needs a fine tune at the top end which I can't do whilst driving although I sneaked another degree on the timing tonight ::dry:: and will take a percentage point off the fuelling if that goes well....I've yet to install the knock conditioner...been busy driving it and working.

It's been a blast the last few weeks Busta.....With "spirited" driving it gets 15MPG! :D When laning it improves to around 25MPG but my right foot seems to have become leaden lately.

I'm going to attribute 150BHP/200ftlbs to it.......Anyone fancy a guess?

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds