× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
03 Jun 2015 21:36 - 03 Jun 2015 21:39 #145376 by X8GGY
So, where were we...?

Monday I got the shafts out and passed them to my local friendly garage to replace the bearings and ABS rings...

Tuesday afternoon, whilst out walking out Labradors, the guys returned the shafts and dropped them off in my Post Office / Shop...

So, today, Wednesday...

Armed with a £1 pack of Fiesta kitchen towels...

I thoroughly cleaned the ends of the axle casing...

And then re-inserted the shafts with the new oil seal, ABS ring and bearing fitted, I find it easier to use a slide hammer, as the weight of it attached to the wheel studs lifts the splined end of the shaft up enough that it slides into the diff splines easily, and then the slide hammer works in reverse to apply even pressure into the middle of the wheel flange to ease the bearing back into the axle... a few good whacks and it slides home easily...

I then stripped the old brake pipes off the axle casing...

And fitted the first - nearside - conversion plate to the end of the axle...

And then reattached the wheel spacer to keep the disk in place...

...whilst I fitted the (Renault Megane) caliper to the conversion plate...

And then pivoted the brake piston into place...

And attached the handbrake cable with it's conversion spacer tube, and the new flexi brake hoses into place...

I then sat back and pondered how to attach the flexi hoses to the axle casing... and then popped out...

... and came back with a box of P-Clips from a local electrical supplier...

That's better... thinking about how I'd connected the main breather tube to the snorkel - I used the P-Clips (these are copper plastic-coated ones) to attach the flexi hose to the original mounting bolts on the axle casing that held the old brake pipes...

And then used more of them to run the flexi across the axle casing back to the t-piece...

And another on the offside of the axle...

Where again I fitted the shaft with new oil seal, bearing and ABS ring, new disk, new caliper, new brake flexi...

And routed the flexi under the spring saddle safely away from the AVO shock...

Last job then... refill the axle casing with oil, and a new filler plug and seal from the BigJimny store...

And then get the wheels and tyres back on...

And then lean back with the camera and admire my work B)

I then popped round to my local friendly garage again and asked the guys if they would check my work, bleed the brakes and adjust them (regular readers and friends will know "I don't (usually) do brakes!")... And they said, "Sure, bring it round", so I gingerly drove the Jimny around the block in 2WD-Low for the engine braking and controlability, they checked it all over, bled the brakes, adjusted the handbrake, and returned it back to my shop within a few hours, and said I'd done a good job, no leaks, and the handbrake was about right! So perhaps I can do brakes after all?!

Must end with a big thanks to JimnyBits, a very well thought out disk brake conversion kit, well written and easy to follow instructions (even I could follow them!), and easy to fit, even for the DIY mechanic like myself...

And it will make changing the rear bearings much easier in future... in another 14 or so greenlaning trips?!

Which reminds me... next job (Sunday?) is to check the front brake pads, and change the oil in the front (LSD) diff and the Redacted rocklobster transfer box... More on that soon then?.......
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 21:39 by X8GGY.
The topic has been locked.
  • Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2015 07:53 #145390 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Bloody good job Dave, remembering to take the pics as you go ............ ;)
More
04 Jun 2015 12:52 #145395 by X8GGY
LOL, thanks Tadpole ;)

I've always blogged my mods and trips over the years, so it's second nature for me to pause every ten minutes and take a relevant photo...

Does un-nerve the wife though! PMSL :woohoo:

Dave ;)
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2015 18:40 #145407 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Looks good dave ! Looks a good bit of kit.sensible move on getting your work checked out cant be too sure when it comes to brakes.
  • the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2015 15:08 #145531 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Your doing a great job, really good pics and discriptions keep them coming ;)
More
07 Jun 2015 20:31 #145621 by X8GGY
Thanks Guys! :woohoo:

On Friday (the 5th) I popped out in the NGV to get -

5 litres of rear diff oil (for 'stock' ready for next time) and 5 litres of LSD oil for today, Sunday...

It works out cheaper to buy it in volume!

So, Sunday came, and after a bit of a lie-in, walk the dogs, and a family cooked breakfast, I started by dropping the oil out of the front axle...

A little bit of a deposit on the drain plug again, but then this was a front Vitara Calmini LSD grafted into a front third member of a Jimny by the God of Gearing, Redacted now @ RAM Auto Design... and with the crown wheel and pinion again getting re-aquainted, a bit of settling in was inevitable...

I wiped the drain plug clean, but there were still metal filings attached to it where I'd also attacked the axle casing with an angle-grinder to get the diff to fit back in, so in the end...

I used a brand-new drain plug I had in stock on the garage shelving, from the BigJimny store... Of course!

Hmmm, strange?! the oil looks a little muddy too? Although there doesn't seem to be any actual water in with the oil? Weird...?

Out comes the trusty oil pump "syringe" and in goes the fresh...

LSD Oil...

Next? a 24mm socket? that can only mean one thing...

Drain the Redacted rocklobster transfer box...

Out comes the old oil... very dark, more on that later...

A bit of sludge here too, although that lobster box has had fourteen punishing 'laning trips since the last oil change...

So, in goes... some nice thick "Classic Gear Oil!...

And a dessert spoon of Moly Grease...

Spooned in from the spoon to the transfer box via a screwdriver... a slow patient job, but well worth it!

And... a helluva job trying to suck the thick oil into the syringe, and then pump it into the transfer box!

But... that's it then, all the lubes changed and ready for the weekend trip to the Lake District on the 20th/21st of June...

B)
More
10 Jun 2015 11:45 - 10 Jun 2015 11:47 #145747 by X8GGY
Hmmm... finished changing all the oils, and went for a test drive only to find squealing noises from the rear (brakes?) all the time, not just when braking?...

So I started stripping the rear end and found...

Hmmm, not the disks rubbing on the calipers as I had expected to find...

But the calipers rubbing on the wheels?! Hmmm, easy fix for that then...

Gingerly got the angle grinder out and take a smidge off the top of the calipers!

Sorted! One last thing to do though?... A test drive!

Nice sunny day, so for once... for the first time since doing the roof bars?!... I threw the front soft-top section back and went for a sunny and airy drive around some local country lanes... on the tarmac though...

I was tempted to go and do some local greenlanes, but thought better of going on my own... you never know...!

I'll wait until the 20th / 21st when we're greenlaning in the Lake District for the weekend... I just hope the weather is as nice and I can throw the soft-top front section back again... B)
Last edit: 10 Jun 2015 11:47 by X8GGY.
  • Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2015 11:50 #145749 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
lovely work Dave,

do those Renault Calipers improve the braking performance in general?

I've found the brakes on my Jimny to be a little underwhelming, Suzuki doesn't seem to bothered about checking through them.

Paul.
More
10 Jun 2015 11:52 #145750 by X8GGY
Awesome brakes Paul, and the other main benefit is that the drums won't fill up with offroad mud and sludge and become grinding paste for the rear shoes...

AND... a handbrake that works! LOL B)

So the best of all worlds...
  • Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2015 12:00 #145752 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
thanks Dave,

have you changed all four brakes I take it?

what Renault are they from, and is there much alterations to do to get them to fit?

sorry for all the questions, but curiosity is building haha.

Paul.
More
10 Jun 2015 12:04 #145754 by X8GGY
It's a kit from JimnyBits, Paul -

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/brakes/cat_190.html

So the front brakes remain the same, the rear drums are removed and the disk brake conversion brackets, Renault calipers & pads and Jimny front disks are added...

All here - www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...8&id=53695&start=360 - a couple of pages back in this, my build thread...

Hope that helps B)

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul_sterling
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2015 12:07 #145755 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...

Paul_sterling wrote: thanks Dave,

have you changed all four brakes I take it?

what Renault are they from, and is there much alterations to do to get them to fit?

sorry for all the questions, but curiosity is building haha.

Paul.

Paul what reg is yours thought it was brand new??
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds