BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Daily on road use

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2014 09:22 #98654 by Jenksdogg
Daily on road use was created by Jenksdogg
Alright guys I'm about to purchase a wonderful Jimny. I want to tart it up to look off road but will need to use it every day to get to work.

Thinking of a two inch lift and some naughty all terrain tyres.

Any suggestions? Costs? Sizes etc?

Much appreciated

Jamie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2014 10:02 #98655 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re:Daily on road use
Hi Jamie,

If you just want it to look like an offroader stick a spring spacer on each corner, that will give it about an inch in lift. Then stick some Mud Terrain tyres on. Cost for the spacers will be about £100.

If you want a proper offroader get a 2" lift kit. They are £500 - £800 depending on where you get it from. I suggest the 50mm (2") trailmaster kit from bits4vits.com, then a set of recip trial tyres. All together it will be around the £1000 mark.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2014 12:36 #98672 by Jenksdogg
Replied by Jenksdogg on topic Re:Daily on road use
Thanks mate. What are the biggest tyres I can put on original rims? Or so
I have to get different wheels? Love the whole black look

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2014 12:56 #98685 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:Daily on road use
are you planning on using the jimny off road or do you just want to make it "look" like you use it off road?

if your only going for the offroad look i wouldnt bother IMO, knobbly tyres only increase fuel consumption and sap the little power we have and lifting it will make it handle worse than they already do.

offroad mods are to make it better offroad not onroad, if its a on road only car i wouldnt bother modding it for offroad use just to look cool.

if you REALLY want the offroad look fit some AT's and a snorkel, 2 of the things most commonly assosiated with offroading ;)

all my opinion obviously.

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2014 13:03 #98688 by Jenksdogg
Replied by Jenksdogg on topic Re:Daily on road use
Will use it off road but more on road nothing extreme

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2014 14:53 #98705 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:Daily on road use
i use mine as my daily driver aswell as greenlaning, you can see from my signature what mods i have and it does very well in the rough stuff and is still very drivable on road, maintaining a reasonable MPG etc.

ive got mud tyres on mine but thats purely because i do alot of laning and they get pretty muddy and sloppy, i also venture out on my own so the muds help me not get stuck as easily.

you really need to decide what you want from the vehicle before spending shit loads on un needed mods. a lift is only really needed for fitting much bigger tyres, i run 195 80 15 MT with no lift and have no issues, these are slightly taller than stock tyres and perform well offroad as long as you stay out of really deep ruts (which you should anyway), under armour stops things getting damaged when you do ground out and is conciderably cheaper than a lift kit and massive tyres (not taking into account the other mods needed to run huge tyres, like a rocklobster).

get out there on the rough stuff in your standard jim and see just how well it will do then decide upon mods from there, dont just think "well everyone fits a 3" lift and 30" tyres so i must need them" as this probably isnt the case if your doing mild laning.

i have quite a few laning videos on my youtube (search my name) all in my unlifted jim if you want to see what they are capable of.

• tommyguns
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2014 21:19 #99444 by tommyguns
Replied by tommyguns on topic Re:Daily on road use
how do you find the kuhmos in the mud? thinking of getting some, but my main need is wet/muddy fields

• BensJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2014 20:36 #99552 by BensJimny
Replied by BensJimny on topic Daily on road use
Im a daily Jimny driver and despite the fuel consumption, it love it, on road its comfy, tall and intimidating and off road its a mean little beast! I've not added many off road parts as i only get the occasional play when up in Norfolk and therefore have not had the need. Spacers seemed appealing but ive found that lift kits on a car that's used on road for a majority of the time just result in it being slightly more unstable due to the height, a sharp corner your definitely clenching! A set of standard steel wheels do the job for me during winter or offroad (keep the alloys nice)! not a serious off roader but never had any problems! the stock jimny is more than adequate and i LOVE it! :)

More
11 Jan 2014 08:02 - 11 Jan 2014 08:33 #100089 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Daily on road use
lots of good advice above. mine is lifted but that's how i bought it . if i were purchasing a standard jimny i would go for tyres first. plenty of choice in a couple of sizes bigger than the standard tyres. i also run 195 80 15 muds and these will fit without any lift issues and will make your jim very capable off road. the 195 muds are taller than the standard tyres giving more ground clearance too.
no matter how far you do lift your jimny the ground clearance is determined by the tyre size you run. so a standard jim with the same tyres as mine will have the same ground clearance ( the diffs and shock mounts etc still remain in the same place ). a lift will also allow the fitting of even bigger tyres
lifting the jimny will give improved axle articulation however the articulation will be limited by bigger tyres. £400 ish should see you getting a brand new set of good tyres and modular rims. or £300 ish for tyres only.
before you consider the whole "monster truck look " , tyres much bigger than mine will require you to fit a transfer box with different gearing. i personally wouldn't go any bigger than what i have with the standard transfer box.
as said before , any modifications will compromise the road manners of the jimny so it is something to bear in mind.
hope this helps, rob

standard jimny - for now
Last edit: 11 Jan 2014 08:33 by robs5230.

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2014 10:58 #100090 by Jenksdogg
Replied by Jenksdogg on topic Daily on road use
New ride
Attachments:

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2014 11:23 #100093 by Jenksdogg
Replied by Jenksdogg on topic Daily on road use
Now after a back wheel carrier and some kind of spot lights to go on top then maybe tint back windows. Any off roaders near hereford or bromyard?

More
11 Jan 2014 21:01 #100152 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Daily on road use
purposeful looking motor there :) what size are the tyres ?

standard jimny - for now

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds