BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Daily on road use

• jimnyjack
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 13:28 #100679 by jimnyjack
Replied by jimnyjack on topic Daily on road use
If you get arms you can put the standard bushes in i think mate so you dont need the both. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 13:34 #100680 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Daily on road use
yea i dont think you need caster corrected bushes AND arms, the arms are carter corrected so id think normal bushes will be fine. dont the arms come with bushes? ring ORA they will help further.

probably pointless giving it to a garage, specially as we're all pretty certain its a caster issue.

anything over a 2"lift needs caster correction, the 2.5" ORA lift kit comes with CC bushes, CC arms are recomended for 3"+ lifts.

• jimnyjack
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 13:42 #100682 by jimnyjack
Replied by jimnyjack on topic Daily on road use
No the bushes are around an extra £230 for a full set i think mate.
Wish they did come with it though that would be nice!

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 14:15 - 15 Jan 2014 14:34 #100685 by jonesyba420
4x CC radius arms from ORA = £780
full set super pro bush set = £368.40 (im sure cheaper bushes are available)
tota = £1148.40

prices subject to P&P.

not a cheap issue to rectify :ohmy:

i personaly would have a really good look under your truck to try figure out what exactly has been fitted before you go ahead and buy anything.

another option (which id probably do in your situation) is to purchase this kit . i think this comes with everything needed APART from bushes. the chances are whoever lifted your jimny didnt do any of the other things to make it drive properly.you can then sell the lift kit thats on your truck currently to make abit of the money back ;) ;)

EDIT: just read abit more on the ORA site and you can use factory bushes in the CC arms.

i think you may still need other things for a 3"+ lift, longer/adjustable panhard rods are needed to realign the axles with the chassis, extended brake lines (you probably have these tho), prop spacer, need to re position the brake load valve thingy.

once everything is sorted it'll be seriously capable ;)
Last edit: 15 Jan 2014 14:34 by jonesyba420.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 14:22 #100686 by jonesyba420

Jenksdogg wrote: How do I know if I got or need correction bushes and castor arms etc.

only just noticed this and that no one seems to have answered it, i think if the caster is out the steering wont self center.if im wrong im sure someone will correct me ;)

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 17:03 #100703 by Jenksdogg
Replied by Jenksdogg on topic Daily on road use
Steering wheel is about 4-5pm in a straight line. Is it worth getting aligned? The caster bushes Ive already got apparently and are fairly new and offset. So I guess I may need to get some caster arms? The brake lines are new and extended. I just want to make it a bit safer handling on road. Thanks for helping guys any of you near Worcester or hereford want to show me what the hell I've got and what I'm doing lol?

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 18:24 - 15 Jan 2014 18:30 #100712 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic Daily on road use
If you have standard panhard rods don't bother sorting out the steering if you plan on changing them, you'll just have to do it again. Panhard rods stop sideways movement of the axle, one end is attached to the chassis and the other the axle. (If you didn't know)

Also for radius arms, I use Rhino Rays. for 3" lift but they are not suitable for a 4".
www.rhinorays.co.uk/suspension.htm

They are £120 an arm with bushes, so they are the cheapest on the market by a long way.
People slate Ray, but he was helpful to deal with, the arms fit perfectly and plenty strong with the "I" section.

As for road handling, you should have wheel spacers or offset wheels with that sort of lift/tyre combination.
Possibly a steering damper, which gives you more steering "feel" and takes out wheel wobble.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2014 18:30 by iloveics.

More
16 Jan 2014 06:55 #100762 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Daily on road use

Jenksdogg wrote: Steering wheel is about 4-5pm in a straight line. Is it worth getting aligned? The caster bushes Ive already got apparently and are fairly new and offset. So I guess I may need to get some caster arms? The brake lines are new and extended. I just want to make it a bit safer handling on road. Thanks for helping guys any of you near Worcester or hereford want to show me what the hell I've got and what I'm doing lol?

if you have caster corrected bushes you shouldn't need the arms. have a look at your front diff, if it looks vertical then the caster correction should be good. if the top of the diff tilts noticeably to the front of the car it may need caster correction. if it looks like the caster is corrected i'd have a look at more basic things , tracking , tyre pressures , then maybe wheel spacers to add a bit of stability and width.

standard jimny - for now

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2014 07:12 #100765 by Jenksdogg
Thanks rob you don't wanna pop ova and teach me a thing or two do you? I know how to drive a jeep bit mechanics I'm useless

More
16 Jan 2014 16:55 #100779 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Daily on road use

Jenksdogg wrote: Thanks rob you don't wanna pop ova and teach me a thing or two do you? I know how to drive a jeep bit mechanics I'm useless

please don't disregard other posters, some with more jimny experience than me, but my car has recently had the cc bushes done and the angle of the front diff has been corrected.

standard jimny - for now

• Jenksdogg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2014 12:58 #100863 by Jenksdogg
jimny getting the tracking and wheel alignment done today so will go from there.

tempted to try and swap my wheels and tyres for some black modulars an A/Ts if anyone interested?

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds