BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Bikers

• noggin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2011 20:34 #16878 by noggin
Replied by noggin on topic Re: Bikers
Street triple R's are awesome, plenty of poke from the 675 triple and a chassis to match! I've just given up my bike for a while now to fund the Jimny (a much safer prospect in theory) but will probably get a new one in a couple of years.

And it'll probably be a speed triple (more comfy)

Craig G(Noggin)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2011 17:15 #17057 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Re: Bikers

Keefe wrote: Ones I've seen have been the 675cc of round 2009/10.
I'm not bothered about going back up to 1000+cc anymore.
It'll just be a fine day toy.
Similar:-
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ah, OK. I'll have to take mine in for a service sometime and see if I can score one as a customer service bike. last time I got the Sprint 1050ST, loads of torque but an annoying finger numbing vibe through the bars.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• Keefe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2011 21:14 - 06 Jun 2011 21:15 #17445 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Bikers
Not got very far as the funds are/have dried up.
Waiting to get back to work, it's taken a little longer than I expected.

Nearly bought a Cowasaki, yesterday, what do you think?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Last edit: 06 Jun 2011 21:15 by Keefe.

• Jimaroid
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2011 13:39 #17467 by Jimaroid
Replied by Jimaroid on topic Re: Bikers
Street Triple R's are amazing bikes. Generally considered as the class leader for middle weight naked / street bikes. A lot of folk rate the Street Triple R as the more fun bike between it and the bigger engined Speed Triples in recent years. Not that the Speed is bad, mind.

I'd love a Street Triple R, hope you manage to find the funds. :D

• Keefe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2011 13:57 #17468 by Keefe
Thanks for that, hopefully back to my job in the not too far off future.
Once it's not obvious that I have 'dead foot'. :)

Yep, really, really fancy the 675cc triple, read some more and it does seem to come out with some high scores.

K :)

More
12 Jun 2011 18:26 #17685 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Bikers
16/08/2010 @ 13:20 I was sitting on my Vespa PX 200 (yes I'm a mod but had a Fazer 600 as my first bike!) waiting to pull out onto a major roundabout.

There was a Blue Ford Focus coming past on the roundabout and it was clear for me to enter the roundabout after that.

I entered it alright!!! Having been shunted there by a Golf travelling at 20mph who also saw the gap after the Focus, but not me!!!

My bike was bent in half and I managed to stay on it till it slowed and then step off it and lay it down gently in the hope no damage was being done.

I then looked over my shoulder at the 40T truck braking hard not to hit me. It didn't, hence I'm typing this!

I've bought a little run around Micra for getting to work and parking on the street where it's hard to park and managed to pay for it and insure and tax it with the insurance money from the Vespa.

I'll not go back now.

A friend of mine lost the use of an arm in a bike accident too.

I get my adrenaline off road at next to no speed now!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Jun 2011 19:46 #17689 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Bikers
Yeh, I'm with Kirkynut on this one :dry:

Started on Suzi AP50 in the 70's (yes I'm getting on I guess) - wrote off when an uninsured driver pulled out a side street. Then got a 250 Honda Superdream at 17 but wrote if off 5 days before sitting my test, my own fault, diesel on a roundabout - GS750 behind me ran over my head (kept the helmet for a while, had a lovely tyre track on it). Borrowed a yamaha DT175 from the shop to take my test and the next day was off on a Sealy Honda 750 - after a few months, head on collision with another bike (the muppet came around a bend on my side of the road, oh how we laughed :pinch: . Thereafter, an old fart with an overloaded wreck pulled out a side street whilst I had a girlfried on pillion - managed to nearly evade him, glanced off his front wing - took out the front end, but managed to keep it upright coming to a halt 100 yards down the road. That's when my insurance co took offence and in todays terms wanted £4k a year - hence stopped biking.

Nearly went back to biking last year, was looking at either a hornet of the street triple :evil: , even got to the stage where I bought the gear, helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, chains, disc alarm - several hundreds worth, then came to my senses. Looking back at my track record in the late 70's early 80's, when there were half as many cars around and Joe public was largely more responsible and "slow" - what chance would I have to day.

Right, that's me just talked myself into some ORA bumpers - and maybe I'll wear my helmet :lol:

• Keefe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2011 20:09 #17690 by Keefe
April 1980 @ 1754.
I know this as my watch stopped through the tarmac wearing the glass face etc away.
Stepped off at one hundred and twenty silly odd miles an hour, broke my leg in two places and grazed my ego. Quite lucky really. Learned how to roll when I was younger on and off the track.
31 years later, after one or two other short term rides, I just fancy going back to, sunny w/end two wheels.
Even though, due to the above accident, which has slowly knacked my knee up and I've just recovered from a total left knee replacement at the ripe old age of 54. I still fancy the two wheels.
If things happen, things happen. Full leathers are lots better than they used to be. ;)
They keep you in one piece at least. As my Honda paramedic cousin keeps telling me.
A branch coming through the windscreen can sting a little if you're unlucky.

Numpties on the road and all those other 'experiences' are all true, been in those situations and had to deal with the aftermath of same situations, usually just as it was coming up to the end of shift but they still don't put me off.

I fancy a bike! Just need the funds now that I've spent them on fancies for the Jim such as snorkel, rock lobster, cb, trailer etc etc!

Oh well, perhaps eventually. That's if the lobster doesn't fall off the shelf and kill me! ;)

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 09:55 #17766 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Bikers
Let me tell you about my story also :) had a nice Kawasaki GPZ 500s made in 1988. Old, but a very nice bike: black and red fairings, parallel twin cylinders, water cooled, dual front brake discs, 60 poneys. Looked a lot like this one, only had the wheels red instead of black:

File Attachment:

One late evening, I fueled the bike and was returning home traveling on a "national road" (3 lanes on each direction), going the speed limit (about 70 km/h). Right in the middle of the very travelled road, there was something white and big... looked like a big concrete slab! it covered about 75% of my lane, so I managed to swerve around it (remaining in my lane during the entire maneuver). The white stuff was actually ... a bed mattress :blink:

Unfortunately, behind me (on the same lane) there was a speeding taxi coming from the airport in a big rush (money-money-money). The technical report said it was also going the speed limit (yeah, right); he had to change lanes suddenly to avoid the mattress, but there was another car going much slower in the other lane. In order to avoid this car, he swerved back on the previous lane ... but that's where I was.

File Attachment:

His brake marks were 12 meters long before hitting me dead on. The bike remained vertical and sliced through his bonnet like a hot knife through butter, breaking both radiators and almost hitting the engine block. I flew in the air, spun around a few times and landed directly on my shoulder (breaking it in two places), then I glided a bit more on the tarmac destroying my leather jacket and backpack.

I was very proud of my brand new, shiny red Shoei X-Spirit (only had it for 3 days) which survived without even ONE scratch. I can't really understand how this happened :laugh: also upgraded my arm with a titanium plate and 12 screws:

File Attachment:

This was 3 years ago. Since then, things got much worse on the streets; inexperienced or simply stupid drivers which "can't see me" in a 2 meter car with shiny headlamps ? bummer ... so, I've switched to offroading :P

• Keefe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 10:25 - 14 Jun 2011 10:27 #17769 by Keefe
Hope you're ok now Vaxxi and got your money out of the taxi driver!
As my mate says, "It was your time!" :( ;)

One of my 'nearly' times was one night, I was belting down the M/way doing 3 figures as usual when I had to swerve and managed to miss what turned out to be an engine 'dumped' in the outside lane. Just as I was thinking, "Silly place to leave a motor." I had to stand the bike on its nose to avoid running over two bodies, one male in the outside, the other a decapitated female (girlfriend of driver it turned out) in the middle lane. Stopped by the emergency phone, did the obvious and then shot back down the M/way to stop/slow other motorists. Very few luckily.
When the traffic plods arrived, with his telescopic roof light in the Range Rover. We found what was left, very little, of the Lotus Europa they had been in. Horrid smell at the time, turned out to be what was left of the great black and white cow they had hit!
Luckily for me, it was thier time, not mine. Otherwise it would have been me that would've been in front of them on the road.

My 'time' came a few years after that but luckily I was able to walk limp away from that. 30 years after I had to go and have the damage caused then put right.

New titanium and polyethylene knee!

Stay Lucky ;)

Keith :)
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 10:27 by Keefe. Reason: picture

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 10:31 - 14 Jun 2011 10:32 #17770 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Bikers
No money yet; the taxi driver fled the country, lawsuit is still going on (3 years after).

Damn, after reading your story and seeing the pics, I got off quite easily it seems :blink: :blink: :blink:

For those (still) about to bike, we salute you! :cheer:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 10:32 by VAXXi.

• Keefe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 13:37 #17776 by Keefe
:laugh: "'Tis but a scratch, Sire!" ;)

I hope they/you catch the bugger!
Did he stay long enough to see how you were or did he have it away on his toes as soon as he hit you? :evil:

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds