BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Our new addition! Finally joined properly...

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2011 22:22 #13122 by biggaz
Mine was VERY close to the towbar so i know what you mean, a poorly rubber hanger or slightly loose fitting and it will knock!

Just grab the tailpipe and move around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• v8dougie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 09:04 #13147 by v8dougie
Well, been out this morning and checked diff and gearbox levels, all low...so full service history doesn't necessarily mean perfect!

I have drained the front diff, all came out very clean, I suppose as you would expect as it has free wheeling hubs. The rear diff was okay, bit discoloured and a nice metallic colour glup on the magnetic plug. So that is showing some where but not bad. The filler and drain plugs were well rusted and absolutely no sign of leaking oil, so that shows they have not been checked or filled for a very long time.

Now my question is, what oil do I put in. Got myself very confused! Am I correct in thinking I use EP80w90 GL-5 gear oil in the diffs? What do I use in the transfer and gear boxes?

Also, had a wiggle of the various components underneath, including the transfer box, which was very moveable on its mounts. Very soft rubber, but no signs of splitting. I could very easily move the transfer box at least 10 to 15mm without much effort, in any direction as the mounts were so soft. Is this right? I took the opportunity to regrease the prop with my grease gun, and that took a bit, but then it started to move the transfer box on its mountings because of the pressure inside it...so I stopped filling! Any help gratefully received.

Finally, checked the exhaust, small amount of movement, but clear of the towbar, and if it was to hit it it would be a distinctive clunk, not what I am hearing. So thinking it must be something else.

Cheers

• v8dougie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2011 19:22 #17798 by v8dougie
Hi,

Thought I would let you all know that the Jimny is progressing well. Has now received a CB radio with spare wheel mounted aerial and a set of nearly new BF Goodrich 215/75s Mud Terrains.

Also has had the gearbox and transfer fluids changed, gearbox looks like it had Auto Transmission Fluid in it, is that normal? Since changing and filling with EP75/90 it is a tricky to get into 2nd when cold...thoughts?

This weekend just gone, fitted an alarm system off fleebay, very good kit for under £40. Was a doddle to fit as access to under the dash was really easy. A touch difficult as could not find a wiring diagram, but managed to work it out with a trusty multimeter! Did hit a stumbling block trying to fathem out the central locking. It seems to be a positive (12v) trigger system, but that did not seem to agree with the wiring diagram in the alarm system. 3.5hrs later managed to get it to work!

So I now have a pretty cool, even if I do say so myself, alarm system on the car. Remote central locking, auto lock if doors not opened. Secondary immobiliser system. Ultrasonic sensors and motion sensored alarm. Auto lock doors once moving, auto unlock when engine switched off.

All round pretty good I think.

Also had some diff guards and a transfer box guard made up, will be fitting them this weekend and will try and take some pics if anyone interested. They are only made out of 4mm steel, but do not need to look pretty and only cost £90 for the lot! Along with the KAP Suzuki HD mounts that I have got off Jason from this forum it is well on its way to a Landy beater (shhh never said that, my series will get upset!)

Just the 2inch lift to go...

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2011 04:25 #17806 by srcars
B) Sounds like you have been busy, just a word of warning, I have diconnected my all singing alarm as if I didnt drive it for a few days I would have a flat battery, shame as I liked the remote central locking.
Yes pics of guards please :)

Nice to see a LR owner seeing the potential of the little Jap motors ;)

More
15 Jun 2011 06:56 #17810 by kirkynut
Gearbox and transfer box should be GL 4, diffs GL 5. The thickness is part of it the GL bit is about oil additives and GL4 won't damage brass bushes and guides is what I read somewhere, possibly on difflock, so that depends on the writer knowing what he was on about!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds