× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Death Wobble idea ?????????

• Gary Whenmouth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2010 21:09 #8392 by Gary Whenmouth
Death Wobble idea ????????? was created by Gary Whenmouth
Has anyone tried beefing up the panhard rod mounts to the chassis as this looks as if it is flimsy. I've a feeling that beefing these up may help cure some problems.
Maybe someone could fabricate a beefed up bracket??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2010 21:17 #8394 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????
iirc, adamski had trouble with severe wobble which came down to the panhard bush sleeves?

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2010 21:43 #8401 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????

biggaz wrote: iirc, adamski had trouble with severe wobble which came down to the panhard bush sleeves?

Yeah that's right, turned out my brand new adjustable panhard rods and bushes were the cause of my extreme wobble. The car was undrivable and when I spoke to kap (who I bought them from) they said there latest batch of bushes were dodgy. I cut the metal sleeves down by about 7mm and the wobble was significantly improved, however is not 100% cured (although it is now only very slight and not really an issue). I've just ordered a steering damper so will see what that does.

I know what you mean about the weak mounts, the panhard rods take so much strain so will need to be as strong as possible, it's worth trying and letting the forum know as this could fix a very annoying problem which affects most of us (including my mothers totally standard 2005 jimny).

• Gary Whenmouth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2010 22:40 #8408 by Gary Whenmouth
Replied by Gary Whenmouth on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????
Im definatly going to fit a steering damper once i have paid off my g/f for buying my jimny, currently its off the road after buying it back after selling it a year ago. Just happy to see it back!. I know it has had new panhard rod bushes which the previous owner had to replace as i had fitted some KAP supplied before i sold it which failed. I have all new kingpins/bearings and the car does have a slight wobble between 30-35mph, it does have very big wheels and no steering damper so this needs sorting first. Let me know how the steering damper goes once you fit it, im going to pop into KAP as i pass there often, probs book in my jimny for a makeover! i could easily spend to much as i want the wide arch kit and a full external cage.

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2010 09:43 #8424 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????

Gary Whenmouth wrote: Im definatly going to fit a steering damper once i have paid off my g/f for buying my jimny, currently its off the road after buying it back after selling it a year ago. Just happy to see it back!. I know it has had new panhard rod bushes which the previous owner had to replace as i had fitted some KAP supplied before i sold it which failed. I have all new kingpins/bearings and the car does have a slight wobble between 30-35mph, it does have very big wheels and no steering damper so this needs sorting first. Let me know how the steering damper goes once you fit it, im going to pop into KAP as i pass there often, probs book in my jimny for a makeover! i could easily spend to much as i want the wide arch kit and a full external cage.

No probs, I'll keep you posted. Ive heard mixed reviews about them stopping the wheel wobble, guess I will soon find out :)

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2010 10:08 #8428 by biggaz
mine still has a bit wobble with the damper fitted :-(

Maybe that shows it depends where your wobble is coming from as to if it stops it on your particular truck??

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2010 15:02 #8451 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????
What damper did you fit biggaz?

More
30 Dec 2010 18:32 #8460 by mlines
In general dampers do not stop death wobble, they stop wandering and give the steering a nice firm feel.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2010 19:21 #8466 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????

mlines wrote: In general dampers do not stop death wobble, they stop wandering and give the steering a nice firm feel.

Martin

Mine doesnt have this " death wobble " however it does like wandering and takes a min to realise what direction im pointing it lol - hence the other thread.... perhaps this damper answer would be perfect for me :)

• Gary Whenmouth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2010 20:13 #8474 by Gary Whenmouth
Replied by Gary Whenmouth on topic Re: Death Wobble idea ?????????
Im thinking if my old grand vitara has a damper, will look tomorrow, that always feels like its wandering like the jimny does, think its a suzuki thing! Though it is running 255/55/16 tyres over the original 235/60/16. They seem to make it feel as if it tramlines on the motorway.

More
03 Jan 2011 17:56 #8785 by Cash
My 2007 has had every form of death wobble and each time it was quickly fixed on warranty, and every time I asked what was the cause I got a vague answer.

To cut a long story short there was one common denominator; The wobble started after every service, and after every service the Jimny was pressure washed and polished. On it's last service (the 36000 mile) it again had a wobble and this time it would no doubt cost me money and this time it was at 45 to 50mph. By chance I noticed an old and rusty balance weight on the rim of one of the front wheels and I knew the front wheels had been fitted with stick-on weights in the middle of the rim. You've guest it the weights had been washed off and and old clip-on weight fitted by the pressure washer.

My local tyre dealer took a couple of attempts to balance the wheels because he hadn't got the correct adapter for the Jimny alloys. He told me they were an absolute bugger to balance without it and I haven't had a problem since, fingers crossed.

I hope this is of some help.

Dave

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 18:31 #8789 by biggaz
Bert, mines the rough country damper kit from llama 4x4.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds