× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Bent Steering Damper…

More
22 Sep 2024 16:40 #257636 by Potts
Recent Jimny (2008) owner. Noticed that a couple of the track rod ends were leaking grease, so bought a set of 4 and replaced them yesterday. When down there I noticed that the steering damper (2 years old apparently) bracket looked misshapen, so removed it all. See pic. Any idea what would cause this to go so misshaped? Poor quality kit? Previous owner says it’s not been off-roaded.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2024 16:46 - 22 Sep 2024 17:11 #257637 by jackonlyjack
I would say it was not centered correctly when fitted
Or has the damper seized try open and closed motion 
Last edit: 22 Sep 2024 17:11 by jackonlyjack.

More
22 Sep 2024 17:24 #257639 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Bent Steering Damper…

I would say it was not centered correctly when fitted
Or has the damper seized try open and closed motion 

Most likely not centred correctly, so it has bent when going to full lock one way.  If it had seized then it would have made the steering unbelievable heavy before it bent the plate.

Even if it wasn't centred, then that has had a fair amount of force to bend the plate like that (I assume it is a steel plate and not aluminium) and if the vehicle hasn't been off-road you would almost think it had hit the kerb (at some speed) or something similar to bend it that much.

It might be worth inspecting the other steering components unless you did already.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Sep 2024 18:13 #257640 by Potts
Replied by Potts on topic Bent Steering Damper…
Thanks for replying guys. Yeah, it's a strange one. I'm leaning towards both your suggestion that it wasn't properly centred - the previous owner mentioned that he'd fitted it... No sign of any other damage - it sits on its original (straight) alloys. Maybe it's progrssivly become more bent over time.

The steering feels a bit wayward, so thought I'd start by adjusting the steering box and changing the track rod ends, then noticed the damper. If that's no improvement, I'll do the king pins. Interesting that the weeping track rod ends were both on the front steering drag bar though, or is that typical for a Jimny?. Cheers

More
22 Sep 2024 18:46 #257643 by jackonlyjack
Firstly be careful adjusting steering box
Are the rod ends posh ones with grease nipples 
Change all 4 rod ends 
I made my own damper brackets from some 5mm wall box section and used a disco 1 steering damper some pictures on my Jimny page, page 10 

More
22 Sep 2024 19:40 #257644 by Potts
Replied by Potts on topic Bent Steering Damper…

Firstly be careful adjusting steering box
Are the rod ends posh ones with grease nipples 
Change all 4 rod ends 
I made my own damper brackets from some 5mm wall box section and used a disco 1 steering damper some pictures on my Jimny page, page 10 

Thanks jackonlyjack. Yes, I only adjusted the box in small increments (I've experience of adjusting BMW racks - it's easy to take them too far).
Not the posh rod ends, but the MOOG brand recommended by Jimnybits. All four changed yesterday, though not road tested yet, as I'm waiting for a new exhaust to be delivered. Nice one making your own - I think I'd already seen your post. I'm not sure if my welding skills would be up to it though! 

More
22 Sep 2024 19:42 #257645 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Potts

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds