× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Newbie Conundrum

More
07 Aug 2024 16:04 #257129 by Brian J
Newbie Conundrum was created by Brian J
Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2019 1.5 SZ-5.   In the week or so I have had it, love has already blossomed.   More importantly, my wife loves it too.

However, it has me - and my dealer - puzzled.   Thanks to my careless pressure-washing, a plastic clip found its way onto the ground under the car.     Neither I nor my dealer can work out where it belongs.  It looks to be some sort of pipe/cable protector or router - see pictures attached.   The car runs perfectly fine without it but Suzuki wouldn’t have added something without a purpose.

I should be very grateful if anyone can solve this puzzle for me.

Thanks, Brian 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2024 17:08 #257130 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Newbie Conundrum
It's usually on (or in) one of the front frame hooks #6 in the diagram
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2024 17:30 #257131 by Brian J
Replied by Brian J on topic Newbie Conundrum
Thank you so much. I may sleep tonight now, safe in the knowledge that some pipe/cable is not going to fail for want of a clip.

This said, what is its purpose? To protect the hook, stop rattles…?

More
07 Aug 2024 18:48 #257132 by fordem
My guess is it's to protect the hook during transportation, one of my Jimnys came with it, the other didn't.

More
07 Aug 2024 19:01 - 07 Aug 2024 19:04 #257133 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Newbie Conundrum
It looks as though it could protect the hook from rope damage if you tie the car down with it.

Anyone else just dashed outside to see if they have any?

My 2019 SZ5 doesn't have any, and couldn't have had any from about 3 months after I bought it new because I sprayed the underneath including the hooks with black Dinitrol the first Summer I had it.

Maybe they are supposed to be removed after transport but someone forgot one of yours, and you dislodged it with the jetwasher.

You are a brave man though, I wouldn't dare take a jetwasher anywhere near the micro thin "paint" and protective coatings on mine, just the hosepipe!

Make sure you keep it away from the ball ends on the axle, a pressure jet will go straight through the dust seal and fill the housings with water, which the lower bearings won't appreciate.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2024 19:04 by facade.

More
07 Aug 2024 19:21 #257134 by Brian J
Thanks again.

It’s lasted well whatever its purpose; it must have been in place for nearly 4 years.

I managed to find an image of one in situ from YouTube, to confirm its orientation. See:

I was using a low-pressure washer under the car to prepare it for some Lanoguard, as quick and easy way to give some rust protection - I hope to keep the Jimny for a long time. I’ll see how it goes and whether I need to look at something ‘more sophisticated.

Happy Jimnying, Brian

More
07 Aug 2024 19:37 #257135 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Newbie Conundrum
Just been out to check my 3. My 2019 SZ5 doesn't have any and hasn't had any since it was new from looking through my pictures from when I picked it up. My 2021 LCV has them on the rear but is missing the front on. My 2023 lcv has them all around. So possibly an LCV thing? No idea what their purpose is apart from protecting the metal possibly during shipping. Certainly doesn't look important to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian J

More
07 Aug 2024 19:44 #257136 by fordem

I didn't realise you wanted see it "in situ" and no, it's not an LCV thing, this is a JC74 GLX or in your parlance an SZ5
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2024 21:40 #257137 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Newbie Conundrum
None on mine, but then it was 3 years old when I took ownership.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will continue to love your Jimny, they are definitely keepers.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
07 Aug 2024 21:49 #257138 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Newbie Conundrum

<snip>

I was using a low-pressure washer under the car to prepare it for some Lanoguard, as quick and easy way to give some rust protection - I hope to keep the Jimny for a long time. I’ll see how it goes and whether I need to look at something ‘more sophisticated.

Happy Jimnying, Brian

I was thinking of getting a gallon of lanolin, warming it up and spraying the axles & running gear using the waxoyl gun during the hot weather, but we don't seem to have had any!

If we could have a couple of weeks of warm dry weather I'd top up the Dinitrol at least - it has been 5 years since I did it, how time flies!

By all accounts though, lanolin only lasts a couple of years, so hardly worth putting the waxoyl gun away if I do it......

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
08 Aug 2024 06:59 #257140 by Brian J
Lanoguard is advertised as lasting a year. But it is very easy to apply. I did mine without lifting the Jimny and crawling around underneath. The car needs to be left a day or two afterwards for the wax to cure.

Lanoguard is quite a runny liquid and easy to apply with a hand sprayer that you can get as part of a kit. It is worth protecting your driveway possible staining from run-off with plastic sheets. This said, it is a great deal less messy than alternatives and doesn’t need any sophisticated equipment.

The real test, though, is how the underneath of the car looks next year. I live in a rural area where animal and other muck abounds, and our main road, as a schools bus route, is routinely salted.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds