× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M13a non-vvt to m16a vvt swap

More
02 Aug 2024 04:57 - 02 Aug 2024 05:09 #257045 by JunkDog
So I know there's a lot of threads about it, I've been reading everything I can in different forums and threads, and from what I understand, it's possible to swap a non-vvt m13a with a vvt m16a by using the vvt ecu, but adding an extra 2 wires for cam sensor and some effort into swapping pin locations in the ecu plug for the different ecu, as well as the usual using m13a sump, oil pick-up, manifolds, etc.

But what I haven't been able to find and was wondering is:
If the Jimny non-vvt m13a parts are still good to swap onto the vvt m16a or if they need to be the Jimny vvt m13a?
If my Jimny currently being an KAP ecu is a problem?
And if the EOBD ecu in what is currently a KAP Jimny will allow me to read the codes with a more generic code reader instead of needing a specialty Suzuki KAP diagnostic tool?
Last edit: 02 Aug 2024 05:09 by JunkDog. Reason: Spelling error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2024 05:09 #257046 by JunkDog
Some extra info if it helps....
2004 Suzuki Jimny Sierra (wide body) JB43 Auto stock, but in pretty rough shape (New Zealand/Australia spec vehicle)
The current m13a non-vvt engine in my Jimny has many issues and is on it's way out (from the previous owner), if I'm going to go to the effort of doing an engine swap I may aswell get a little extra power out of it and I'm well aware it would be easier to swap a non-vvt m16a.
However so far I've been unable to find a non-vvt m16a in New Zealand, every liana I've seen has been m18a vvt, and everything else I've seen has been either m15a vvt or m16a vvt.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Aug 2024 06:32 #257047 by Lambert
The 1.8 fits just as easily....

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Aug 2024 20:28 #257050 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic M13a non-vvt to m16a vvt swap
The easiest option is to swap your cylinder head and timing cover on to a VVT block (as well as all the usual things required for an engine swap). They are the only parts that are different, so you then have a non-VVT M16A that will be plug and play with your Jimny.
I've done 2 1.6 swaps and TBH if I did another I'd do the head gaskets at the same time anyway, regardless of VVT or not. Both the swaps I've done have had head gaskets go less than 30,000 miles later.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Aug 2024 04:32 #257067 by Lambert
Because you don't need to swap the head over if you are replacing like with like. It's only relevant if you are using the short block from your donor 1.6 as otherwise you wouldn't need to open the motor.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds