× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help!

More
12 Jul 2024 19:47 #256761 by Jigg
Help! was created by Jigg
Hi long time reader first time poster.

so I have had my jimny for about 3 years as a project then I had it off the road for 2 years and the last 2 months I decided to get it sorted so I could enjoy it like I intended. 

So the last few months it has been great running well. I took it for MOT and it passed so today I decided to tackle the last things it needed doing. I did the king pins and swivel seals on both sides, front wheel bearings both sides and also found the snapped metal pipes for the 4wd and replaced all the metal pipes for pvc pipes, I also changed the front axel oil and the engine oil and filter. 

so here’s my problem I have just taken it out after completing all this work and the car has started miss firing quite badly I know it is impossible to diagnose an engine misfire over a forum but would any of the work I have done today cause this miss fire or could it just be a coincidence? 

thanks every one look forward to enjoying the forum as a member now instead of a stalker. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2024 20:09 #256762 by Jigg
Replied by Jigg on topic Help!
Sorry and for context my jimny is a 2003 m13a engine

More
12 Jul 2024 22:42 #256763 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Help!
Does it miss fire when hot, cold, at low revs or any revs? This might help determine what is wrong.

It’s unlikely that any of the works you have done caused the problem, however, you might have trapped or snagged a sensor wire which is causing the problem.

Another possibility, is the battery flat?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
13 Jul 2024 04:35 #256764 by Jigg
Hi sorry I missed so much info out,

So when it idles it is fine it is not hunting through the rev range it sits happily not moving. As soon as you give it any revs it sounds like a little 3 cylinder it sounds very bubbly.

It is the same whether it is hot or cold,

More
13 Jul 2024 06:13 #256765 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic Help!
It sounds more likely to be one of the usual cam or crank angle sensor failures, or a coil pack.

More
13 Jul 2024 10:25 #256766 by Jigg
Got it sorted this morning set of plugs and she’s all good again.

More
13 Jul 2024 11:59 #256767 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Help!
That’s good news. Spark plug failure isn’t very common these days, plugs last for years, unless they were the original ones?

It would be worth looking at the colour and condition of the plugs and compare against a chart to see if it suggests another problem, like running rich, lean, oily or over-heating?

Is one plug worse than the others, the cylinder with the misfire?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds