× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Stability control

More
05 Jul 2024 12:10 #256643 by Rogerzilla
Stability control was created by Rogerzilla
Going around a couple of roundabouts this morning, I knew the road would be slippy - rain after a long dry spell - so wasn't  exactly pushing it.  It suddenly felt as if I had a flat front tyre when turning, and did the same on the next roundabout.  Stopped and checked pressures - all spot on.  Rest of trip was normal.

Is the ESP really intrusive like this?  It honestly felt as if something was broken.  I'd rather have had a little rear end slippage, which you can feel through your buttocks - I'm used to that as I had an old MX-5 with no driver assistance at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2024 18:44 #256648 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Stability control
Most likely the stability control kicking in.

There is a hill with a severe bend on the way to my Mum’s, I pushed my Gen 4 down it a little faster than expected trying to overtake something that was in the inside lane and got something similar to you.

My Gen 3 would never have done that on the very same tyres, not that I would have tried the outside lane in my Gen 3.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Jul 2024 18:55 #256650 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Stability control
Yeah I've had my Gen 4s esp kick in on some corners and roundabouts where the car tries to brake. Most times I would probably agree with it that I was probably taking the turn too fast although sometimes I think it overreacts as I've felt in control with the situation. 

More
10 Jul 2024 06:30 #256710 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic Stability control
The slipperiness of the roundabout where it first happened is the top local news story today (other cars have turned over or spun out) so I'll cut the Jimny some slack.  It's next to a filling station so may be slick with spilt diesel.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jul 2024 09:28 #256712 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Stability control
I don't get how it's possible to roll a car over on a roundabout unless you are driving impaired? Diesel or not, it's a roundabout exercise a little caution.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Jul 2024 09:34 #256714 by Rogerzilla
Once a car starts sliding sideways, it only takes contact with the kerb to flip it over. A taller car would flip at a lower speed.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jul 2024 09:41 #256715 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Stability control
I get the physics of how I was more worried that a roundabout was designed in such a way as to encourage people to enter it with the kind of speed that would result in enough impact energy to cause a flip, that and that people wouldn't be going slower to perform manoeuvres safely anyway.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Jul 2024 20:08 #256726 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Stability control
A major problem with roundabouts are the ruts created by heavy commercial vehicles whose tyres dig into the surface. A lot of drivers expect the stability control to get them out of problems and a lot of the time it will do just that, but it wont do that all the time.
My home town of Redditch is littered with islands that have worn out/badly positioned white lines with too many drivers trying to get there faster than anybody else with lots of brocken up gravel just waiting to upset some drivers day.

Roger

More
11 Jul 2024 05:46 #256732 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Stability control
You could also check the tyre pressure if it is correct. Different tyres front and rear may also make the system over sensitive.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
15 Jul 2024 20:15 #256787 by Rogerzilla
Just had it again on the same roundabout, about 15mph in second gear.  It's like an ice rink when it rains.  The BMW behind probably wondered why I went into the roundabout so slowly...then he understood as the car started bucking and snatching!  The ESP really is trigger-happy.

More
16 Jul 2024 04:46 #256790 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Stability control
I got the same with my old BFG's. They get old and hard after 4 years and slip and slide but only on some kinds of asfalt.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
16 Jul 2024 06:59 #256791 by Rogerzilla
I've reported it to the council but I doubt anything will be done.  I haven't had the ESP kick in anywhere else, wet or dry, but it will always do it at this junction.  There is something on the road.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds