BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil cooler for the m13a

More
28 Jun 2024 14:48 #256506 by Vandoni
I have a 2000 jimny with the m13a, i want to install an oil cooler to keep the temperature in check, since it climbs to over 120C when i push the car and i don't feel comfortable with that. I already have an oil sandwich plate and tubes, i also have a cooler, but i'm not sure if there's a "right" way to do this.
I'm worried i could starve the engine of oil on startup if i connect stuff the wrong way or that the oil pump could not be up to the task of pushing oil through additional small passages, does anybody know anything or has done something of the sort?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2024 20:25 #256518 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil cooler for the m13a
It sounds like you're adding uncertainty to fix something you are unsure of. 120c is within the normal operating range for engine oil. If you're concerned you could refer to the handbook, which specifies different service intervals for cars operating in more strenuous conditions. You might find more re-assurance from following these rather than modifying you car.

More
29 Jun 2024 18:53 #256540 by Roger Fairclough
As Buster said, 120c is ok. Only get worried if it climbs to 175c.

Roger

More
29 Jun 2024 19:43 #256544 by Vandoni
Replied by Vandoni on topic Oil cooler for the m13a
175?? i run bardahl 10w40 and it should be a little better for the temperatures, but i'm worried about oil pressure and film strength and stuff like that, i read that full synthetic oils can withstand almost 200 degrees for a decent time before breaking down, but the oil i'm running is only semi synthetic.

More
29 Jun 2024 20:04 #256545 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil cooler for the m13a
Why not use a synthetic oil then? Not that you really have anything to worry about. Consider that the M13A is the least powerful variant of the M series engines, and shares many of its mechanical components with other significantly more powerful versions, it's fairly safe to say you will not suffer any lubrication issues from driving it hard. The M16A in the Swift Sport makes 60% more power and they raced and used as hire-cars on the Nurburgring.

More
29 Jun 2024 20:21 #256546 by Vandoni
Replied by Vandoni on topic Oil cooler for the m13a
oh wow that's reassuring, thanks for the info guys, i'm grateful and more at peace now XD

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds