× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suzuki Jimny 1998

More
26 Jun 2024 09:31 #256452 by Spiteri
Suzuki Jimny 1998 was created by Spiteri
Hi everyone,

About 3 months I managed to buy a Suzuki Jimny 1998 (Manual) for my first car, it has around 140k Kilometers on it. I have recently installed a new clutch kit, change all the oil (Transmission, Engine, Transfer box, Differentials), all filters, and cleaned the EGR. 

I have noticed some problems with car which are these:
  1. When going uphill it loses power, even for a small uphill.
  2. When driving the 1st gear seems to accelerate well, 2nd has improved when I cleaned the EGR and installed the new clutch kit, 3rd seems ok, 4th doesn't accelerate as much and 5th seems ok.
  3. When it's stopped on an uphill I have to rev it well because even on 1st when going from a complete stop to start accelerate it is almost going to stall when going over the hill, than it starts to accelerate. ( The uphill aren't big hills even for small uphill.) 
The car seems a little sluggish, I know it's not designed for speed but I am scared that it might have something serious. My mechanic cannot tell what it could be he check with the computer it doesn't indicate any faults. When going downhill I managed to reach about 110km/h so it seems to accelerate quite well.

Hope my text is understandable and hope this community might know what it could be. 
Could you provide me with any suggestions what this could be. 

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2024 11:23 #256454 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Suzuki Jimny 1998
The usual reason is an exhaust blockage/restriction. There is a catalyst* at the exhaust manifold that breaks up and the pieces block the main catalyst under the floor.

* on newer models it is actually a petrol particulate filter.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
26 Jun 2024 12:17 #256455 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Suzuki Jimny 1998
Note that it varies between years and markets if there is the pre heated "twin cat" system. But at least most or all in EU got these.

I have replaced mine with one aftermarket generic cat bought for cheaps. Still pass the MOT here in Norway but that could be dumb luck.

My 2005 had the honeycomb elements in both manifold and below.
Possible to see if one is really a filter?

If there is a particle filter i know from other car brands it is possible to regenerate them by using a special chemical and blast around in high revs to "clean" it. Sometimes help, but often not.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
13 Aug 2024 10:10 - 13 Aug 2024 10:10 #257179 by Spiteri
Replied by Spiteri on topic Suzuki Jimny 1998
Thanks for your message I have managed to find the problem it was the timing. So I had bad timing.When I changed the timing belt the mechanic did not tell me that I had some pulley broken with a lost key and he did not tell me. Now I took it to another mechanic and fixed it. Now I could say I got the Jimny I wanted.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2024 10:10 by Spiteri.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds