× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Airbags and Seat Removal

More
06 Jun 2024 14:04 #256188 by Soeley
I was just wondering is it really necessary to disconnect the battery, to isolate the Airbags for a front seat removal? Or can you quite safely just disconnect the plug under the seat?

Below is a screenshot from the workshop manual, but are they being OTT as they they are with other procedures?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2024 17:59 #256190 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Airbags and Seat Removal
When the seat upholster repaired my seat they disconnected the battery on both terminals, a bit excessive I thought. Nothing much seemed to reset, not even the trips so I wasn’t bothered.

When I disconnected an airbag on my other car I disconnected the battery whilst I unplugged the airbag, then had to reconnect the battery to wind the window down. Unfortunately I didn’t put an airbag plug in, so I got an airbag fault light and had to reset it with a code reader.

I would be tempted to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected until the seat and airbag are back in.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, Filipao

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jun 2024 03:16 #256192 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Airbags and Seat Removal
Don't forget that the srs is backed up with capacitors as well as the connection to the battery so it's not a bad idea to have a cuppa between taking the battery off and playing with the bags.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
08 Jun 2024 08:31 #256206 by Roger Fairclough
I have removed both front seats on a number of occasions and everything works when putting them back. The intermittent air bag light was solved by disconnecting the seat plug and re-connecting.

Roger

More
08 Jun 2024 08:54 #256207 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Airbags and Seat Removal

I have removed both front seats on a number of occasions and everything works when putting them back. The intermittent air bag light was solved by disconnecting the seat plug and re-connecting.

Roger
Did you disconnect the battery Roger?

More
08 Jun 2024 16:19 #256218 by Roger Fairclough
No.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds